running from zombies... lol!!!!!
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    easy to do with little or no equipment
    enjoyable (for some)
    real-world applications; e.g., running from zombies, running from police

running from zombies... lol!!!!!

That is the main goal. To get ready when the zombies attack. I will need to outrun those suckers.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    1) Inexpensive
    2) Get outdoors which is a big deal for those of us who are in office settings
    3) Good time to think; it's much cheaper than therapy
    4) Tremendous sense of accomplishment when you do something like finish a marathon
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Wow I love these replies they are all so inspiring.

Another reason I pushed myself is that I spent the last three years on medication for a heart condition. I recently came off these (under doctor's guidance) and it feels great to feel like I can push myself to do things I do find difficult (whereas swimming etc is easy for me and I like a challenge) without feeling scared of or limited by my heart.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Becasue you look hot while doing it

You wouldn't say that if you had ever seen me wearing running tights!:laugh:
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I love running. It helps me clear my head. It's alone time. I love listening to my music.
    It's challenging. I also enjoy weight training. But I prefer a good run.
    Having a goal like a race helps keep you motivated. Plus races are fun. I suggest if you want to enjoy running more sign up for some races. The atmosphere at races are awesome.
  • carilyn39
    carilyn39 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Nothing if you hate it. I have tried running several times and never got the 'high' that other posters are talking of. I love walking, and it burns almost as many calories as running - just takes you longer to get there!
    [/quote

that made me laugh. I too run occasionally, but like you i enjoy walking awhole lot more. may take longer but at least we enjoy the trip. :laugh: ]
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    bump for later
    :love:
  • revjames
    revjames Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Whats so special about running? well its a sense of achievement for a start. I started a year ago having struggled most of my life with weight and fitness issues. Last summer on my birthday I ran 13.5 miles in 2 hrs 15 mins - not blisteringly quick by any means but wow what an achievement. Yes the hardest thing is getting out of your chair and putting your shoes on, then the first 10 mins a barrier but after that you feel like you could go on and on. Brilliant - love it.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Running gives me a sense of accomplishment. I also use it as a form of meditation. when I run, it is just me and my thoughts. Plus I don't have to keep track of my calories nearly as much. When I do decide to have a treat, there is no guilt involved.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It is what the human body is designed, or evolved if you like, to do. Humans are the best endurance runners on the earth. To run is to be human.

I completely agree with this. We are designed to be able to run for days. Most animals are faster, but can only do an hour or so.

A really good illustration of this is in the film The Eagle. My husband was complaining it was unrealistic that a group of Picts managed to run down some people on horse back. I pointed out that in a day, absolutely, horses are faster. Over three days, the chances are the humans will win.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tanklissa
    tanklissa Posts: 70
    Options
    It burns a decent amount of calories, it's a great stress reliever...
  • Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I persevered because people including my physio told me I couldn't and that maybe running wasn't for me. I may not be in love with running to the extent I am with other things, but I do love proving people wrong who said I couldn't do it!

Thanks to high school wrestling, and a long Army career with multiple deployments, my running days are (sadly) over. I have chronic arthritis in both knees, and lower back pain daily.

I get my cardio through the eliptical trainer, the stationary bike, and hiking thru Garden of the Gods (Colorado Springs). Find an exercise that you like and that doesn't take a toll on your body -- trust me on this.
  • caitwied
    caitwied Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    easy to do with little or no equipment
    enjoyable (for some)
    real-world applications; e.g., running from zombies, running from police

hahaha.
  • knucklescasey
    Options
    I have never considered myself at all a runner. I can barley run for a mintue. I have really short legs (4'11) but i am trying out the c25k thing here soon and I hope it works for me. you can google it. it really helps when you first start running and i have heard nothing but good things from it.
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    interval running has shred fat for me like crazy, aside from decreasing my resting heart rate as well. it makes me feel like i get a great workout in such a short amount of time. plus i like that it can be done outside or inside :D
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Although I am an avid runner, I really don't consider it anything special and I'm always intrigued over the debates it sparks.

Running is bad for you/running is good for you. I love running/I hate running.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I love running.
    Its a great way to get out stress and unwind.
    Its fun to compete with myself and see the improvements.
    Running gets me outdoors and taking in the scenery, something I love is to be outdoors.

I love lifting weights.
    its a great way to get out stress and unwind.
    Lifting gets me in the gym and taking in the scenery, something I love is to be in the gym.

:happy:
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I love running.
    Its a great way to get out stress and unwind.
    Running gets me outdoors and taking in the scenery, something I love is to be outdoors.

I love lifting weights.
    its a great way to get out stress and unwind.
    Lifting gets me in the gym and taking in the scenery, something I love is to be in the gym.

:happy:

^^^ agreed!