What is so special about running???

Options

Replies

• Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Running is convenient and free. I just started running after years of being a swimmer without a pool. Me being cheap, I would frown my face at having to pay to swim. When push came to shove, I started out on a treadmill and improved enough to run outside. I can't say I love it, but it is working. Between running and eating better, I have lost 9 lbs in six weeks and my cholesterol has dropped from 210 to 184 in that same time frame.

I can run about 5 miles an hour, so in case I ever decide to run from the police, I like my chances. LOL
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    SOMETHING that unites large groups of people.
    *An easy sport that almost anyone can start doing any day as little equipment or special facilities are required. Its cheap...or at least it can be...plenty of people do it so you're never really alone and there's always an event for your level.
    *It burns calories mega quick,
    *It improves your CV and aerobic fitness dramatically and quickly.
    *Variations of running, such as HIIT/Tabata/Intervals/Sprints all can improve your ANAEROBIC endurance and threshold too. *Longer runs at high intensity are great for surpressing appetite.
    *Physical motion of running works many large muscle groups... all over workout
    *Physical motion also aids the bowel in digestion and can aid sufferes of IBS or constipation through mechanical needs.
    *It looks cool.
    *It makes you feel ace.
    *After a run you feel far more accomplished than on a bike ride (asa general personal rule)
    *Can be quite high impact so when used in moderation and with proper nutrition, is great for strengthening joints, muscles and bones and increasing bone density in collaboration with pure strength.
    *It can be done on many terrains to make it interesting or even indoors on a treadmill.
    *It's great to go on a long run when stressed or a lot on your mind as thought processing will distract you from the monotony that running may otherwise bring and you'll come back accomplished with training AND thoughts processed!

* The list goes on and on and on...
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Running gives me confidence...I started out walking around the block then jogging one driveway at a time. I am proud to say I now run 4 miles several times a week. Exercise period has given me strength and energy. Not only do I feel better I am finally losing those unwanted pounds.

I will never win any races..I go my pace, my way and am loving it.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I started running at age 13 when I joined the Track and Field Team. It became clear early on the that I would participate more in the "Field" part of the team as the one mile run to the track was enough torture for me.

I did well with sprints, hurdles and the Triple Jump.

Rinse and Repeat for 4 years at college.

Fast forward 16 years to today and I'm on a mission to convert the sprinter to a distance runner. I was having so much trouble in the beginning, mostly because I wasn't running enough to increase my distance. Seriously, running 1-2 miles was really tough; phyically and mentally. Currently, I go out and run 6 miles each Saturday morning. It's my time, all alone on a quiet tree lined road. perfectly pristine and peaceful....oh man, just talking about it makes me wanna go lace up. { if you never reach this point, then running just might not be for you }

That said, I don't think running is the end all of exercise. I also attend boot camp, zumba, lift weights and have a new found love of calisthenics.
  • KarenLue
    KarenLue Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE to run! I get that "runners high"! I have to have my Mp3 player though. I like to blast some power tunes and run up the longest steepest hill I can find! Unfortunately I have also developed chronic inflammation in my feet. As long as Im moving I'm fine but as soon as I stop for a while I can't hardly walk when I get up. I also do dance aerobics (which I also like to do with great vigor) and think maybe I shouldn't have gone in there acting like I was Michael Flatly! I think running is great, but be good to your body!
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    For me, its quiet time away from the busy life with a wife, kids, work. I can listen to a podcast/music and no one brothers me.

For me, the high after i have done it is amazing. After i finish, i look back and go wow, i just ran, 4 miles, 6 miles, 8 miles with out stopping is such a big boost to my confidence, mood and overall well being. I am probably more centered then i have ever been and that is a good thing.

I never ran ever since i was a kid, and i hated it. then last April, i finally started. It started at 10 minutes at a time, and now i have my first half marathon scheduled for April.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

So you're still getting the same weight loss and cardiovascular benefit from walking that you get from running.. it just takes longer with walking? Sounds like the over all progress is the same... and if it means that I don't have to kill my joints and get injured running, then it's fine by me.

Running does not kill your joints unless you already have a pre-existing injury and/or joint damage.

Please do a little research before perpetuating this myth: http://rwdaily.runnersworld.com/2012/02/no-running-does-not-ruin-your-knees.html?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Blogs-_-RunningRuinsYourKnees

First off, That article is hardly considered research.. All it does it say that running does not ruin your knees and that you need to run with your upperbody/trunk... no scientific study anywhere to back up either claim.

Second, How many posts do you see on here from people that are in pain from running? Due to wrong shoes, running wrong, etc etc... How many posts do you see here from people that are injured by walking? Very few.

I have my opinion.. You have yours. I don't like running and never will... so I will continue to walk and reap the benefits from it.

Anecdotal evidence ahead!

