Crock Pot Oatmeal?

Options
MrsNelson0904
MrsNelson0904 Posts: 122 Member
I'm looking for some recipes to try. It would be great if I could wake up to a hot ready-to-eat breakfast every morning! Does anyone have any recipes they would like to share??

Replies

• legalmanda
    legalmanda Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not an oatmeal recipe, but my new favorite breakfast is pumpkin pancakes. You can make up a big batch on the weekend, throw them in the fridge and have them all week. You could also freeze them, and heat them up as needed. Per serving I use:

1/4 cup Self-Rising Flour
    1/4 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
    3 tablespoons egg whites (I use All Whites in a box, you could separate a real egg, and probably use the whites of 1-2 eggs)
    1.5 teaspoon brown sugar
    splash of vanilla flavoring
    a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice

Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients (except for egg whites) separately and combine. Beat egg whites and add to batter. I like to taste the batter before adding egg whites to check for flavoring. Beating the egg whites makes a huge difference in the texture of the pancakes. Then I just cook them up with some pam.

1 serving yields 4-5 decently sized pancakes. (I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to dip the batter out & put on griddle). 190 cals, 34 carbs, 0 grams of fat, 11 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber.
  • Melalina
    Melalina Posts: 26
    Options
    Would recommend these from "Fix it and Forget It - Lightly."

Overnight Apple Oatmeal:

2 cups skim milk
    2 Tbsp honey or 1/4 cup brown sugar (I use Splenda Brown Sugar substitute and it tastes fine)
    1 Tbsp margarine
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 cup dry rolled oats (preferably old fashioned or quick-cooking, but not instant - it'll be a gummy mess)
    1 cup apples, chopped
    1/4 cup walnuts (optional)

1) Spray inside of slow cooker with non-fat cooking spray.
    2) In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Pour into cooker.
    3) Cover and cook on low overnight, ideally 6-8 hours.
    4) Wake up to yummy breakfast!

Makes 4 servings. 249 cal; 38 carbs; 8g fat; 9g protein.

Almond-Date Oatmeal

2 cups dry rolled oats
    1/2 cup dry Grape-Nuts cereal (weird, I know)
    1/2 cup slivered almonds
    1/4 cup chopped dates
    4 cups water

1) Spray slow cooker with non-fat cooking spray.
    2) In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Pour into cooker.
    3) Cook on low 4 - 6 hours.
    4) Wake up to another yummy breakfast!
    5) Serve with fat-free milk.

Makes 8 servings. 160 cal (45 from fat); 5g total fat; 26g carbs; 5g protein.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Gummy texture is all relative.

Re: rolled oats. These ARE instant oats too. When they're called "instant" oats, they're steamed & rolled very thin

When they're called "rolled" oats, they're steamed & then rolled (but not as) thin

I've made steel cut oats in the crock pot. Cooked them for 8 hours. I did use the non instant variety but, even these were too gummy for me. When I try this again, I will cook the day before.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I think all oatmeal is pasty! :)

But, I do the overnight using steel cut oats in the crock pot with apple chunks. Works as good as I expect. Definitely use the nonstick spray or plan on soaking the pot all day to get the pot stickers off.
  • bsktlvr
    bsktlvr Posts: 17
    Options
    These pancakes sound great. At Christmas I make Pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and this instantly reminde of these.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I cook steel cut oats in the crock pot overnight. You could flavor them any way you like. I cook a big batch and store it in the fridge for the week. Just taking out my portion and microwaving it with a little water or milk.

FYI-crock pot liners are awesome! Makes clean up a breeze. You can get them in the grocery store with the baggies, foil, etc.
  • rhazelwood
    rhazelwood Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Crock pot steel cut oats

If you have a large crockpot and a 4+ cup bowl which will fit inside of it:

1 cup of steel cut oat meal
    4 cups of water

Place a doubled sheet of aluminum foil in the bottom of the crock pot - the website I found this on says this will prevent the crock from cracking.
    Place the bowl inside of the crockpot and add the oatmeal and water.
    Pour enough water into the crock pot (not into the bowl) so that it comes close to the level of the water inside the bowl
    Set the crockpot on low overnight and your oatmeal will be ready when you wake up.

I've made this with blueberries and with brown sugar & maple flakes. Looking forward to trying it with raisins.

Enjoy :)
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Here is something I found on MFP awhile ago, it is pretty good and you can use any dried fruit (cherries, blueberries, rasins, ... etc....)

Slow Cooker Breakfast
    My favorite breakfast. I substitute margarine for the butter, and I add either an entire apple or a can (10.75 oz) of pumpkin puree to a double batch. This also freezes well!!

Ingredients

1 cup steel cut oats
    3 1/2 cups water
    1 cup peeled and chopped apple
    1/2 cup raisins
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Place the steel cut oats, water, apple, raisins, butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla extract into a slow cooker, and stir to combine and dissolve the sugar. Cover the cooker, set to Low, and allow to cook 6 to 7 hours (for firm oats) or 8 hours (for softer texture).
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why everyone wants to make oatmeal in a crock pot... Seems like a lot of hassle.

I make a bowl of oatmeal every morning. 1/2 cup old fashioned oats (instant tastes like paste) and water to cover. Cook on high for ~3 minutes. Additions:
    Mashed banana and milk
    Pumpkin, cinnamon, and a few walnut
    Cut up apples, milk and maple syrup
    Raisins
    A fried egg.
    Milk and honey
  • cachete22
    Options
    Alton Brown overnight oatmeal recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/overnight-oatmeal-recipe/index.html

I used to love this recipe and it got me started eating steel cut oats many years ago (more fiber and better than the rolled oats for you). Now, that I am trying to eat better, I make it healthier by adding less 1% milk & more water and no dried fruit. I may add some blueberries or strawberries in the morning after its cooked, and maybe some almond milk if its too thick, cinnamon, a scoop of whey protein powder, and tad bit of honey or splenda for sweetness.
  • sassygamma
    sassygamma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do this one and my family loves it!!!!
    http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2011/01/apple-pie-breakfast.html
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    " Now, that I am trying to eat better, I make it healthier by adding less 1% milk & more water and no dried fruit."

How does taking out the fruit make it more healthy?
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Those directions say to be sure to stir every hour. Not sure that would be good for an overnight thing unless that's more of a suggestion than a hard-and-fast rule. Do you stir it?
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    " Now, that I am trying to eat better, I make it healthier by adding less 1% milk & more water and no dried fruit."

I think they're just eliminating the dried fruit, which is often loaded with sugar and preservatives.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options

I think they're just eliminating the dried fruit, which is often loaded with sugar and preservatives.

Ah, that makes loads more sense.
  • cachete22
    Options
    Yes, this "I think they're just eliminating the dried fruit, which is often loaded with sugar and preservatives." .
  • MrsNelson0904
    MrsNelson0904 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses everyone! I'm interested in crockpot oatmeal because 1. there is hardly any nutritional value in the quicker cooking oats 2. I hardly have enough time in the morning to grab an apple in the morning to stick in my purse (gotta get the whole family out of the house by 7 to be on time for work) and 3. EVERYTHING TASTES BETTER IN THE CROCKPOT! lol. Thanks so much for all the suggestions!
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Bumping just because I am making the apple oatmeal again tonight for the morning.
    It is my new favorite recipe. :happy: