World's worst runner / C25K

Options

Replies

• laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think this is one of the most supportive, encouraging and informational posts I've ever read on MFP ;-)

And I agree with someone else - I read once on c25k tips that if you can run slower, you are going too fast. I'm sticking to that. :wink: Once I restart. LOL. (See, you aren't nearly as bad as you think you are.....)
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • BoxingAli
    BoxingAli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am a C25K graduate as of December 2011. 1 week after that, I ran my first 5k and have another one March 10th. I, too, had a hard time w/week 6. it mainly just 'scared' me that i was going to have to run for that long. But I do think that mind over body is true. Now, I am not a fast runner. On the treadmill, the fastest I go is 5.3. It may be 'slow' but I figure i will be passing the walkers. :) My first 5k, I finished in 37 minutes. I kept saying to myself "slow and steady wins the race". So maybe slowing down is something you should try. I don't know my speed when running outside but it's around a 12 minute mile. I hope to one day be at a 10 minute mile but right now, i am just happy that I can do it. So just stick w/ it, and you will one day realize that you can run for longer than 25 minutes and you will wonder why you were worried about it...Good Luck---you can totally do it!
  • nahralynn
    nahralynn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You're not the world's worst runner. You should be proud you got that far.

My health was so bad and I've been so sedintary, I'm actually working up to do the C25K. I ran 5 one minute intervals on Monday and it sucked.

You'll get there - push through. Consider going to a specialized shoe store and having your gait analyzed.

I'm doing the same thing. I started at 30 second jog 2 minute walk last week, this week I upped it to 45 sec to 1:45 walk. I may push the walk back to 2 minutes so my legs have more time to recover. I might have to repeat this next week but I never thought I would be jogging in the first place at over 300lb so I'm happy to just be doing it :)

I realized when I first started out that I was trying to go to fast, I go pretty slow as jogging standards I'm sure but it's faster than walking and gets my HR up (thank goodness for HR monitor!). I think I need to either pay attention to HOW i'm jogging or get new shoes because my shins hurt a lot during the jog.
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    I couldnt run longer then 10-15 mins at 6.0 speed. I slowed my speed down to 5.3 and I am running up to 50 mins now. SLOW DOWN please :) it works!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I realized when I first started out that I was trying to go to fast, I go pretty slow as jogging standards I'm sure but it's faster than walking and gets my HR up (thank goodness for HR monitor!). I think I need to either pay attention to HOW i'm jogging or get new shoes because my shins hurt a lot during the jog.
    Shin splints are usually either a result of:

1. Doing too much too soon
    2. Running on a bad (too hard or uneven) surface. Concrete is too hard.
    3. Unsupportive shoes

If you aren't trying to run more often than every other day and are running on asphalt, and not the sidewalk, then it's probably a case of needing new shoes.
  • jenniferlynn12
    Options
    I've been through the program twice now... I read on the C25K site, "If you can go any slower, you're going too fast" and that helped me SO much the second time through because I had the same problems as you the first time around-the jump was too fast. I go REALLY slowly (like 4.5 on the treadmill) and that helped me get through it... and for me it was mental--I finally just told myself I was going to run 2 miles without stopping, even if it was slow. Next day I did 2.25, etc... then I was motivated and said, "i'm going to do 3" and did it!-felt so good! It's still slow but I'm progressing more distance and faster each time. And I just registered for a half marathon in September so now I'm motivated to do this! :) Good luck... keep up the good work!
  • mrsjimmo
    mrsjimmo Posts: 7
    Options
    I uses the c25k app for 4 weeks and the. Got to the point where I just couldn't tolerate the runs anymore. I finally got discouraged and stopped using the program.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    This has been a good topic. I start week 5 on Sunday. I guess it's a good thing I can do it outside and don't have to think about my speed. I used to be one of those walkers passing up joggers. I always got a kick out that, but I still want to be a runner again.
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Ireally needed to read this thread tinight...I feel like I'm stuck in week 6 and will never get out. Mind over matter is my issue...I think. I ave a hard time thinking about aanything but the time I've been in the treadmill...
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I uses the c25k app for 4 weeks and the. Got to the point where I just couldn't tolerate the runs anymore. I finally got discouraged and stopped using the program.
    You might be a candidate for interval walk/running if you're still interested in the sport. I don't run more than 3-4 minute at a time, except at the end of a race if I still have lots of energy left. 3 minutes running and 1 minute walking are my normal pace and I'm doing just great! One half marathon under my belt, along with several shorter races, and two more planned between now and June.

Check out Jeff Galloway's site if you want more information: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

To the OP, I keep checking back to see how you're doing. Please post back and let us know!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was 40. At first it was really, really hard (I used C25K). I had pain in my calves, shins, etc.... The shoes are the most important thing. Go get fitted at a running store and be sure to replace them when they start to get worn (about 300-400 miles, depending on the shoe and how you run). I had much less pain after I got the right shoes. Running should get easier as your warm up, not harder. I used to think I would never be able to run. Now I run 5-6 miles 3X/week and 1 long run of 10-12 miles. You can do it!

Other things to remember: cold air makes it harder to run, so slow down; it is OKAY to take a walk break if you need it, I STILL do sometimes; how you have been eating the couple of days before impacts how running will feel; make sure you are properly hydrated; running is just sometimes HARD. It is OKAY if it feels difficult sometimes. A lot of running is just a mind game. If you tell yourself you can do it, you can!
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have "reset" my C25K program to week 5, and started today. I ran at 5MPH vs. the 6 I was going. I was far, FAR less winded. I'm very encouraged and know I'm going to complete the program !
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I have "reset" my C25K program to week 5, and started today. I ran at 5MPH vs. the 6 I was going. I was far, FAR less winded. I'm very encouraged and know I'm going to complete the program !
    Yay!

Now you're going to take my World's Worst Runner crown from me! :wink:
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Congrats and good luck for the rest of it!
    Yay!

Now you're going to take my World's Worst Runner crown from me! wink
    Berry, you make me laugh! You are NOT even the worst. :flowerforyou:
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Awsome. I am training now for a full marathon but only a few years ago I was struggling to run 10 minutes straight and used a C25K program.

I think alot of people that have problems get caught up on making sure they run the distance, everyone is at different fitness levels and I would just focus at running at a pace that you feel comfortable. The distance will come with pratice.

I wouldn't beat yourself up as the worlds worst runner either, the worst is the one who doesn't even try.

What I really like about the sport of running is it's all about personal best and you will find there will be people cheering you to the finish line during your first 5k, just like the person who runs the distance in the fastest time.

Good luck :)
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a bad/worst runner. You have already done better than all those that have not gotten off the couch. Keep at it and it will get easier.
  • chattychick
    chattychick Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin watch. And I LOVE it. It tells me pace per mile, which helps me to know if I need to speed it up or slow down.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Sorry -- this may have been mentioned. :)

One thing that helps me GREATLY is running to music -- both to cure my boredom and keep me on pace. I find that I tend to run right along with the beat of the music. I came across this site which lists music according to the pace: http://jog.fm/

I haven't actually tried out that site yet (I already have a bunch of songs that have worked well for me in the past), but I plan to.

Good luck with your next run!
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I started week 7 last night. I'd been doing the run parts of the program at 5mph but I couldn't do that last night. I had to drop down to 4.7mph and still needed to take a few breaks. I'm trying week 7, day 1 again tomorrow....at an even slower pace.

this was a great thread to read. I feel better now.