CrossFit

Options
Has anyone tried this at their local CrossFit gym? I have a great deal on a one month membership for unlimited classes, and it sounds/looks great but I wanted to hear about what to expect, results people have seen in a month's time with these classes, and any concern about injuries, etc.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's worth trying if you have access to a good gym, but that's a big if. The quality of crossfit gyms is HIGHLY variable.
  • Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Go and check it out. If they have an beginners or "on ramp" class give it a try. If they do not offer any instruction I would be cautious. In either event, you won't know unless you go.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried this at their local CrossFit gym? I have a great deal on a one month membership for unlimited classes, and it sounds/looks great but I wanted to hear about what to expect, results people have seen in a month's time with these classes, and any concern about injuries, etc.

I would advise you to stay away from Crossfit. They are just offering that deal to "hook" you in, and after that, they charge 3 or 4 times more than most gyms. It's totally NOT worth it!

Crossfit has a high rate of injuries because their workouts are extremely intense and are often not all that well supervised.

BTW, this is one of the most informative articles you'll find about the Crossfit organization.

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all
  • DDOCallaghan
    Options
    I think it's probably worth trying but one thing I have noticed is that it is a little 'cult-like'. I have a couple of friends that swear by it but they also seem to spend most of their time doing it and talking about it. I thought about it and even spoke with a gym in my area but I cannot afford it right now. Honestly, I'm not prepared to become obsessive about any one program and prefer doing what is convenient for me on a regular basis. I also have a feeling that if I had started it, my weak knee would probably be in bad shape about now!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Also, to become a "certified" Crossfit instructor, you just have to pay $1000 and attend a week long course...no pass/fail test. To become a higher level instructor, you pay more money and attend another course....still no pass/fail test. So pretty much, if you have cash, you're certified to teach Crossfit. Not to mention, most Crossfit gyms cost $100+ a month....no thanks.
  • Breedy75
    Breedy75 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Also, to become a "certified" Crossfit instructor, you just have to pay $1000 and attend a week long course...no pass/fail test. To become a higher level instructor, you pay more money and attend another course....still no pass/fail test. So pretty much, if you have cash, you're certified to teach Crossfit. Not to mention, most Crossfit gyms cost $100+ a month....no thanks.

Generalize much?

As someone else mentioned Cross-Fit gyms vary widely in cost and quality. IF you are getting a good deal I would check it out. Worst case scenario is you love but the cost goes up 2x to 3x, so you just do it on your own. Might be hard finding a tractor tire to flip but pretty much every other WOD can be mimicked at a standard gym and often times at home.
  • thefuzz1290
    Options

Generalize much?

As someone else mentioned Cross-Fit gyms vary widely in cost and quality. IF you are getting a good deal I would check it out. Worst case scenario is you love but the cost goes up 2x to 3x, so you just do it on your own. Might be hard finding a tractor tire to flip but pretty much every other WOD can be mimicked at a standard gym and often times at home.

Are you disputing the fact that all you have to do to become a certified Crossfit instructor is to pay some money and attend a class? That's not generalizing, that's informing. Are there more educated Crossfit instructors? Sure. Are there Crossfit instructors with no other formal training? Sure. That doesn't change the fact that there is no true certification and you really don't know who you're getting to watch over you as you're pushing your body to its limits. Or are you disputing that Crossfit gyms cost $100 a month or more, because I haven't seen one that costs less.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i just took a free crossfit class on saturday, and i couldn't be more happy. if i wasn't in the middle of my current training plan, i would've signed up right there and then.

yes, a lot of the bad things you hear about crossfit are true. trainers and members more concerned about times and reps done rather then form. and many crossfitters drink from the kool-aid hard. they can be very elitist.

however the gym i went to couldn't be further then that. as i was stretching and waiting for the intro class to start, three members introduced themselves. one suggested that i just go at my own pace, and not try and over do it on the first day. i was surprised he said that, and told him that. he said that they are focused on form, and developing a muscle memory first, before stacking on weight.

if you like competing against others and challenging yourself, crossfit is great. it builds a friendly rivalry within members, in a supportive structure. the classes also get you to do something that you wouldn't normally do, such as wall balls, or ball slams, or burpees. i was in a class with 10 others, and only one other guy. he was a rock climber, but besides that didn't work out much. a few of the girls were yoga fanatics, and two girls were rugby players, and two others were former crosscountry runners. basically all types of ppl.

the trainer/owner that ran the class was very knowledgable, friendly, and really nice. took the time to learn everyone's name. was not what i was expecting. mades sure everyone knew what they were doing.

honestly, i'm still feeling the burn from the class.

this is a great write up about crossfit that is not biased too much. http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/03/01/a-beginners-guide-to-crossfit/
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Most Crossfit gyms are VERY extreme, as the Crossfit organization is known for it's extremism.

