Post Work-Out Hunger.

Options
haaaleyx
haaaleyx Posts: 83 Member
After I exercise I'm SUPER hungry, I can hardly wait to get out of the shower so I can go make my lunch. Any ideas how to be not so hungry after a workout session ? I know it's natural to be hungry because you just used up a lot of energy and your body needs to be refueled, but when I get really hungry like that I tend to eat more than I normally would if I was just "normal" hungry I guess you could call it.

Replies

• littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm noticing this problem also. I try to drink a lot of water before eating anything to see if that helps. Otherwise like you said, I tend to want to eat more than normal.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Plan your workout and your meals/snacks so that you eat more before your workout.... that's what I have to do, otherwise I'm a mess after.
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    When I get that way I grab a Gatorade or powerade (the ones with less calories) They help with hunger and with post workout recovery.
  • work4it777
    Options
    I am never hungry after working out...I know the window for refuel is about an hour...but I need to wait 30-45 minutes before I can eat...
  • haaaleyx
    Options
    I'm noticing this problem also. I try to drink a lot of water before eating anything to see if that helps. Otherwise like you said, I tend to want to eat more than normal.

That's a good idea, I'll do that before I get in the shower that way it has time to "fill me up some" before I go make my lunch.
    Plan your workout and your meals/snacks so that you eat more before your workout.... that's what I have to do, otherwise I'm a mess after.

and I would do that, but I notice I get that cramp in your side more often if I eat a good amount of food before working out.
  • mrosem87
    mrosem87 Posts: 31
    Options
    I was the same way. What works for me is eating 2 hours before working out. Then after my workout, I make a protein smoothie with chocolate whey protein powder, half a banana, reduced fat peanut butter, and non-fat milk. It fills me up and it's less 200cal. It's satiates my post-workout hunger pangs and tastes great, too. =)
  • haaaleyx
    Options
    I was the same way. What works for me is eating 2 hours before working out. Then after my workout, I make a protein smoothie with chocolate whey protein powder, half a banana, reduced fat peanut butter, and non-fat milk. It fills me up and it's less 200cal. It's satiates my post-workout hunger pangs and tastes great, too. =)

oooh that sounds really good. I really need to invest in a blender.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no help here. I'm starving after I workout hard. I just eat!!
  • cheyniemama
    Options
    This happens to me too...I grab a light string cheese or a handful of trail mix (or another protein food that is super quick) before the shower, and then it is mellowed out by the time I get out, so I make good choices after that...not desperate starved choices, lol
  • derposaurus
    derposaurus Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I always have this problem when I don't eat before I work out.

It's very important to eat before you work out. But not too soon before, you don't wanna get a cramp. I usually give it at least an hour between eating and working out.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I eat something.
  • mrosem87
    mrosem87 Posts: 31
    Options
    haaaleyx, I got mine for less than $25 at Target. It's nothing fancy but it does the job! =)
  • neddoh
    neddoh Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Eat half of a protein bar or something like that before you work out and then always have something high in protein afterwards.
  • haaaleyx
    Options
    haaaleyx, I got mine for less than $25 at Target. It's nothing fancy but it does the job! =)

Yeah as long as it blends, I'm happy, ahah thanks ! I'm finally starting a new job Monday, so hopefully I'll be able to go out and get one soon.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I always either eat dinner right after I work out or I have a granola bar. That normally helps a lot.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    yep i am now eating more since exercising! The exercise obviously gets your body and metabolism going and you need to fuel your body to keep going.. But post workout, I eat so so so much food it isnt funny haha
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Just plan your meals around your workouts.

There is nothing wrong with having a large meal after working out. I eat half of my daily calories right after strength training work outs.
  • butterflygurl89
    Options

That's a good idea, I'll do that before I get in the shower that way it has time to "fill me up some" before I go make my lunch.

and I would do that, but I notice I get that cramp in your side more often if I eat a good amount of food before working out.

I get the same way with stomach issues, but what I've noticed is that if I have something small, like an apple or a banana or something like 10-15 minutes before my work-out that I don't get that way. and I can't recall ever being suuuuper hungry after a work-out, either. So maybe it works? haha.
    I have to try that banana smoothie, though. It sounds like a less calorie-vicious version of a jamba juice "peanut butter moo'd". My faaaavorite drink ever!!!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I just eat. As long as I stay within my caloric limits, if I'm super hungry, I eat like a champ!
  • skichick1968
    Options
    Protein, protein, protein! Sports drinks are just sugar, your body is still burning, so fuel it with protein to get you by until you can eat.