When do you buy new clothes?

Options

Replies

• TerriLee321
    Options
    While losing pounds and inbetween sizes, I take no shame in going to the bargain & thrift shops for some "gently worn" clothes, especially jeans. I know I won't be in them for long, so I don't want to keep paying full price for every size I come across until I reach my goal. In the meantime that saves me money so I can look forward to one awesome shopping trip when I do reach my goal weight.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I have a few jeans from when I was lighter (two sizes smaller than what I was wearing when I started). I am right in the middle now, so I did pick up a couple of pairs of jeans to get me through the gap. Then I'll be in the old jeans. As for work clothes, I'll likely wear my belt tighter until that just starts looking silly.

I won't buy a new wardrobe until I reach may target weight. Then I'll donate all of my old clothes to goodwill.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I avoid stretchy pants and shorts because that's part of how I gained weight without feeling it. My pants grew with me....

Not much motivates me better than fitting into a smaller size, so I frequent Good Will and thrift shops. I drop off the too big clothes on the donation end and then go to the storefront and buy smaller ones. I haven't paid more than $6.50 for a pair of jeans in years! If you don't like the idea of wearing recycled clothes, another good source is closeout stores like TJ Maxx and Ross. You may, or may not, have them in your area. I rarely buy anything retail unless it is a VERY special occasion since I discovered these options.

And like the others said a belt helps a lot when you are in between sizes.
  • Poetic_
    Poetic_ Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I need to get some new clothes bad. I bought a new belt this past weekend, the previous one couldn't hold my pants up any longer, they literally fell straight down one morning just standing a certain way.

I'll probably buy a few things soon to get me by until the next time.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I probably waited a good 6 months before I bought ANYTHING. It wasn't a money issue as much an "I hate shopping because I can't find any cute clothes that fit me" issue.

But one day, I got out of my car at work, and my pants fell to my ankles, and I knew it was time to face the fact that I needed new clothes. Knowing that whatever fit me at that time probably wouldn't fit me in a month or two, I wasn't willing to "invest" in a new wardrobe. I shopped at Old Navy and other places where I could find acceptable clothing at cheap prices. I bought things that I could mix and match so I could make several different outfits out of relatively few items.

Once I reached a size 4/6, I realized I probably was not going to get much smaller, so I spent quite a bit on a new, quality wardrobe.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I didn't buy a new pair a of jeans til I lost 20lbs- wearing a belt wasn't cutting it. With Spring coming up, a few a new outfits would be awesome. Gotta show off the body a bit and be proud of it.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on buying new clothes until I reach my goal. I am saving money for the day and I plan on buying everything I couldn't buy when I was big. I am perfectly content wearing sweats for the next few months. The only thing I may buy in between is gym clothes because well, no one needs to see my *kitten* if my pants fall down when I'm working out.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I'd say every 10-12 lbs. but it's a great reward system for weight loss. Makes you feel great when you go shopping for new clothes in a smaller size. Luckily, I held on to some sweaters, jeans and pants from when I was in highschool(10 years ago) cause now I wear those all the time. Great feeling!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    When I was in between sizes I went to good will to get some things cheap. They have some good stuff.
  • jedi9393
    jedi9393 Posts: 121
    Options
    i wanna know too. I've lost 60lbs and had to go thru my closet at 45lbs and toss everything that was too big. I bought new clothes and I'm almost back and square one. My starting size was 24 and now i'm a 14/16. My new pants are getting loose and I bought them at a smaller size!
  • Doresoontobehealthy
    Doresoontobehealthy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I agree thrift stores are the way to go until you reach goal. You can recycle your clothes and you're always wearing something that fits!
  • cbrewer904
    Options
    This spring when new colours are out.... seriously it would be just throwing my money away if I buy something new every week... Will buy a piece here and there as needed until I HAVE to. What a wonderful day that will be!!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    I am so broke that I have no temptation to buy anything new until I hit my goal weight except new bras and panties, because those are a must. When I graduate I should be close tho and I will get a few things for summer.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I wear leggings and tunics so I don't have to buy clothes too often. Plus, they're inexpensive and much more comfortable.

This.
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I found that around every 8 pounds was a size. I went from a size 14+ (stopped buying new clothes when I gained and 14 was my stopping point). I thought I had reached my goal at 115 and bought all size 4s on a shopping spree and went down to 112, although only 3 pounds that put me into a size 2. I wish I would have waited because I still have yet to go shopping since i had bought so much in the 4s. I didn't have to buy much because I had went from a 6-14 and had the clothes. My advice would be to see the steady movement of your loss and judge that around 8-10 pounds will be a size and if you are consistent then you will figure out through the journey when you will need things. I wouldnt go too crazy on the purchases until you find the place you really want to settle. I waited to buy the 2s because i wanted to make sure I wasn't going to gain it back and they say its a few months before you really know. It's been 6 months so hopefully this weekend I'll finish up my shopping, I do recommend waiting until you are accustom to the new lifestyle change too before the big purchases. Hope all that helped!! Good Luck!

SW 155.1
    GW 112.0
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    I have spent thousands of dollars on new clothes and I'm not even at my goal weight. I'm always shopping. My husband is pretty fed up with me. :frown:

I can't stand to wear big baggy clothes though so I'd rather spend money on new stuff than not.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My mom helped me take in many pairs of my pants with just some quick darts so that I could continue to wear them a bit longer. It wasn't pretty but it got the job done for a few months.
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have this issue as well. I went from 42 jeans and finally broke down and bought 38's and new shirts at Christmas time. I am now easily into a 36, but am trying to hold off until I get to 34's so I can skip a size. I also really am starting to need new shirts, but spring is around the corner so I will wait. At that point I might buy more then enough to just get "by". I am tired of doing laundry.
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    My closet looks like a clothes explosion right now. I buy things every few weeks. I shop mostly at Marshalls, TJ Maxx and Ross. I buy a lot of things on clearance racks. I did the thrift store thing for quite a long time when I was dropping a size every few weeks. I also had a ton of clothes from before.

Now my size is regulating a bit. My lowest size has been a size 4/6. I am happy at that size.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    When its necessary. If you are continuing to lose weight, pants dont fit, but you are still a ways from your goal weight, maybe just buy one or two pairs of pants etc. Then as long as you maintain your weight loss, maybe noone will notice till your ready for the next pair!