"Burpees"?

Options
I just recently heard about a workout called Burpees. I never heard of this before and I was wondering if anyone else knows about it? If so, what is it and is it a good workout?

Replies

• Davetaylor77
    Options
    Burpees is an exercise which is often used in a Circuits fitness class. Its a relatively tough exercise especially if your doing a lot of repetitions yet you are working all the muscles in your body.

Look on youtube to see a demonstration

Have Fun!
  • ckerrcanchaser
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I thought it was a really weird name so I figured I might as well ask on myfitnesspal here lol.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have seen them on The Biggest Loser and they make them look easy but I am sure they are difficult since it uses your whole body. I have never tried them but thought about it, maybe I will attempt them this week.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    THEY ARE THE WORST!!!!!!!! lol
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    We had to do them all through elementary/middle/high school PE classes...I'll never do another one. Ever.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Burpees suck. They are my personal trainer's favorite form of torture.
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I see Burpees and think of vegetable and flower seeds. o.O
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My husband did them in the Navy. They are called 8 count body builders in the Navy. He always said they were the exercise made by the devil. But they are good for you if you can do them. Good luck.
  • tvshannon
    Options
    Yes it's great!
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    they should be called "*kitten*-kickers!"
  • dragonsheart84
    Options
    We used to do them in gym class in school. Many of the football teams do them during practice or something like them anyway. they are killer and really good for you to work the entire body because you are going down into a push up position into a jump.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    hate them - :)

But they will indeed wear you out, and rack up the intensity of your workout.

There are a number of variants as well, but heres the standard basic.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    We used to have to do them in junior high and high school - they were called squat thrusts then ... hated them then and hate them now. LOL!
  • Lady_TDM
    Lady_TDM Posts: 16
    Options
    OMG! These are the so hard. I hate them. But they will give you a great workout. Jillian loves these..
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I have also heard them called "squat thrusts." That makes me giggle a bit when I hear it. One of my recent NSVs was to be able to do 20 good Burpees in a row. I have a love/hate relationship with them. Enjoy!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Great full body exercise. My trainer made me do extra on days that I got snarky with him. There are a lot of variations, too, if you are really into torture. :)
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    .02 of a dollar = Read on MFP about these, looked them up, tried to do 10 in a row, panting, then found others that were recording their numbers and using these for home/ small space cardio workout. I'm sure you could form a group or challenge to motivate a group of persons to post large numbers of these for the month of March.....................
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    In my bootcamp class we do a combo of 1 min of burpees then 1 min of mountain climbers then 1 min of burpess then 1 min of squat jumps - we do go at our own pace though and I'm slow as molasses, but it's still a good workout. After which I want to puke and die. My HR gets up to the 180s. Just remember to wear tight clothing or tuck in your shirt if you do these in a workout facility setting or with any sort of audience to prevent wardrobe malfunction embarrassment. LOL
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    yea i was confused as to what they were, until someone told me they were also called squat thrusts...i used to hate them in middle school PE! lol
    but i kinda like em now -- i added em to my full body lifting workouts and try to do as many as i can
  • Veganbambina
    Veganbambina Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I HATE Burpees! I would rather run stairs all day long!