Walking (yes, not running) in Vibram five fingers (minimalist footwear) on hard pavement irritated my plantar fascia and started me on a yearlong painful bout of plantar fasciitis / heel spurs.

Walking, running, skipping, jumping, lifting weights, playing sports...doesn't really matter. If you're not wearing proper footwear or utilizing poor form with an existing foot condition like flat feet or high arches you're going to bring yourself closer to a breaking point or injury and experience pain at some point or another. Running will tend to irritate a condition far faster in inexperienced runners as they tend to do the following:

1. Run with poor form
    2. Add mileage too quickly
    3. Don't warm up or cool down with stretching/foam rolling
    4. Don't REST
    5. Don't cross train or lift weights for strength and balance

Yes, you may injure yourself performing at higher rates of activity but you also reap far greater rewards in performance and strength.

I've actually had to be far more careful with weightlifting and injury than I have with running.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    To me.. Nothing. Running sucks.. Plain and simple.

You can get the exact same results by walking that you can by running... which is why I don't force myself to do it.

You're not entirely correct, running burns almost double (net) the calories of walking .63cal / lb body weight per mile vs .30cal/ lb body eight per mile (Source "Energy Expenditure of Walking and Running," Medicine & Science in Sport & Exercise, Cameron et al, Dec. 2004.) and you'll get your heart rate higher running than you will walking but......if you hate running walking is still way better for you than being inert and you can find other ways to boost your heart rate.

Try doing inclines on a treadmill while walking.. Crank it up to like 8-10 and see what your heart rate does.. I think you'll be surprised.

LOL - you just gave me a flashback to my stress test. I agree completely, ramp up the incline and maintain the same pace and you'll see heart rate and calorie burn skyrocket.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It is what the human body is designed, or evolved if you like, to do. Humans are the best endurance runners on the earth. To run is to be human.
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Nothing has ever burned my belly fat like running.. I'm FLAT for the first time in my life. I can get out with the wind in my hair and the sun on my skin and just have me time. I am stronger and fitter. I have more energy now at 39 than I did at 18. I'm 4 sizes smaller than I was at 18.. and 10 sizes smaller than I was 2 years ago. There are about a billion different races that I can enter, so I never get bored.. I ran some 5Ks then switched to half marathon.. now I'm training for Warrior Dash.. I'm having an absolute ball. I love it.

I just started running three weeks ago......I luv the rush I get when I run but knowing I can lose my belly fat has just given me an added incentive....thx for the post
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I started running when my dad died in 2010. I was never an athlete, never really had a big interest in running, but I was VERY depressed (it was extremely sudden, my dad and I were very very close) and I began seeing a therapist who suggested I take up a form of exercise as stress relief. So I began running.

At first, I hated it, and I was mad I was even doing it because I sucked at it (I don't like doing things I'm not good at). But then it got easier. And when I was alone, running, I could just be alone with my thoughts and sweat it out. Sometimes I could go cry when I ran, sometimes it just helped me clear my head, and then I started to feel the "high." I would finish a run and be instantly in a great mood. So I started training for some races...and before I knew it, I'd finished a half marathon!

Running became a huge part of my life for stress relief, and then I started to notice the physical benefits and just kept doing it. Now I can't imagine not being a runner. If I go a few days without running, I feel like I'm missing something. I have developed a whole new self awareness and self confidence since starting to run, and now I can honestly tell people that I am a runner. I'm about to do my 3rd half marathon in a few weeks :)

Since incorporating a sensible diet and strength training into my running, I've lost a total of 12 lbs (2 before MFP) in the last couple months! And my legs are starting to look really hot.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

First off, That article is hardly considered research.. All it does it say that running does not ruin your knees and that you need to run with your upperbody/trunk... no scientific study anywhere to back up either claim.

Second, How many posts do you see on here from people that are in pain from running? Due to wrong shoes, running wrong, etc etc... How many posts do you see here from people that are injured by walking? Very few.

I have my opinion.. You have yours. I don't like running and never will... so I will continue to walk and reap the benefits from it.

Knee pain is not necessarily indicative of joint damage, my right knee was killing me during a half marathon last year and I ended up walking the last 7km. It was an IT band issue that manifested itself as pain on the lower outside portion of my knee.

I'm not saying people don't get injured but it's rarely actually the joint itself. It's almost always a result of trying to do too much, too soon too fast which then exposes muscular imbalances (often related to glute and hip strength).

In my case I ended up not running for about 6 weeks and using the services of a registered massage therapist who had me running again after two sessions. She also taught me improved stretching, foam roller techniques etc ; I've been running pain free since and am building up again for a half marathon in May.

