Lunch at McDonald's.....WOW.

Options

Replies

• fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    McDonald's has very good salads, and they are big enough to fill you up and include grilled chicken. The dressing packets are 100 calories each, and you don't even need the whole thing -- come on, people, it's only 100 cals -- to kick up the flavor.

There are other considerations though even when making a good choice at a fast food restaurant instead of eating at home. I'm sure the chicken they use is full of hormones, antibiotics, fillers and other things. I used to get the southwest salad, but now I get the bacon ranch. The reason? Corn is the number one GMO product out there, and I'm sure McDonald's doesn't use organics. Soy is number two (in case you were wondering).
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    .....but I didn't have a choice. .

nonsense

Well......my choice was either eat at mcdonald's around lunchtime....or not eat until 9pm. Glad I chose to eat. Could have made better choices AT mcdonald's though.

Wish it were a law to post nutritional values (never saw any posted in KS, OK, MO)......flyer on the trays were blank on the back.

I ate well the rest of the day. So it's not a big deal.

It's a federal law if you're in the states...

Not all states. Heck. Not MOST states.

If they are a part of the United States of America, then yes. IT IS. It's a federal freaking law. FEDERAL=all 50 states and the territories...

http://www.restaurantlawonline.com/federal-nutrition-disclosure-law-what-you-need-to-know/

I do believe McDonald's has more than 20 locations all running with the name "MCDONALD'S," yes?

It was SIGNED into law, and some places (NY, a few states in the PNW) have started enforcing the law already
    as early as 2011
    , but it has NOT been ENACTED in every state yet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/business/24menu.html
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    No need to be rude. Yes, there was a law passed requiring the FDA to create menu-labeling regulations. BUT the FDA has not finalized those regulations yet. So no, the counts aren't necessarily posted in states that don't have their own labeling rules.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/FDATrack/track-proj?program=healthcare-reform&id=ACA-4205-Implementation
    Thank you, Google didn't bring up a .gov site for me, I got the NY Times, lol.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    While McD's food isn't nutritional to eat daily, imho, it's not gonna kill you to do it occasionally. I had my first McD's meal in several months yesterday due to time constraints. I could work out and then grab a McD's to eat in the car on my way to rehearsal, or I could eat nutritiously and skip the workout. I chose to workout and have a Filet-o-Fish for 390 calories. Well, within my calorie limits.

I do love using MFP on my Android so I can check the nutritional content before ordering. Super handy.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Their regular hamburger is only 250. AND their ice cream cone is only 150. That and a large diet doctor pepper and you have a great lunch.
    I'm flipping obsessed with those ice cream cones. So good!
  • AUNIkki
    AUNIkki Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always get the grilled chicken snack wrap. 250 calories
  • ellel1234
    ellel1234 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you are ever in a situation where you are in a hurry and need to stop by McDonald's for lunch there ARE (few) healthy options!
    You can get a plain grilled chicken breast -- this is served on a head of lettuce and pretty tasty! Only 90 calories, or you can have them put it on a side salad if you would like to eat it that way, do not get any dressing with it (McDonald's dressings are LOADED in fat). You could even put it on the Caesar salad, again with no dressing.

Along with the chicken breast, I like to order a medium iced BLACK coffee (decaf) and the sugar free vanilla syrup, close to no calories in that. I would only recommend this to coffee lovers because it may seem a bit strong. I'm not sure if they have skim milk there but if they do, you could add some of that to your coffee.

I also like to get apple slices (no longer have caramel) and get 2 bags, around 30 calories. Of course it's better to have just a normal apple not kept in preservatives, but it is reassuring McDonald's apple slices are kept in lots of vitamin c to help them keep color, not some really terrible preservative.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I go for the Grilled SouthWest Chicken Salad with vinegrette dressing. It lands around 350-400 calories I believe.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    900 calories is a lot, but it's not the end of the world. Like you said tomorrow is a new day, but today's still here! Did the 900 calorie lunch put you way over for the day? If so, do you have time to go for a quick run/walk this afternoon?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to McD in years (don't like their food) but I remember reading at one time that they posted nutrition information. Is that just regional?

A friend at work that eats there often told me that it was posted at the one near our office, but they nearly always had some type of display in front of it so you wouldn't see it unless you knew where to look. :frown:
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I can't step foot in the place I know it would be a slippery slope old go to used to be two mcdoubles and a mcchicken and of course a,large Diet soda :p just plan ahead and make better choices next time there have been lots of good ideas on this thread for u :)

Same here!!! I have to be careful about going there, because I could easily get right back into that order almost exactly!
  • Icedancer94
    Icedancer94 Posts: 108
    Options
    I barely ever ever go, but lasttime I had a grilled chicken salad without bacon, which was 115 calories, and shared a medium coke with my mum, so not sure how many that was :-)
  • Mrsairforce
    Mrsairforce Posts: 130
    Options
    Even if some of their "food" is lower in calories, check out the sodium level and the level of processing. Gross. I can't believe I ever let myself eat that stuff.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    ^ This.

I can work off a few calories, it's the sodium
    that kills me. Even the grilled chicken salad has
    1040(mg) of sodium. I can eat 2 regular hamburgers,
    and a water. That would fill me up with 500 calories,
    but that would also be 1040 (mg) of sodium!
    I wonder how much sodium could be reduced by
    subtracting the pickles, ketchup, and grill seasoning???
  • amandamickey
    Options
    All the burgers are full of trans fat. It's not just about calories.

the chicken is so full of preservatives and chemicals to make it tasty anyone would gag if they saw them on a plate

bottom line...you get what you pay for...it isnt cheap because they love us...they just want you to think its "not that bad". It is truly scary garbage and should be avoided at all cost.

Absolutely agree with you!

If you haven't seen "Food Inc." (documentary), I strongly suggest watching it! It will FOREVER change the way you see the fast food industry & more....
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    .....but I didn't have a choice. .

nonsense

^^THIS, there are always healthier choices (that aren't as tasty), like a salad with balsamic dressing and water with a lemon or diet coke. It's just making the right choices that we struggle with not the choices allotted us on the menu.
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I always try to go to wendy's instead. They're just better.
  • LovelyDayDay
    LovelyDayDay Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    holy smokes!!!
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    McDonald's' is one of the fast food places, I have sworn off of! Haven't eaten it in years! And I don't miss it one bit!!! I say if you are completely 'forced' (hehe) to go here, get the salad with no chicken or if you need to eat the gross tasting, inhumanely treated animals, at least get the grilled or baked, whichever they have. And water! I'd personally rather eat nothing. I say, if you're going to 'cheat, indulge, etc.,' make it worth it!!! But anywho, tomorrow is another day and now you know how many calories it was, this may help you out for the next time you go...
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    McDonald's' is one of the fast food places, I have sworn off of! Haven't eaten it in years! And I don't miss it one bit!!! I say if you are completely 'forced' (hehe) to go here, get the salad with no chicken or if you need to eat the gross tasting, inhumanely treated animals, at least get the grilled or baked, whichever they have. And water! I'd personally rather eat nothing. I say, if you're going to 'cheat, indulge, etc.,' make it worth it!!! But anywho, tomorrow is another day and now you know how many calories it was, this may help you out for the next time you go...

Oh, but I do LOVE their regular coffee :)