Giving Blood

Options
2»

Replies

• KimDis
    KimDis Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What you're describing is called a vasovagal response & it happens. Sounds like "the stick" (venipuncture) is what triggers it. But it can be triggered by seeing another donor have a response and sometimes it even happens to people who are regular blood donors.

I work in the industry & would love to tell you that you lose tons of calories donating - trust me we need your blood. But I just want to reiterate that this is not something I'd necessarily put in as "calories burned". It takes your body days & weeks to replenish the components removed during donation. You could probably burn as many calories parking your car just a bit further away in the parking lot every day.

As far as I can tell the Mayo Clinic has removed the calories burned information from their web page about donating. There has to be a good reason for that. But they've given lots of good reasons to donate anyway.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    What you're describing is called a vasovagal response & it happens. Sounds like "the stick" (venipuncture) is what triggers it. But it can be triggered by seeing another donor have a response and sometimes it even happens to people who are regular blood donors.

Ahhh, you're awesome, it has a name! Thanks!!
  • myalex2000
    myalex2000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I donated today and I am confused on how to calculate the calories... help please

Tanya
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I donate, need to soon, I have a cold right now and need to be healthier befor I go again. Here they sometimes offer giftcards that are donated by companies. Very rarely though.
  • zasiiniya
    zasiiniya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've given blood once, this past October. I had tried 3 times before and been rejected all 3 - twice because my iron was too low and once because they couldn't find a vein. But it finally worked! I plan to give again as soon as they return to my university.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I used to give blood regularly, but I had to stop when I attempted three consecutive times and almost fainted each time. Now, I just feel guilty whenever they advertise that blood stocks are low. :tongue:
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I tried 4 times, but was rejected every time for my weight, too low.
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    I tried once, but I was rejected because my veins are too difficult to find.
  • Hev_uk
    Hev_uk Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I give blood. I have really difficult veins but I know where they are so tend to help the staff out when I go. I feel good when I do it. My Dad has been a donor for years and my mum received blood during cancer treatment so it's really important to me.
  • katzblood
    katzblood Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm giving blood later today and am just hoping I dont get ill in the next few days since that seems to happen to me the last few times I have given..
  • myalex2000
    myalex2000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How do I log it though???
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I have given over 30 times. I had no idea it was a calorie burn though so if anyone has any additional information on that please let me know.