Here's a portion of a research paper (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2556152/)

"Methods

Forty-five long-distance runners and 53 controls with a mean age of 58 (range 50–72) years in 1984 were studied through 2002 with serial knee radiographs. Radiographic scores were two-reader averages for Total Knee Score (TKS) by modified Kellgren & Lawrence methods. TKS progression and the number of knees with severe OA were compared between runners and controls. Multivariate regression analyses were performed to assess the relationship between runner versus control status and radiographic outcomes using age, gender, BMI, education, and initial radiographic and disability scores among covariates.

Results

Most subjects showed little initial radiographic OA (6.7% of runners and 0 controls); however, by the end of the study runners did not have more prevalent OA (20 vs 32%, p =0.25) nor more cases of severe OA (2.2% vs 9.4%, p=0.21) than did controls. Regression models found higher initial BMI, initial radiographic damage, and greater time from initial radiograph to be associated with worse radiographic OA at the final assessment; no significant associations were seen with gender, education, previous knee injury, or mean exercise time.

Conclusions

Long-distance running among healthy older individuals was not associated with accelerated radiographic OA. These data raise the possibility that severe OA may not be more common among runners."

I'm not critical of people who don't like running and chose to walk instead, in fact I applaud anyone who puts in the effort to improve their health whether it's better nutrition or starting a fitness program. What I am critical of is the (often unintentionally) perpetuation of incorrect information.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I need to break free sometimes. I need to spread my full wingspan and enjoy actually being self-propelled, with real understanding of what that means both literally and figuratively. I need the wind on my face, the sun on my cheeks, my nose in the air, eyes closed, running along the New York Harbor to the Verrazano bridge. I need the thud of my sneakers on the wobbly boards of the Brooklyn Bridge and the slow slope down into Chinatown.

I need the peace of mind that hits me at mile 6 when Ive already thought about every dark thought Id been avoiding all week. When Ive already balanced my band account, got lost in embarassingly dirty dirty naughty heart-pumping daydreams, planned out my week, boosted my motivation and self-confidence and now.... now my body is on autopilot- my hips stop controlling and just go, my feet stop pushing off the ground and just start skimming. My goal weight is a distant memory, just like my boss's screaming voice and the aggravation on the trains.

Now I am at my zen moment. Now I have found my reset button. And I float through miles 7-10 like a born runner, cause I ran all the resistance out of my lil devils. I ran the cobwebs out of my muscles. I ran the hesistation out of my brain. I ran the stress out of my tummy.

Now Im gone.
    Now Im free.
    Now Im strong.
    Now Im moving myself.

There's no freedom to me quite like reaching your full wingspan on a sunny midmorning long distance run along the ocean. It has saved me more times than I can count, and it always truly does give back more than you put into it.

♥running for life
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    It is what the human body is designed, or evolved if you like, to do. Humans are the best endurance runners on the earth. To run is to be human.

THAT'S BEAUTIFUL.
  • chrissismone
    chrissismone Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Becasue you look hot while doing it
    Its like a special club when you are a runner
    You are sexier
    The runners high-if you really are trying and focused

The only down side is if you aren't like most people buying cute running shoes isn't possible. I have flat feet and neutral gait. Well that only gives me a few like 2 options of shoes and those 2 brands don't make the hot looks like Nike or what not.

I like running even if its only on the treadmill and it's only for short burst.
  • anta1
    anta1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Becasue you look hot while doing it
    Its like a special club when you are a runner
    You are sexier

Some women do look sexy running. I certainly don't with my baggy shirt and hat on sweating like a pig and red-faced. I'm 5'4 so I kinda look like a kid running around the neighborhood. It's all good because I feel awesome after a good hard run.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    For me, running proved to me that I am capable of more than I thought. In my heaviest days, I would watch joggers go by my house or down the boardwalk, and I would think "I could NEVER do that". After I graduated C25K, and could run for 30 straight minutes, it really showed me that maybe my biggest obstacle is me. This spring I plan on running my first ever 5k race!

Also, it's not really scientific or anything, but to me, running is just so...impressive. I don't know why I feel more proud when I run for 50 minutes than when I do the elliptical for 50 minutes- I guess it's kind of like someone who can bench a lot. To me it's just one of those mental benchmarks of fitness.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Well its not really free...lol but its not a gym membership. I love it because its social..my friends and I run together..so its more fun cheering each other on in our healthy lifestyle. It always feels better after a run than before.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    After a long run, I feel as relaxed as I do after a bubble bath.

After a long run AND a bubble bath, I'm as relaxed as a cat laying in a puddle of sunshine.

As someone who used to need Xanax just to feel normal, that's a really amazing thing.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it better than walking because walking makes me feel like I'm exhausted from the effort of moving, but I'm not really getting anywhere. Which is also why I prefer running outdoors to running on a treadmill. I also like it because it makes me feel more fit than walking or any other cardio exercise....except for boxing/martial arts (which I've never tried, but I've always imagined it would make me feel like I was in good shape).