Zumba questions

Options
124»

Replies

• pooh431bear
    pooh431bear Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba at my gym...I love it! I am not very coordinated either and at 225lbs...I can get through the whole hour class! Just keep moving...if you make a mistake...then so be it! Its fun!
  • mangoriverblue
    Options
    I used to be a trained dancer, ballet, modern, jazz...taught yoga for years...and then my daughter-in-law took me to the gym with her to a Zumba class. I was overweight, hadn't been exercising in some time but forged ahead. The class was a kick-*kitten* amazing workout!!! You don't have to be a dancer (my background certainly didn't help me that day at all :-)) you just have to be willing to work your butt off. It's fun, it's hard at the beginning and challenging. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks or does, you're doing this for yourself. Go in do what you can, don't do what you can't, it'll get easier as you learn the moves and feel good about every bit of sweat that falls from you working so hard...and don't forget to laugh, (in general,) at yourself at times and have fun!!! Oh...and remember you're not alone feeling the way you do, plenty of others will be experiencing it for the first time as well. Go for it! ;-)
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I used to do Zumba at the gym...I loved it!!!!!!Fantastic workout......However, when I first started I had no rythem at all I did feel like a dork. I started out only using my legs and worked arm movement in once I felt comfortable with the routines. I got really good at it then my hips couldn't take it anymore :sad: I was really bummed because I felt Zumba really transformed my body quickly:smile:

Now I do everything that doesn't move my hips :ohwell:

Have fun:flowerforyou:
  • LPinTheD
    LPinTheD Posts: 129
    Options
    I haven't tried it at the gym yet, but I have Zumba 2 for the Wii (which is way better than their first Zumba "game") and it's a blast... I fry calories (I wear a HRM) and work up a sweat. Today I burned 315 cals in 45 minutes.. not too shabby! I like that I can choose to do a short/medium/long class, or just workout to my favorite songs. It also has a tutorial section where you can learn the different moves/steps. It comes w/a belt that you wear at your hips and tuck the controller into, so you get feedback throughout your workout.

Have fun!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I went to Zumba today and realized that after 4 weeks, I can now not only make it through the entire 60 minutes without doubling over out of breath but when I walked out, I was the pleasantly kind of tired and alert. In the beginning I told my friend that I didn't know how anyone can say they have energy after a workout because I was ready to crawl in bed for the night and I'm not a daytime napper! For sure I needed a shower and about an hour down time but I didn't feel groggy or hung over. I felt exhilarated! That is progress! I spent the rest of the day very productively busy!

My HRM isn't the most accurate because it doesn't have a chest belt so it doesnt monitor my heartbeat continuously and I have to periodically push the button to feed it a new heart rate (got a Polar F40 coming in the mail) but it said I burned a whopping 1100 calories for my one hour workout. MFP said 540. So I split the difference and said 800 for today.

Even though my breath was much better and I didn't feel the urge to see how much longer I have to persevere until 50 minutes into class (!!! I was struggling at 15 min. the first week!!!), I was definitely working up a sweat and muscle burn.

Now I'm actually not just liking it, I'm looking forward to it. I'm so anti-exercise that this is such a huge surprise to me.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Surprised this hasn't been added. Clearly it needs to be(for levity)! :bigsmile:
    Zumba+how+we+feel+how+we+look.jpg
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    No one can do all the moves correct the entire time. They would have to be veteran enough to have memorized all the moves and that is only if the instructor is completely static in her routine.

We really are way too busy trying to stay on top of it to care what anyone else is doIng. Usually if I have any time whatsoever to look, it is because I'm completely bamboozled by that move that I have to stop a second to laugh at myself. Occasionally I glance but really people do what they can and there are varying levels of proficiency or lack of it for every single song. It's fun and no big deal.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's a blast...no one cares really. You always have a couple that MIGHT be snotty and think they are better then everyone...but Zumba is suppose to be for fun...
  • brittyc1988
    Options
    Surprised this hasn't been added. Clearly it needs to be(for levity)! :bigsmile:

Ha! This is fantastic. This is definitely how I felt
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Ha! This is fantastic. This is definitely how I felt
    Oh my gosh I was seriously just about to post that picture lol I have it on my Facebook
  • ashleywhitford
    Options
    If you are nervous to try zumba, you could try it at home with this fun zumba dvd collection:
    http://thecelebritycafe.com/reviews/2012/03/zumba-exhilarate-dvd-collection
  • mbilling
    mbilling Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    In my experience, YES, you will look like a moron...BUT so will everybody else in the room! Seriously. Nobody will be looking at you. They'll be caught up in their own silliness. Go try it!
  • ScotinSeattle
    ScotinSeattle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My Zumba teacher said this in her class last Wednesday: It's a known fact that the less you worry about how you look the more calories you'll burn :D