Kellogg's study

Options
pamelad77
pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
Anyone else hear on the news this morning about the study Kellogg's have commissioned stating sugar is ok.

Apparently, according to them, it doesn't lead to obesity, heart disease, diabetes, behavioural problems in kids, nothing. It's fine to eat.

Just interested to see the details of the results.
After all, if it says a small amount daily is fine then I'd agree, but other than that???

Who knows, as the old quote goes, "lies, damn lies and statistics"
It's a well known fact you can manipulate figures to prove any point you want to.

Replies

• Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    I am sad enough to watch 'Supernanny'! And I think she'll agree with the sugar not affecting kid's behaviour as such, it is usually the excitement that comes with it that makes for the behaviour! (Christmas, birthday, any party etc) All in moderation, I suppose! :bigsmile:
  • Swampstar
    Swampstar Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It's been proven that sugar has absolutely no affect on childrens behaviour at all. Give a kid a packet of skittles and they'll go hyper because you've allowed them to eat sweets, give them a bag of placebos labelled as skittles and the same thing will happen...
  • tubbstattsyrup
    tubbstattsyrup Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If I have sugar overload, I can feel it in my system. I know when the rush has passed because I feel tired and I crave more sugar. Sorry, but sugar is just empty calories and Kelloggs need the sales..
  • hippychickuk
    hippychickuk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am a bit suspicious of Kellogg's commissioning the study. That's like Phillip Morris saying nicotine is not all that bad... But I'll wait to see the results. :wink:
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    If I have sugar overload, I can feel it in my system. I know when the rush has passed because I feel tired and I crave more sugar. Sorry, but sugar is just empty calories and Kelloggs need the sales..

the rush you refer to would be from insulin which is why after eating refined carbs you crave them so quickly.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    well that is true..its been known for a while..

sugar isnt bad in itself....the only thing sugar can do is cause dental caries..and its empty calories.

its what we put sugar in that is bad for us..candy bars, sodas etc..

and its not the sugar that effects kids behaviour..its the CAFFIENE in the products that contain sugar.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    People want a boogy man to blame for all their troubles.

I blame all my problems on Ross Perot.
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    People want a boogy man to blame for all their troubles.

I blame all my problems on Ross Perot.
    lol! :laugh: :laugh:
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I'm not gonna trust anything that Kellogg's has to say about nutrition.

What a joke.
  • pamelad77
    Options
    Have a feeling that the summary will be something along the lines of

As part of a well balanced diet, the sugar content of foods is irrelevant if consumed in appropriate amounts
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    all one has to do is google "fructose, carbs and belly fat" and sit back and read through study after study after study how those two items (which go hand in hand - higher sugar = higher carbs) cause a good % of weight problems...

Of course Kellogs is going to say sugar is irrelevant...it is in everything they manufacture
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    all one has to do is google "fructose, carbs and belly fat" and sit back and read through study after study after study how those two items (which go hand in hand - higher sugar = higher carbs) cause a good % of weight problems...

Of course Kellogs is going to say sugar is irrelevant...it is in everything they manufacture

Agreed........

Once again, most are going to jump on the band wagon and agree with Kelloggs as they are monetary supporters to their manufactured foods that allow people to be lazy.

I am so glad I don't have this mindset.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

What a joke.

Do you trust the nutritional information on the Raisin Bran side panel or is that a joke too?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Anyone else hear on the news this morning about the study Kellogg's have commissioned stating sugar is ok.

Apparently, according to them, it doesn't lead to obesity, heart disease, diabetes, behavioural problems in kids, nothing. It's fine to eat.

Just interested to see the details of the results.
    After all, if it says a small amount daily is fine then I'd agree, but other than that???

Who knows, as the old quote goes, "lies, damn lies and statistics"
    It's a well known fact you can manipulate figures to prove any point you want to.

This is the sad thing, kelloggs is right. This is how things are misleading and inaccurate. If you eat about 1/2tsp a day, you think you'd suffer from the symptoms you listed? No, so "it's okay to eat." if you eat a pound of it a day... would your symptoms be different? Of course.

In both cases you're "eating sugar"

Refined sugar is not healthy. The nutrients have been stripped and are gone.

HFCS is another subject all together.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

What a joke.

Do you trust the nutritional information on the Raisin Bran side panel or is that a joke too?

It is pretty much a joke. Calculations are off by at least 20-25%.

I don't eat processed food any longer.
  • rdmchugh
    rdmchugh Posts: 76
    Options
    Can you really trust a study done by a major processed food supplier? Not me! BP also says there's no problems in the Gulf of Mexico...tell that the to shrimpers pulling up shrimp with no eyes.
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am a bit suspicious of Kellogg's commissioning the study. That's like Phillip Morris saying nicotine is not all that bad... But I'll wait to see the results. :wink:
    The cigarette thing popped into my head as well. It's hard to believe a study done by a source that has an interest in selling a product.
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    It's probably some stupid and ridiculous technical loop hole, definitely not true. Do you have a link? Because I googled it and couldn't find this study anywhere.
  • pamelad77
    Options
    Don't have a link, they spoke about it on the news this morning and Chris evens on the breakfast show was on about it too
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Kellogg's owns Kashi & Bear Naked........stick with the real sugar in fruits & vegetables.