Do you track before or after you eat?

Options

Replies

• muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I tend to log before I eat. Sometimes at the beginning of the day before even having anything other than a glass of water and then just tweak things as the day goes on. It also helps me to see if I need to do some extra exercise to allow for my choices if I need to. It also shows me if I need to add more to my diary for the day too. I do so much better when things are planned out in advance.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Before, almost all the time. Sometimes, though, things will change--I'll enter everything in the morning, then things will change during the day. But I think before keeps me better in line.
  • Happymom12
    Happymom12 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I track after I eat and adjust my work out daily depending on what I do and eat.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    lunch and breakfast before i eat , and dinner usually as i eat:) and then i munch on treats(pb and crackers, yogurt , and fruit ) right up till im out of calories or its bedtime:)
  • srenebailey
    srenebailey Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I track afterwards. If I track before, I never seem to eat what I said I was going to eat!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Most days before, or I start the day eating my typical foods , log in/track around lunch and then use it to decide on dinner. Other days I may be out with friends and I just want to log/track in order to be accountable even though I know it's over. This is helpful because then I can plan for special treats if I know what the caloric price will be.
  • merlegirl88
    Options
    I usually log while I am eating or after.....
  • JenS_1678
    JenS_1678 Posts: 27
    Options
    Whenever I can, before. But that's just because I've just started, and have no idea what will fill daily requirements.
  • opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I plan and track ahead. That way I adjust as necessary and then forget about counting. I do sometimes have to remind myself to eat my evening snacks though! If I didn't work this way, my calorie count would just be all over the place and I'd be constantly worrying about it.
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    Since I pack my lunch and snacks, I log my breakfast, lunch and snacks before I eat them. I like it since that way I know exactly how many calories I have for dinner and can decide what to eat from there.

I also do this, so I know exactly how many calories I am going to consume and I can see if there are some things I may not want to include for one reason or another. You can always go back and tweak the logs if you need to. For example, I packe dmyself a sandwich, carrots, yogurt, applesauce, etc.. etc... today for lunch and snacks and I logged that all before I left the house for work. I only ate my sandwich and my carrots, I just came home and deleted those other things.

I think it gives you more control and more room to make corrections, better choices, and a more accurate log :)
    Hope this helps!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Depends. Usually I know what I'll be eating for breakfast and how much so if I'm up at midnight I'll go ahead and log it and the water since I always have 16oz of water with breakfast. (I take my morning meds then too, so I need it) I'll also log before if I'm eating meals I've had before and I know how much will be served/eaten. Basically I try to do it if I'm ever going out because I hate pulling my phone out to log, I feel like I'm being rude or I look like one of those teenagers buried in their phones. I'm only 22 but I get mistaken as 16 so often it's amazing I don't get carded for being in a place that sells alcohol.

I log after if I'm home and made the meal since while it's not often I sometimes like a bit more and I don't want to log a serving when I've eaten a serving and a half or quarter. I log after snacks since I can never predict those.

Personally I don't see either one as better since to me it depends on other variables.
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I often log while I eat :)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I log all the ingredients or food items before I even prepare it.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    If I am cooking at home I log first. If I am going out to eat and I have a good idea what I'l have, I'll also log first. If I am out then I just guesstimate after.

I am a horrible meal planner, so I can only log at meal time. :)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I usually put in breakfast, lunch, and dinner so then I know how much I have left for snacks between meals.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I log everything the night before (don't hit complete until the next morning)
    I also pre-log the exercise I'm doing for the day so I can fuel my body accordingly.

If I tracked/logged after the fact I would most likely over eat my calories and not get the nutrients I may be needing (calcium, potassium ect)
  • kgordon7
    kgordon7 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I always log the night before.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Usually I track before
    but sometimes I don't know what I will have to eat like tomorrow or when I go out with friends.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Both. I pretty much have learned what to eat and in which amounts to hit my macros. So, not too hard to predict.
  • Darrknys
    Darrknys Posts: 91
    Options
    I do both depending on where i'm eating