Avocados

Options
AllTehBeers
AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
So today I had a craving for some guacamole and figured the best thing to do would be to make something of my own. After buying and making and eating, I read that they have about 300 calories for a medium sized one but I also read that they are very good for you. So my question is, how do you guys feel about them? Do you cut them out completely, eat them sparingly or have them as a regular part of your vegetable table?

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I eat at least one ounce of avocado every day in breakfast. And then sometimes I add another ounce to dinner if I'm still low on my fats. I love 'em.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I eat them..........but usually only buy them when they are on sale. They are pricey.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I eat avocado almost every single day on my sandwich at lunch. I slice it and use about 1/4 at a time (usually works out to about 50 calories worth). I tightly wrap the remainder in plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge. Kind of like a banana, it gets a little brown around the edges but still edible.
  • donnantx
    donnantx Posts: 76
    Options
    I just started eating avacados this year in my salad (always loved guacamole with chips). I always have them on hand and try to put half of one in my salad every day. As long as I count the calories it is all good
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    They are great as long as you don't eat a whole one or more a day. Just like with most other foods they are ok in moderation.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I eat avocado!!! It's good fats and tastes yummy!!!!

I don't refridgerate mine tho- i always thought that was a no-no! haha! Funny what you learn on MFP!

It is costly in the calorie department, but it is healthy and yummy and a natural unprocessed food, so I definitely eat them!
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    avocado also makes an awesome Mayo subsitute. just mash some up and spread it on a sandwich instead of mayo!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I love avocado so much that I usually put 2 oz. of it in my green smoothies (berries, greek yogurt, spinach, protein powder, and avocado). SOOOO GOOD!
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE them!! I'm still very new to all this, but my first week of eating 1 half avocado a day i lost 1lb. This last week i ran out and couldn't afford to go shopping for any more, i didn't lose any weight. I'm pretty sure those avocados had something to do with it lol.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I eat maybe one a week.... But no more!
  • 2012Wendy
    2012Wendy Posts: 21
    Options
    I eat two small avocados a week -- I LOVE them! I add them to my salad, to scrambled egg whites, fish tacos, or smash 1/2 of one and put it on top of my vege burger. The healthy fat really helps to fill me up!
  • monainmn
    monainmn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Love them, good fats and totally worth the calories!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    So today I had a craving for some guacamole and figured the best thing to do would be to make something of my own. After buying and making and eating, I read that they have about 300 calories for a medium sized one but I also read that they are very good for you. So my question is, how do you guys feel about them? Do you cut them out completely, eat them sparingly or have them as a regular part of your vegetable table?

I buy two or three a week. I love them and they are high in cals but they are good cals.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    LOVE AVOCADO!!! I have half an avocado several times a week. The days I don't eat avocado, I have almonds and/or fish.

The calorie count you're seeing is simply because of the fat. But it is BEST KIND OF FAT!!! Your body NEEDS that fat in order to lose fat. I recommend eating plenty of avocado and almonds and fresh fish rich in omega-3s and olive oil, just budget these items into your calorie allowance.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I generally eat 1/2 of one. I have been lucky, one of the markets near by always has mini ones, the are around 100-120 grams each and usually cost 50-60 cents! If I have a bigger one, then I'll eat about a third of it.

I have recently been trying the avocado in my smoothies (mango, avocado, coconut water, a squeeze of lime and some ginger is amazing!)

I also add to salads or sandwiches. 2 of my favorite combos: apple,avocado and lemon juice (you can add jicama or cucumber too) mixed with arugula for a great salad. Or orange or grapefruit, lemon juice and mixed greens for another salad (bell pepper is a good thing to add here).

Avocado toast is another new favorite. Mashup an avocado with a little lemon juice, salt, pepper or chili flakes (and a bit of olive oil if you have calories to spare). I like it best on a whole grain toast. So good!

I also make guacamole with 50% avocado and 50% greek yogurt to lighten it up and add protein. :D
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I saw an article about a guy in Southern California who had an avocado a day. He was around 90 and looked really young and healthy. That was a great endorsement to me.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Had an avocado mixed with a can of oil packed tuna and some tomatoes for lunch today! It was over 550 calories, but I at it at 1130 and I am just now feeling hungry at 615 at night.

Fat doesn't make you fat. Make sure your fats come from healthy sources and enjoy :)
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    I generally eat 1/2 of one. I have been lucky, one of the markets near by always has mini ones, the are around 100-120 grams each and usually cost 50-60 cents! If I have a bigger one, then I'll eat about a third of it.

I have recently been trying the avocado in my smoothies (mango, avocado, coconut water, a squeeze of lime and some ginger is amazing!)

I also add to salads or sandwiches. 2 of my favorite combos: apple,avocado and lemon juice (you can add jicama or cucumber too) mixed with arugula for a great salad. Or orange or grapefruit, lemon juice and mixed greens for another salad (bell pepper is a good thing to add here).

Avocado toast is another new favorite. Mashup an avocado with a little lemon juice, salt, pepper or chili flakes (and a bit of olive oil if you have calories to spare). I like it best on a whole grain toast. So good!

I also make guacamole with 50% avocado and 50% greek yogurt to lighten it up and add protein. :D

You are very inventive with your food. Your smoothies and salads sound amazing. I love jicama too. And avocadoes. I haven't had one in a week and I can tell the difference.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Wow this is great. Thanks for all the replies. I think what I may do next time is work with half an avocado instead of a whole one and try to save it for the next day. That way I can split the calories and still enjoy it.
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I eat homemade guacamole just about every weekend. Love it! I make mine with just lemon juice, spoon full of salsa and a half spoon full of that guacamole mix stuff you buy in the produce section. (This is for 2 avocados).