anyone starting Couch to 5K

Options

Replies

• Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    WEEK 3 Day 1 completed tonight!
    I did it! I really didnt think I could go from 90 seconds to 3 minutes, But I did it! and it wasnt 'too'bad..
    Anyone else start a new week?

Me too! Just finished week 3 day 1 tonight... wasn't so bad, but certainly a challenge. But, I did it!! :bigsmile:

Edit: By the way, Tamishumate, I see your a Red Sox fan... awesome!! :wink:

Oh look at you!! Awesome! Go Sox!
    It was a challenge, I have a friend that is doing it with me, she has run a 5 k, so she is just doing it to support me ( thank god). What days are you going this week?
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I run on Monday, Wednesday and Friday- sometimes w/ my boyfriend and sometimes w/o him- depends on his work schedule :ohwell: He's not training for a 5k, just does it with me for something to do... and because he's great like that :blushing:
  • kym_lewis08
    kym_lewis08 Posts: 393
    Options
    Count me in guys! Starting tomorrow!! :happy:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Today is my day off in between, so I'll be doing elliptical and maybe stairs today.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I did it about a month ago.. Now I am on to training for the half marathon. Make sure you do not train on a tredmil. I started outside and then the weather got crappy so I did more than half the training in the gym and wow let me tell you I barley made it to the finish line.
  • swishpete
    swishpete Posts: 15
    Options
    I did it about a month ago.. Now I am on to training for the half marathon. Make sure you do not train on a tredmil. I started outside and then the weather got crappy so I did more than half the training in the gym and wow let me tell you I barley made it to the finish line.

What do you think was the difference? I try to do both but I just detest running in town in front of people!:noway:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I did most of my training for my first 5K in the gym and I did fine. In fact, I was faster in the actual 5K than in the gym.

I think this is a personal preference kind of thing....
  • amie1004
    amie1004 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I do most of mine on the treadmill...I also don't like others to see me :laugh: (But, if I do go outside, I pick a trail or track, so I'm not on the streets/sidewalks) It's also hot out, and I don't last long in crazy heat. The times I have gone outside, once was easier, and once was harder.
    I've read that the treadmill kinda helps you move along b/c of the belt, so it may be more difficult outside.
    I'm not worried about a race yet, so I'm ok with that. But, if I decide to do a race, I'll def make sure to be prepared for running outside.

Gonna do Week 2 Day 2 tonight or tomorrow morning!
    Woo hoo!

GOod luck,:drinker: everyone!
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have read about this couch to 5k several times in the mfp forums, and was never really sure what it is. Now that I know, I think that it is an excellent idea!

The majority of my exercise is walking and jogging with my dog. I usually just try to jog as long as I can, but a lot of evenings, I find that I only walk. I am going to get the podcast tonight and start it tomorrow evening when we go.

I hope this works out for me, because it sounds great! And I love to change things up! :happy:
  • amandajsp
    amandajsp Posts: 10
    Options
    I printed off the program and have been staring at it for a few weeks. I used to run every now and then several years ago. I would love to be able to just go running with my army hubby and not be completely exhausted halfway down the block. So...he left with the army this weekend and will be gone til december...when he gets home we're gonna run!!! He doesn't know it yet. I officially started Couch to 5K this week and am surprised at how well I'm doing! Long way to go - but I'm gonna be super proud to say I can actually run for a distance!!! I'm with you guys!!!
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options

Ok you've inspired me. I just printed off the plan! When are you starting??
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    I just started the Couch to 5k program, is anyone just starting it as well, or want to do it with me? I need as much motivation as I can get, and I would love to motivate you too!

opps! I meant the message above this one for you since you're the one starting it. duh! :blushing:
  • swishpete
    swishpete Posts: 15
    Options
    I guarantee that running is worth all the effort! I never thought that I would be able to run 20 mins without stopping but I did it. I started Week 6 on Saturday and that means that I will try my best to run for 25 mins later on this week.

Don't hesitate - start running :smile:

I was just able to make 25 minutes today! I just sort of started on my own instead of using the couch to 5K but it's probably taken about that long to get here too. Good Luck on your run! You'll do great!
  • sjmay
    Options
    I just started the Couch to 5k program, is anyone just starting it as well, or want to do it with me? I need as much motivation as I can get, and I would love to motivate you too!

So, you have done the first day? I wanted to start last night, however by the time I got home it was dark and I don't really like wakling/running at night. I will be starting tonight though!

Good luck to you!
  • sjmay
    Options
    Ok, so I just did Week 1 - day 1 and all in all I am pretty happy with myself. I didn't do the greatest with all the running, but I was pretty close... and it was my first day after all! I feel super right now, just like I know that I should after a good workout! My legs are a little sore, but it's definitely the good sore :smile:

How did everyone else do today?
  • soon2bfit
    soon2bfit Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm heading off to do my first day. I have done it before, and never quite finished. Did one 5k, and came in dead last. I really, really want to be a runner, so I am here and ready for commitment and motivation!

Mandi
  • kdanderson05
    kdanderson05 Posts: 147
    Options
    My husband is in the NG, so I know the feeling of not being able to keep up with them. My hubby is leaving for 3 weeks on Friday, so I would like it that when he comes home I can do more of this program and that maybe I've lost another 10lbs or something. Motivation Baby!!!!!

And yes to the other poster I have started it, tomorrow(Thursday) will be day 3 for me, and I'm actually looking forward to it. I'm going to get up and do it in the neighborhood tomorrow, instead of at the gym on the treadmill. I'm going to try to go back and forth between both of them. My dog is coming with me too, as she defientely needs the exercise. So I will update tomorrow, and I'm thinking of doing it also on Saturday as a Day 4, and then start week 2 on Sunday again. I just want to get in that extra day of working out too, idk I'm crazy I know. But if anyone needs some motivation, please don't hesitate to send me a PM, and I will be happy to help you out. I'm in this for the long haul.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I'm interested. Just started trying to incorporate some running in my walks this week. I've never been a runner but really want to be, where can I get the pod cast?
  • sjmay
    Options
    I don't remember what the address is that I got mine from, but it was by Suz (the podcast). I think the address that explains the whole thing is coolrunning.com :ohwell: I believe.

Did week 1, day 2 tonight and I was very happy with how much better I did today than yesterday. I didn't think I would notice a change that fast. Mind you, it wasn't a big change, but I seemed to be able to run that extra 10 or 15 seconds. I think I was able to push myself more, maybe? :tongue:

So, all in all, it went very well..... until the end. I was just about home (and walking!) when my dog caught a sniff of something, turned suddenly and down to the ground I tumbled!:mad: But, besides a little road rash, i am A OK... just a little ticked :laugh: Guess I better start watching where my feet are going!

Hope everyone else is having a great day! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Did day 2 today, wasn't too bad. I could've done more but didn't want to do too much too soon and end up in pain and hating it. :laugh: