Ezekial Bread ...

Options
I've been thinking about trying this bread ... haven't heard much feedback from friends and family (hell, no one seems to know anything about it.)

I "read" great things about it but would rather someone's honest opinion.

Thoughts MFP peeps, before I go out and spend a ridiculous amount of money on a loaf of bread ??!!??

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It's very tasty! And it's better for you, and lower carb than traditional breads. Too bad it has yeast in it, otherwise I'd still be using it! I really love the cinnamon raisin variety!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It's very tasty! And it's better for you, and lower carb than traditional breads. Too bad it has yeast in it, otherwise I'd still be using it! I really love the cinnamon raisin variety!

Why is it better for you?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    There is nothing magical about Ezekial bread as far as your health is concerned. If you like it, I would get it. If you don't, I suggest going with bread you like.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I love Ezekiel Bread. I think the Genesis is good to start with because it's more like traditional bread. The Ezekiel is more dense. But those are my two favorites, don't really care for the Sesame. I find the Food for Life Bread fills me up more if I have it as toast for breakfast than traditional bread.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I prefer to make my own bread, but not for health reasons, I just like the way it makes my house smell, and if you make a few kinds you can slice them and freeze them in baggies and every sandwich can be on different bread. *throws confetti*

Ezekial bread didn't floor me, however, it has gluten so that might be part of why I didn't like it.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    It's a good heavy multigrain bread. I have no idea whether it's worth the money because I have no idea how much it costs because my partner does the shopping. Sorry!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If you like cardboard, you'll love ezekial bread
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about trying this bread ... haven't heard much feedback from friends and family (hell, no one seems to know anything about it.)

I "read" great things about it but would rather someone's honest opinion.

Thoughts MFP peeps, before I go out and spend a ridiculous amount of money on a loaf of bread ??!!??

It's deliscious warmed-up in a toaster. I really like the cinnamon raisin with almond butter. :)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I ate the low sodium bread back when I was eating wheat (pre-allergy dx).

Good for- toast, open-faced cheesey sammiches and bottom of chili bowl soppers. Sandwich- well, it's dry so you'll most likely want to add moisture ala dressing or mayo etc. Has the texture of the little pumpernickel loaves in party trays- or any dark German bread.

I didn't get any major health benefits from it- it also mad me sick (allergies yep) so I wont be the best person to ask about benefits of the bread.

If I hadn't needed a low sodium bread I would have skipped it.
  • Spacemonkeycommander
    Options
    It is higher in protein. 2 slices have about 10 g of protein and 160 cals. They have it at my costco or in the frozen section at whole foods.
  • 1sweetpea70
    1sweetpea70 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love it. I'm also loving the sprouted grain tortilla wraps. It's not for everyone tho...
  • BerylX
    BerylX Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I tried Ezekial bread - it's OK but kind of cardboard-y.

I really like and prefer the Silver Hills Bakery - 'The Big 16" bread - found in the same section as the Ezekial bread (Freezer)
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    It is good and it is high in fiber and protein and good toasted! Give it a try!
  • elizabeth51608
    elizabeth51608 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's good bread. I prefer it warmed/toasted. It's higher in protein and fiber than most other breads. I could actually go on and on about all the benefits of eating it, but you can read it yourself on their website.

http://www.foodforlife.com/our-products
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I like it, and I don't think it tastes like cardboard. I don't eat sandwiches as often as I used to, so I keep it in the freezer and toast it when I'm ready to use it. I like that I can pronounce everything on the label and it doesn't have added sugar in it. I've only had the whole grain one, though.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I do not eat the bread, but there tortillas are the lowest in calories that I can find in my area. To find them I have to go to health food stores because our grocery stores do not sell (not lucky enough for a whole foods or a trader joes) it so it is expensive and a little out of my way so I do not buy it often.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options

Why is it better for you?

I believe it is because it is made from sprouted whole grains, it does not have perservitives, and is high in fiber and protein. It has no flour. I keep it in the freezer until I open it, then it stays in the fridge.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I love it! It's better b/c the wheat is sprouted which makes it easier to digest, also it's cooked at lower temps so it's in a more pure form than regular bread

I can see how some people say it's like cardboard, it's definitely not something you would want to eat plain, but it's delicious with peanut butter or for a reuben sammich.

Of course, i like ilookthetype's idea of making different breads and keeping them in the freezer. I need to learn to make sourdough!
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Make your own. It is a meal in and of itself especially with low salt natural butter. The best way to get Ezekiel bread is from your mother who loves to bake and tells you to come over just after she bakes a bunch of loaves. I've never bought Ezekiel bread from the store. Maybe the store bought stuff does taste like crap.
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    I love this bread! It has 18 amino acids, is high in fiber and protein and a little lower in carbs. The seeds and grains are organic which is important to me. That's the main reason for the higher price (along with refrigerated shipping). There's evidence that sprouted grains have some health benefits but I couldn't find any data on whether baking with them offsets that. It molds quickly so I freeze it and pull out a few slices that I keep it in the fridge to use for toast or sandwiches. I'm gluten sensitive but I can eat this bread without bloating, gas or dermatitis.