Best blender for smoothies?

Options
origwvgirl
origwvgirl Posts: 90 Member
what is the best blender for crushing ice for smoothies? I am trying to make a chocolate protein smoothie with cocoa powder and peanut butter that my old gym made. I bought a Ninja professional blender that is supposed to make "snow" from ice but it doesn't live up to the promise because it leaves chunks and doesn't blend well.

Replies

• XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    i own a vitamix. it is the most amazing thing ive ever purchased.
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If you don't wanna spend the $$ for a Vitamix, go with the Ninja 1000! I LOVE mine. I broke my regular blender with this one banana bread recipe... I tried the same recipe in the Ninja (hoping I wouldn't break my new $100 blender... lol), but it smashed through it like it was nothing!! They have a kid that comes with a food processor AND the blender, too. I wish I had invested in that set. But even just the blender is amazing!
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Khols & Bed Bath & Beyond have the Ninja kit. I bought it for under $70 and I believe it has a: 48 oz, a 40 oz, and a 16 oz container. I love it and use it for smoothies and everything. Sometimes I have to stir the ice a little with a spatula (push it down) but thats because I like my smoothies extra thick! It chops up the spinach I add to my smooties (I put 2 cups of baby spinach leaves whole).
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My $35 12 speed Oster works for me right now. I get chunk free smoothies every morning. The trick is to start with liquid and soft ingredients then add the hard stuff a little at a time.

I would LOVE to have a Vitamix, but for now my Oster gets the job done. :)
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    The Vitamix is the best blender out there. There isn't a job it can't do. I love it.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I've had a vitamix for more than 30 years. Mind you it was "old and well used" when I got it. Although it still works perfectly I bought a new one about 15 years ago. I gave my old one to my niece. It is a little pricey up front but well worth it. Reconditioned ones cost a little less. Although you can get by with other blenders. Once you've owned a vitamix you would never use anything else. I use it several times a day every day. My container cracked but it was still useable after about 10 years. I called the company to get a replacement. To my surprise they replaced it at no charge even though the warrenty was for 7 years. They said it should not have failed even with heavy useage and the kids occasionally dropping it too. Great company! Great Product!
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    That's too bad. I got a Ninja and it totally lives up to the promise. I was afraid it wouldn't, but I am very impressed!
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have a breville ikon, thought it was the best blender I had ever used. It does everything and makes great shakes. Then I started seeing the vitamix in action. There is absolutely no comparisson. You would think a blender is a blender, but somehow the vitamix is just flat out amazing. Using fresh berries and get some tiny seeds in your teeth? Not with a vitamix! Even blackberry and raspberry seeds are completely obliterated. Not to mention hot soups from fresh veggies! Spend the money, you will use it every day and never look back.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I have a CHEAP blender from walmart (it was the one for 19.99) and it blends better than the $100 "professional" blender I had bought and broke!
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't use a blender for smoothies because I HATE to have to clean the blender cup. I use an immersion blender (stick blender) instead and all I have to do is rinse off the stick part. I had a kitchen aid stick blender and it was awesome! I always blend frozen fruit and ice with it . The only thing I've had a problem with was when I tried to put kale in a smoothie.... the kale chunks weren't blended. But if you're going for a regular smoothie it's a great tool to have!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I have a breville ikon, thought it was the best blender I had ever used. It does everything and makes great shakes. Then I started seeing the vitamix in action. There is absolutely no comparisson. You would think a blender is a blender, but somehow the vitamix is just flat out amazing. Using fresh berries and get some tiny seeds in your teeth? Not with a vitamix! Even blackberry and raspberry seeds are completely obliterated. Not to mention hot soups from fresh veggies! Spend the money, you will use it every day and never look back.

I also had the Breville Ikon blender and thought it was the best thing out ther for 1/2 the price of the Vitamix. I am a very heavy user of the blender, at least twice a day every day. A week after the warranty was up it stopped working. Good think I bought it at Bed Bath and Beyond and kept my receipt. I went there to check other blenders out and when the manager asked me what I had before and I told him, he said: Breville is one of the best ones out there and should had lasted longer, bring it back and we will give you your money back or exchange for anything else you want. I did that, and use the money to buy a real blender from Costco: the Vitamix!! Double the price but well worthy. It is also made in Ohio so you are supporting US production!

P.S: I have other Breville appliances (citrus juicer and regular juicer) and I still think it is one of the best brands out there. Vitamix just smokes the competition away.
  • chenoamac
    chenoamac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i love my magic bullet I acutally have 2 of them

one at home and one in the office
  • dizzielizzie99
    dizzielizzie99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I to hated cleaning the blender until I got a kitchen aid blender and the directions said to clean you just add water and soap and then blend it. Rinse it out and voila effortlessly clean. Love my kitchen aid, I was able to find a great sale on it and a stand mixer.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I too have a vitamix! Love it
  • ShanniLee
    ShanniLee Posts: 69
    Options
    i love my magic bullet I acutally have 2 of them

one at home and one in the office

LOVE my magic bullet also!!!! So quick, easy and NO CLEAN UP!!!!!!!!
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i own a vitamix. it is the most amazing thing ive ever purchased.

^^ AGREE a 1000 times over
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I have one from Wal-mart that cost me $15, it works just fine.
  • mcott1012
    mcott1012 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Magic Bullet baby!! Makes the smoothy right in your own cup! It's great for portion control.
  • BeautyCrys
    BeautyCrys Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap little pink one at Target it was $14.99 I think it's made by Hamilton, and it works great!!!!!!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    The vitamix is amazing. No lie. But it may cost you your right leg.

I have a kitchen aid, and it's great. I bought the Ninja and used it once. I thought it sucked...