stop drinking 8 cups of water (because it's "good"), and get

Options

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much water and have no guilt about it. To each his own....

Agree!!!
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    No one will ever get me to believe that drinking plenty of plain water is not good for you. And in order to drink too much, you have to drink a LOT or drink quite a bit in a short amount of time.

If we drank more than the kidneys can handle over a day's time then we wouldn't eat. There is nothing wrong with drinking 10 or 12 cups of water.

I disagree with coffee, tea, soda, etc being counted as water also as it is not plain water.

Most people that increase their water intake find they have more energy, better moods, clearer skin and better digestion and elimination.

Water is important to the human body.

^^ This
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's true or not...but I now LOVE drinking water and drink at least 12 cups per day. I used to HATE water for some reason (perhaps it was my coffee, soda, store bought juices addictions, I don't know), but I replaced water drinking instead of coffee, pop, store bought/processed drinks and WOW....:love: I don't really care if drinking lots of water is helpful in weight-loss now or not, I'm just thrilled to drink it now, instead of the other empty calorie, processed and fattening stuff I used to guzzle cup after cup!

Yay for water--I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    My problem is simple. All that water is just minging. I've never drank that much in my life, fat, thin, healthy or otherwise.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I know you can overdose if you drink tooooo much water too quickly (such as the case with the young guy who was being initiated into the fraternity a few years ago: they forced him to drink gallons of water in the span of minutes and it overloaded his system and he died). But I like drinking 8 cups or so of water a day, it keeps the cramps away (from my feet...i know I'm dehydrated/thirsty when I begin to feel cramps there) and I feel good with water so nothing is gonna really stop me from feeling that 8 cups of water a day is not good/there is no merit to it. Water is best for the skin to keep it hydrated and looking young, I don't believe reports say that you can have the same effect that water has for the skin if they just drink juice or coffee or soda.
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    in this day and age it is very easy to avoid water. but what you are avoiding water with adds calories to your diet and other substances even if it is "zero" calories. water helps flush things out.

so what are you putting in your body? is what it really is all about it.

caffeine is a diuretic...so most pop, coffee and tea are out for the water count unless it is caffeine free on the tea and coffee front...the pop front has various other chemicals that break down your bones and what not so that is just out all together. for the water count. it's definitely not benefiting your body and that much is definitive whether water is or not.

i think it's just a sounder idea to get your cals from food and not from liquids if you can avoid it. atleast calories that aren't helpful and make your body work harder to burn. like ones with tons of sugars and what not.

but ya know...just my opinion.
  • Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If I dont get my increase my water intake I get a urine infection I need to keep my water intake high to feel well.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    One person talking about his/her naturopath's recommendations. Really?

Another person saying that while she understands that her opinion differs from the nutrition info from the Mayo Clinic site, she's just going to continue with her own opinion.

Seems pretty strange to me, honestly.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Amazing the ignorance of people in regards of water.

- The human body is made up from 60% to over 70% of water. That says a LOT about how important is to drink water during the day.
    - Water is used during metabolism.
    - No coffee, soda or anything else can replace water.
    - A person can sweat up to a liter during a regular day (in case you didn't know 1 liter = 33.8oz).
    - Depending on factors like room temperature, physical activities, etc a person can sweat nearly 2 liters per hour. (2 liters = 67.2 oz)
    - Some people can urinate up to 2 liters or more a day.
    - Drinking plenty of water helps avoid kidney stones.
    - Water is super beneficial for the joints.

And the list goes on.

Anyway, 64 oz of water is definitely not harmful to any adult, unless there is any medical condition that contraindicates it. IMO, based on facts like these, and many more, I would say 64 oz of water is nothing but a blessing to our bodies.

Of course, everyone is free to do whatever they want. All I know is that water is my number one friend.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    in this day and age it is very easy to avoid water. but what you are avoiding water with adds calories to your diet and other substances even if it is "zero" calories. water helps flush things out.

so what are you putting in your body? is what it really is all about it.

caffeine is a diuretic...so most pop, coffee and tea are out for the water count unless it is caffeine free on the tea and coffee front...the pop front has various other chemicals that break down your bones and what not so that is just out all together. for the water count. it's definitely not benefiting your body and that much is definitive whether water is or not.

i think it's just a sounder idea to get your cals from food and not from liquids if you can avoid it. atleast calories that aren't helpful and make your body work harder to burn. like ones with tons of sugars and what not.

but ya know...just my opinion.

Coffee does add to the water count, has close to zero calories, and has antioxidants so even better than plain water in my opinion:smile:
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    Even my son's nephrologist says the water thing is a myth.

This is what I tried to say in my former post. I see a nephrologist every six months, and not going to retype my post. The majority of posts just repeat what others say. Everyone is different, some like water, some don't, but everyone needs to stay hydrated. That's it - I'm done!
  • BlowYourMind
    Options
    Oolong tea and water babe... See here's how I automatically know it's good for me, if nature placed the herbs and water right here, humanity is supposed to consume it. The only way it's bad is if it's in your stomach bloating you up or if you drink gallons of it... :smokin:
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Exactly. It works for me and I will keep doing what works.
    All I know is drinking 8-12 cups of water makes me feel better. Honestly, I find that to be all that matters.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    While it can hurt you to drink too much water, you need to drink a LOT of it in a short period of time. I don't think anyone is going to have negative health problems from drink 64oz of water a day. I myself drink at least that daily, because I dehydrate easily and I carry a water bottle around with me. Everyone requires a different amount of water.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I drink 16-22 cups a day. Not dead and I feel so much better.

Me too! Except I only drink 14-16 cups. But I feel fab!!
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Posts: 113
    Options
    Water is always good for you, just don't go drinking gallons back to back. Soda should not be a water allowance
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink water. Maybe a glass a day. I drink two large coffees in the morning - 28oz, and a large tea in the afternoon - another 14oz. I have an 8oz glass of water for dinner and maybe another at night.

I eat a lot of fruit, salad, veggies, etc. and I'm not thirsty all day.

The eight glasses of water thing is great marketing for bottled water companies, and I know it works because I go to meetings at my office, and there's always one or two with their bottle of water that they take everywhere.

I stopped adding friends a while ago when I'd post my diary and the only comment I would get would be "boy, you didn't drink your water today". Such bs....

Drink if you want. Don't if you don't. I somehow made it 45 years, got my BMI to 23, lowered my cholesterol to healthy levels, and work out every day at the gym, all while not guzzling glass after glass of water.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Good lord this thread is stupid.
  • heidiwebs
    heidiwebs Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree with NatureMade. My skin definitely looks better than it did a few weeks ago and I just feel better.
  • AngieELS
    AngieELS Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm a supporter of the "drink 1/2 your weight in pounds as ounces of water" crowd! :bigsmile:

Same here!