In my opinion, it's not worth risking injury doing some crazy Crossfit workout routine just because they are offering a deal for the first month. A trip to the emergency room would cost MUCH more money than you might save that first month over joining a non-Crossfit gym.

The fact that your local Crossfit is offering a deal probably means they've already had so many people injured that they have now have space to recruit more members.
  • thefuzz1290
    Options
    I need to correct something, the level 1 certification for Crossfit is a 2 day seminar, not a week. Here is another good article, which is quite fair:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_investigative/the_truth_about_crossfit
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I did CrossFit once when stationed at a base that offered the program at the base gm. It was amazing! I gained strength and aerobic improvement. But especially strength.

Now I'm stationed at a base where the local cross fit gym only offers a handful of time slots. I tried it out once (a free lesson) and it, too, was awesome. But this particular one only signs you up if you can commit to 3x a week, and their schedule doesn't work for me. If it did, I would gladly pay the money.
  • engineman312
    Options
    i'd ignore health_gal if i were you. about 75% of what she posts is negative, and generally advocates against women lifting and crossfit in general.
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I just joined our local crossfit gym, and it's great. I have a spinal injury that I need to baby, so in addition to the regular crossfit I have one on one sessions with the trainer (free) to make sure I know proper forms and to work on substitutions for things like burpees that I physically cannot do without serious injury. The trainers are great, the people are nice. I get a community vibe, not a cult vibe. yes, it's expensive. but well worth it, at least in my case!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    The "normal" people that had a positive experience with Crossfit are in the minority.

Crossfit is known for being extreme and dangerous. Crossfit gyms attract a high percentgage of people that are into doing things to the extreme, and people that are interested in acheiving fitness by less extreme means usually feel very out of place at a Crossfit facility.

This is not just my opinion. Major news outlets, such as the NY Times have reported on the dangers of Crossfit's extreme exercise program.

Crossfit websites often post pictures of participants proudly displaying blistered, bleeding hands, or gashed legs, as if the goal is to see how badly you can tear your body up during a workout.

You are better off avoiding Crossfit even if it was free and instead try your local YMCA , a non-Crossfit trainer or other non-Crossfit gym that offers a schedule of fitness classes that are truly accessable by people of all fitness levels that are interested in feeling good after a workout, and not being too sore to walk for days, as many people are when they do Crossfit.
  • engineman312
    Options
    Crossfit is known for being extreme and dangerous. Crossfit gyms attract a high percentgage of people that are into doing things to the extreme, and people that are interested in acheiving fitness by less extreme means usually feel very out of place at a Crossfit facility.

in the class i took, four people ended up signing up. the closest one to "extreme" was the guy that also did indoor rock climbing. the other three were girls, two of which were rugby players... so yeah, extreme. nevermind. those rugby players are psycho.
    This is not just my opinion. Major news outlets, such as the NY Times have reported on the dangers of Crossfit's extreme exercise program.
    of course they're going to write about that. it's what sells papers, taking about the latest fad diet, or extreme work out.

Crossfit websites often post pictures of participants proudly displaying blistered, bleeding hands, or gashed legs, as if the goal is to see how badly you can tear your body up during a workout.

not on any of the crossfit websites that i saw

http://www.crossfitsouthbrooklyn.com/

http://crossfit718.com/
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to is not "officially" a CrossFit gym but the workouts consist of the same exercises, just without all the lingo! And its been the best thing I've ever done. Expensive yes, freakin amazing results, yes. I've belonged to multiple gyms in my life in a range of prices per month and I would cut so many things out of my daily life if I had to in order to keep doing what I'm doing.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The "normal" people that had a positive experience with Crossfit are in the minority.

EXTREME!

387386_10150358491188429_113434168428_8424986_295896734_n.jpg
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I think it's awful that people are letting their kids get involved in Crossfit. The YMCA is a much better enviornment for children.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I think it's awful that people are letting their kids get involved in Crossfit. The YMCA is a much better enviornment for children.
    A person could do a lot of good exercises at the Y. Such as burpees.
  • adamsilva
    adamsilva Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    woah! way to extreme! i'll stick to tai-bo and the ab circle