4.5mph is WALKING? Really?

Options

Replies

• urmyeffinstar
    urmyeffinstar Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I run at 4.5 mph. I am short, I have short legs and a short torso. I think that has a lot to do with it. I take shorter steps so naturally I have to run a little bit slower. If I put it up to 6.0mph like some people it looks like I am running to get away from something instead of working out. Don't feel bad about it or anything :)
  • Beebee78
    Options
    I do think it is totally down to the individual - I am not massively tall, but I'm not short either but to me 4mph would still be walking and 5mph would be a fast walk - it only takes us 15 minutes to walk from one end of the village to the other which is one mile xxx
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    This is walking for me, i am not allowed to run or jog for medical reasons due to a neck injury and i can walk at 5.8 mph on the treadmill without breaking into a jog (albeit a very fast walk)

I too wear a HRM - i couldnt live without it now, i think everyone should have one they are brilliant.

Also you can add exercise manually into the database :smile:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Well then I'm doing something wrong because it's running for me.

I bring this up because I have to put in "very, very brisk walking" as my cardio on my run days, but I AM running at 4.5. Actually I am running at 4.7mph for most of my run, but that isn't an option. It's 4.5 or 5.

Any chance the "middle mileages" can be added in?? And maybe just have it "moving" at the mph? I feel so accomplished when I'm at the gym, then I get home, enter it in here, and feel so bad because this site doesn't think I'm running at 4.5mph. :(
    Might it be easier if you add in your own workout and not go by something preset in the site? :drinker:
  • AmyPearshape
    AmyPearshape Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm creating an exercise of jogging, 4.5 mph. Maybe it will show up if you search for it. I found a website that says it burns 9 calories a minute for an overweight female. I'll see how that compares to the items already included. I definitely think this has to do with leg length. If my 6'1" husband walked as fast as he could, I would definitely be jogging to keep up with him!
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yep, 4.5 is a slow run for me but still a run. I'm 5'2. There is no way my legs could walk with the treadmill at 4.5.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I run at 4.5 mph. I am short, I have short legs and a short torso. I think that has a lot to do with it. I take shorter steps so naturally I have to run a little bit slower. If I put it up to 6.0mph like some people it looks like I am running to get away from something instead of working out. Don't feel bad about it or anything :)
    LOL, this is me too with it at 6.0. It's a full sprint.
  • analogkib
    analogkib Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'2 and I have always claimed that my I'm really moving faster than my 6'2 husband when we are going the same pace.... you know my "rpm's" are higher :) But 4.5 is a slow run for me... I could walk that fast but I'd look like one of those speed walker people with my bum moving all over the place.... I'd rather run :)
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Thats the pace that I walk at on the treadmill. I always have it set for 4.5 mph and it is a brisk walk, but I walk fast naturally anyways.
  • garp4
    garp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think it has to leg/stride length. I am 5'6" but have very short legs (can wear petites on the bottom) and 4.5 is also a slow jog for me.
    Right now I am doing couch to 5k and I enter it as 4.0 or 4.5 depending on my average and just adjust the calories to match my heart rate monitor. My walking intervals are around 3.5- 3.8, and my running is 5.0. Hopefully as I progress though the program I will be able to actually use one of the presets that say running!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I run at between 8kph and 9kph , which is 5 - 5.6mph.
    I am only 4ft 11, and there is no way I could walk at 4,5mph

People who think us shorties are *jogging* need to realise our legs are much shorter so have to work twice as hard.

When I used to run regularly my husband used to finish the 10k race before I'd even got to 5k, but I was trying just as hard as he was!!

• Erinslove
    Erinslove Posts: 139
    Options
    That is TOTALLY running for me too! I have always had a slow pace and I have been a runner for years. Road races and a marathon to boot! I get all the great results I need going at my very own pace. Keep feeling great regardless of what it says when you log it! You are doing awesome.
  • britexmom
    britexmom Posts: 145
    Options
    add your own exercise to the databae. for me the fastest i care to walk at is 4mph, then i have a gap because the slowest i run at is 5pmph....so everything inbetween is no mans land for me, its just not comfortable. i created my own exercise of intervals of walking/running and input my own calorie burn instead of someone elses.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Funny that you post this, I can barely walk at 4.5 and it looks like I should be breaking into a run (not comfortable). I run between 5 adn 5.6 right now. My husban went 'running' with me this last weekend and I slugged him in the should when he started walking next to me running. He's 6.0
  • amc2509
    amc2509 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I normally walk between 4 and 4.5mph... I'm 5'4 and have a 29" leg. I have always been a fast walker. This is walking outside tho, not on a TM. I couldn't jog at 4.5mph on a TM, I'd be really awkward, min jog speed would have to be greater than 5mph to be comfortable. So I guess it does depend on the person... I did read a thread on here before that you burn more cals generally running over the same distance than walking, but this rule is overturned at speeds over 4mph, i.e. walking 1 mile at 4.5mph burns more cals than running 1 mile at 4.5mph... there was a medical article or something about it. I'll try and dig it out.

Interesting topic...
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Well then I'm doing something wrong because it's running for me.

I bring this up because I have to put in "very, very brisk walking" as my cardio on my run days, but I AM running at 4.5. Actually I am running at 4.7mph for most of my run, but that isn't an option. It's 4.5 or 5.

Any chance the "middle mileages" can be added in?? And maybe just have it "moving" at the mph? I feel so accomplished when I'm at the gym, then I get home, enter it in here, and feel so bad because this site doesn't think I'm running at 4.5mph. :(

I am 5'3 and anything over 4.5 is running for me as well. I think it has to do with short legs. I would definitely go with the HRM results and logging it yourself. I know that the time/activity level on here is not always acurate, as I have found with trying to add in DVD workouts.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. There is no pace that determines if you're walking or running. It's the effort involved.

Also, jogging = running. And it's more exercise than a couch potato gets. :wink:

A quote from runner's world:
    If you've ever felt bad because you missed a run... you might be a runner.

If you know what a Pace is... you might be a runner.

If you've ever made someone feel bad for trying... you might be a jerk.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor- one with a strap not just a watch you will get a more accurate calories burned, and be able to enter in your own work outs.

I agree.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I'm tall so 4.5 is very, very brisk walking for me. But I jog at anything over 4.0 for the extra work.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    im 5" 7, anything over 2.5 mph is a run for me.