Thoughts On Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are banned lifts for the gym, because its a "lunk" lift. Squats are allowed, but only on the Smith Machine or with dumb bells.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I love my PF. There are plenty of cardio machines, strength training machines and lots of free weights. It's clean and well maintained. The folks are nice that work there, they greet me by name every time I come in (I am there 7 days a week and have been a member for almost 3 years). Maybe some of the PF are starter gyms and mine isn't a huge body building gym, but the guys working in the free weights areas seem to be happy. And you can't beat $10 per month!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are banned lifts for the gym, because its a "lunk" lift. Squats are allowed, but only on the Smith Machine or with dumb bells.

Ummm, not at my gym.

You all might want to understand that PF is a franchise. Each one is run differently.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if you physically exert yourself...really push yourself....you're going to let out some sort of noise. Its involuntary, and in many cases is good for you. Telling someone not to make a noise while lifting weights is like telling someone not to moan during sex.

But its not about grunting. Its about how Plant Fitness portrays physically fit people as idiots. Watch any of their commercials and they tout muscular individuals as "lunks" and essentially makes fun of them....which they claim not to be judgemental.
    THIS. I bust my *kitten* in the gym and if an "alarm" is sounded off because I grunt, I would think that whoever pushed the button just doesn't have the same desire that I have. Yes, we have different goals, but why would my grunting effect someone (I don't grunt that loud) to the point that they have to announce to others? Put an IPOD on.
    Good thing I don't pay for gym (haven't had to for 20 years).

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    if you want to gain strength, PF is not the place to go. machines won't get you anywhere.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Too much restriction on real lifting. Forget it.
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness. It is cheap and with the $10 membership - no contract. Plus I like their hours and it is close to home. I didn't need classes at my gym since I also work out from home and love that too. The only reason I did the Black Gold membership for $20 is that I travel alot and wanted the option of going to Planet Fitness in other areas. However, now that I did that, I realize that most places that I go to, I either walk outside or use the gym in the hotel if I'm staying in a hotel. I will probably switch to the $10 one soon. But I like that everywhere that I go that have a Planet Fitness are the same - well-kept, lots of exercise equipment and great staff! No matter what time I go or how busy it is, I'm always able to get to any of the equipment I want. I don't go for strength training though, I lift at home and that works for me. But there are men and women with GREAT bodies that lift there and they seem to be fine with it. They also do dead lifts. They only sound the alarm at the PFs that I go to when folks are dropping weights which is a no-no at most gyms that I've been to. PF is just an alternative that I like to have for now.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Any judgment-free zone with a "lunk alarm" is not a "judgment-free zone".

Also, no deadlifts? Might as well go to Curves.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I liked it when I went. Never made it to the free weight side though. I found it to be extra friendly.
  • cindycoley19
    cindycoley19 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have had a membership now for a year and absolutely love going. All types of people go of all ages, shapes and sizes. You don't feel out of place. It's very user friendly. If you need the pool and exercise classes, you won't find that at Planet Fitness!! It's always very clean and the machines are well maintained. Good luck!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    It does not have what I want.
  • dleesh1
    dleesh1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Give it a try I think you will love it.
  • TurtleCrush
    Options
    I started PF March 1st. The start up fee was $10.34 which was the only thing I paid when I joined and the $21.34 (Black card member) I find EXTREMELY reasonable. I get to use the massage chair as much as I want, tan all I want and being able to bring one person in with me EVERY time I go. Its like getting my husband in free. Also if I am out of town I can use a PF black card 10 times a month at any other location. They have all the same machines I have used in The YMCA ($45 a month per single person) and Anytime Fitness($35 a month per single person) and Gold's gym(Starting at $39 per single person). I like them by far the best. When I bring in a guest they don't get hassled like the other ones do. My guests don't get nagged for an hour with membership prices and a private tour. They have a 30 minute circuit training which I LOVE! You have to see for yourself, do a free trial membership for each one to see which one best fits your health and fitness goals.
    Good luck, Big hugs,
    Rebekah
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    if you want to gain strength, PF is not the place to go. machines won't get you anywhere.

Really, machines are no good? How so? (not meant in a snarky way, just genuinely curious as I am fairly new to strength training). Right now I do a mixture of free weights and machines.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I use planet fitness for the days I am not with my trainer in a home gym. it is great for cardio and the 30 min circuit was a great starting point for my weight loss journey. Somebody hit the nail on the head when they said each location is a franchise and has different equipment. My location has squat racks and plenty of barbells to do whatever you want (not smith machines). I regularly squat and perform deadlifts with no issue. I also travel to other locations as well. I am not a black card member and have never been asked to pay extra or anything of the sort. Perhaps saying less is more. I just say hello and that I am visiting from another gym, they let me right in.
  • sheels9
    sheels9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I got to agree with a few people on here who said it depends on the one you're looking at. I've gone to a couple different PF's and not all of them have the circuits or arc trainers or personal trainers. While they do have this "lunk alarm" for dropping weights or grunting, I've never heard it go off and a friend that works at one near me said it's not even hooked up If you're into serious weight lifting it's probably not the place for you though. For me, it's all I need.
    Bottom line: if you're looking for the basics, it's a great option for a great price. Maybe you know someone with a black card that could let you come try it out and see if it's right for you.
  • trmecham
    trmecham Posts: 53
    Options
    I can't imagine going for a personal best on the deadlift and not making noise. On the other hand, it does get old watching guys screaming at each other when they're doing reps of 12.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

Really, machines are no good? How so? (not meant in a snarky way, just genuinely curious as I am fairly new to strength training). Right now I do a mixture of free weights and machines.

machines restrict your range of motion and isolate muscles. if you want real strength gains you need to do compound lifts (squats, deads, etc) that engage a range and balance of muscle groups. you are more likely to get injured with a machine that forces you into its range of motion.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    machines restrict your range of motion and isolate muscles. if you want real strength gains you need to do compound lifts (squats, deads, etc) that engage a range and balance of muscle groups. you are more likely to get injured with a machine that forces you into its range of motion.

^^^ +1
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

^^^ +1

Thanks for the input I'll keep that in mind :smile: It makes me sad though because I thought I was doing something good. I really want to change my body shape and get stronger. Maybe I'll just go completely to free weights.