Do you eat your extra calories from working out?

Options

Replies

• RachaelKelley
    Options
    You should, you need the energy for the work out- without it you'll start burning- muscle that is...no bueno.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Yes I do - YES you should - and YES it is bad not to.

Think about it - (there's a ton of threads/posts about this exact thing) - if you're on say 1300 calories a day per MFP goals - that is already a deficit of at least 500 if you want to lose 2lbs a week - THEN you add in exercise. Say you burn 500 calories in exercise today. and you eat 1300 calories? -- that's a 1000 calorie deficit for the day - AND you've only given your body 800 calories to run on -- that simply isn't enough. Women shouldn't eat any less than 1200 calories a day (i'm sure it's higher for men but i'm not sure the exact number) -- eating below this number causes your body functions to suffer (things you may not notice right now but they can have long term negative effects)...... You should try to eat back at least half if not all your exercise calories. There's an easy way to do this. Have a recovery shake after work out. Perfect time to eat, and because you still burn more calories after you work out, you'll burn those calories off, no problem. seriously, it works. EAT TO LOSE WEIGHT - FEED THE MACHINE!

SW 303.4 (1/1/11)
    CW 198.4 (down 105lbs)
    GW 160
  • 709sherry
    709sherry Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I haven't been eating the workout cals at 1400 cals but at 1200 cals I find that it is hard not to cut into the workout cals (not purposely). I guess I am consistently in the 1200-1400 cals a day range and that is fine for me. I used to eat almost double that so it works for me.
  • Dimplybutt
    Dimplybutt Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I do as well. I have found if I don't I dont have the energy for the workout AND I find myself starving!!! :)

This ^ ^ :smile:
  • KnitChick89
    KnitChick89 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Nope. That's why I put in my exercise info at the end of the day. After reading these posts, I think I'll start eating them back though ;)
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I have been trying more and more to eat my workout calories. My issue is once I get going - it's hard for me to stop. Yesterday I did two classes that had an hour long break in between so I worked out in the gym. I would have eaten 3600 calories to break even - I cannot fathom eating that many calories without going crazy at a buffet.
  • weightloss43154
    weightloss43154 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back too :smile:
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    YES. Oh boy do I!
    I wear a HRM so I get a realistic number and avoid overestimating the calories to eat back. I usually leave a small quantity, just for wiggle room.

^ This. I do the same.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Some days I eat some...other days I eat all of them...last night for example I did a 600 cal work out, which gave me a 700 cal deficit for the day. I ate a Clif bar afterwards, replacing 300 of them and that was it. I didn't feel the need to eat them all back but it wouldn't be a problem if I did.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I am an advocate of HRM's with a chest strap!
  • Sytera
    Sytera Posts: 75
    Options
    I'm glad I found this thread. I've been eating back some of my calories but at the end of the day I often times end up with 200-400 calories left to go. I'm exclusively breastfeeding a 6 month old whom nurses a lot. I add those 500 calories in as a workout instead of food simply because it isn't food I'm eating but calories I'm burning. Then I try to workout at least 500 calories worth. So I'm giving myself a deficit of approx 1,000 calories. Will I really be ok eating all those back and finishing the day out closer to zero left instead 200+? I'm wanting to lose 8 lbs in about 7 weeks.
  • samalex01
    samalex01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm new to all this, what do you mean by eating your extra calories from working out?
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Say you have a goal of eating cals in a day...then go workout and burn off 400 of them. Do you then take that as leave to eat an extra 400 calories that day to hit that 2000 calorie target.

In many cases, it's unhealthy not to.
  • tantalee
    tantalee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    normally i try to let about 300-500 cal, but the average is to "not eat" around 300 cal of my exercise
    actually i feel guilty if i ate all the cals from the exercise
  • TiredOfBeingFAT130
    Options
    I would eat them as long as you have an HRM to tell you accurately how many calories you are burning!! MFP over-estimates my actual calorie burn by about 50%!! Since getting my HRM, I have had to double up on my workouts. I was eating back calories before I hadn't even earned... I just thought I had because the MFP database told me so.
    So get an HRM & eat them back!! If not, I would only eat half back... just my personal opinion :)
  • Agefyter
    Agefyter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My calorie limit is set at 1740 a day. That always seems to be enough for me. So I don't eat back my exercise calories. I really don't want to workout just to eat more. haha But everybody is different.

Same here! I only eat them if I'm hungry. Sometimes I have a hard time getting to 1200.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I don't but only because my calorie burn from exercise is maybe 100... 200 calories max and that just doesn't seem like enough to fuss about. Even with my calorie burn from exercise I'm still consuming 1200 cals (my daily intake is set to 1400) so I'm not concerned.
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options
    You betcha!
  • plt55
    plt55 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have done it both ways ,and as dumb as it sounds sometimes makes no differance.If u are hungry eat them thats what they are for ,if not dont.
  • csc3197
    csc3197 Posts: 7
    Options
    It depends. If I feel hungry, I eat. If not, then I don't.