Kellogg's study

Options
13»

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i know (for my kids anyway) sugar doesnt make them hyper, or fat.
    however, artificial colors do make them extremely hyper and almost to the point they are unable to listen.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Well, Kellogg's is owned by Monsanto, the leader in genetically modified food, so...
  • renku
    renku Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna trust anything that Kellogg's has to say about nutrition.

What a joke.

Do you trust the nutritional information on the Raisin Bran side panel or is that a joke too?

Nope, I don't. Nutritional information on processed foods is very loosely regulated and thus often misleading or just plain incorrect.

Just look at the differnce in products in Canada and USA, both are the same ingredients with varying nutritional info
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Buahahaha! I learned about their origins in my American History class... never will think about corn flakes the same way ever again.
    Please share???

Well apparently, the Kellogg brothers believed very strongly about enemas being healthy, and according to my history professor (which I may have to actually email her about this because I cannot find it on the internet)... they used to administer corn flake enemas.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Oh and I never got hyper from sugar either... My problem with sugar is it's in everything and it makes people consume extra unneeded calories, but in and of itself, it isn't any better or worse than any other food product.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I am a bit suspicious of Kellogg's commissioning the study. That's like Phillip Morris saying nicotine is not all that bad... But I'll wait to see the results. :wink:
    smoking_01.jpg

haha, "NICOTINE" isn't that bad. What is bad is all the heavy metals put in cigarettes, and a lot of other crap. A cigarette contains over 4,000 chemicals.

Umm....did you really just "justify" nicotine? Yes, nicotine is bad. It's an addictive stimulant that can be used as an insecticide.
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    When I see a Kellogg's steak then we'll talk.
  • kelleyt2
    kelleyt2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Apparently sugar is doing something to kid's teeth though. That was another news worthy story today.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sugar on its own is not bad for you. Sugar does not cause any of those problems stated in the first post. Being overweight causes those problems. And eating too many calories causes you to be overweight. The amount of sugar is honestly irrelevant.

The sooner you stop looking for one specific food to blame for your health problems, the sooner your health will improve.

yes eating to many calories can cause you to be overweight...but too much FRUCTOSE sugar (which also increases carb count) can cause fat - specifially belly fat.

And yes everything in moderation - if you have a bowl of cereal a day and eat clean the rest of the time it isn't a big deal...but for someone who's diet is full of processed foods - even most "diet" foods contain a small amount of High FRUCTOSE sugar...

The thing here is reading and learning about the different types of sugars and how they react within your body - there are three main types - Glucose, Fructose and Sucrose - Sucrose is made up of roughly 1/2 Fructose and 1/2 Glucose...

So if you are saying the sugar in a bowl of cereal is the same as the sugar in an apple - that can be very wrong depending on the TYPE of Fructose corn syrup they use - some have 50% fructose to 50% glucose - where others have most of the sugars coming from Fructose

The information out there is misleading in a way - one backlash was against High fructose Corn Syrup being bad for you as COMPARED to regular sugar - when you compare the most used formuation of High Fructose Corn Syrup to regular sugar (which is Sucrose) they are not wrong is saying it is about the same - meaning the ratios of glucose, fructose are about the same...

And to say just having HFCS or regular sugar is bad for you isn't wrong...

But the thing is - since it is in allllll sorts of things the average person consumes WAY to much sugar (in any of the forms) which can increase calories and carbs which can lead to weight gain and the development of body fat (especially belly fat)

so one is right - what is the difference in eating an apple vs a ding dong if they both have the same amount of sugar (besides all the other chemicals that are in a ding dong that I won't delve into) - if that is the bulk of your sugar for the day then not so much a big deal...but you have some cereal in the morning and then some 100 calorie bag of Loorna Doones (cause hey they are only 100 calories) and then for lunch you have a turkey sandwich and a granola bar....etc...each of those things has sugars in them - from the cereal to the bread - so you are stacking suger up little by little by little so you are consuming so much sugar in any given day...

Fructose isn't bad for you either. In fact, most "natural" sugar is fructose. Fruits are a majority of sucrose and fructose, honey is mostly fructose, agave is mostly fructose, etc. Here's some reading:

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

If fructose is such an abominable evil, humans would've died off millennia ago, since we pretty much lived on honey for thousands of years.

Also, think of it this way, your entire argument says that high fructose corn syrup is healthier than honey, since HFCS is 55% fructose, and honey is about 90% fructose.