Most hated exercises (personal trainer induced)

Options

Replies

• Pebbles536
    Pebbles536 Posts: 199
    Options
    Bear crawls! Ugh! Nothing quite like having your a%% in the air with a sweat smiley for all to see. No Thanks!
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Burpees and Mountain Climbers certainly rank high on the list. But I think my least favorite is either a basic lunge, or planking. Lunges kill me in that I have no balance really anymore and my legs haven't gotten built to hold my weight well yet that way. Planking kills my core for like 3 days haha.

But they all feel good in the long run :)

Haha I LOVE planking, one leg up or with one hand are my favorites :)
  • CareyGay
    CareyGay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of hated exercises. Mostly ones that I feel that I can't do.

Until this week, I wouldn't even try lunges or push ups. I've always had balance issues with lunges, plus I had 2 inches of bone cut out of my right femur so my knees aren't level, makes lunges hard for me. And push ups, I've never had the upper body strength to do them.

This week 'm doing Jullian Michael's 30 day shred, and I'm doing these. I've worked up to over 8 push-up, modified, at one time. But I feel so good when I've done them.I'm going to challenge myself to keep up with the push ups until I can do them unmodified.
    I also have issues with jumping jacks. big boob = big pain with them. Hoping that'll improve as I lose weight though
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Is it really necessary or even beneficial to do an exercise you hate? I've always managed to find more than adequate routines I don't despise with the possible exception of abs. Although even with abs I'll bet before long I'll find something more tolerable than the routines i do.

If you hate part of your workout, other than the initial adjustment to them, aren't you at greater risk of avoidance? Is any single exercise worth that?
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Lunges. So good for you but hard for me as I have one hip that is much weaker than the other due to an old injury so I'm always off-balance. But it's good for strengthening that damn hip.

But, really, my most hated is any kind of plyometrics like jump squats. Uggghhhhhhh, noooooooooooo! I call my trainer The Sadist.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I hate any exercise that puts strain on my knees. Lunges, squats, jumping...I avoid them completely. One reason I cancelled my contract with a trainer (money was an issue too). If I don't like doing an exercise, I won't do it.
  • MelsieK
    MelsieK Posts: 72
    Options
    Kettlebell swings. Been scared of them ever since I worked away from a PT session with nice big blisters from them. Sadly though I also look forward to them ;-)
  • leftoverprattf
    Options
    Push-ups, squats, bear crawls, slow/boring zumba, running, and cycling.

I try to do other things for my exercise ;)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    right now and ONLY right now, since I can't do them since I recently broke and (am recovering) my right wrist and sprained my right foot push-ups and standing calf raises. Otherwise, I :heart: them! I miss them, but at least I can still do my lunges!
  • wimbels
    wimbels Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Is it really necessary or even beneficial to do an exercise you hate? I've always managed to find more than adequate routines I don't despise with the possible exception of abs. Although even with abs I'll bet before long I'll find something more tolerable than the routines i do.

If you hate part of your workout, other than the initial adjustment to them, aren't you at greater risk of avoidance? Is any single exercise worth that?

Oh no, my trainer is merciless. If he knows I hate something, he pushes me to do it to prove to myself that I can, so there's zero way I can avoid it when I'm training with him. The thing is, I WANT to be good at this 10 pound jump rope thing, but I know I won't ever get there unless I keep pushing. I still hate it though. :)
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Oh no, my trainer is merciless. If he knows I hate something, he pushes me to do it to prove to myself that I can, so there's zero way I can avoid it when I'm training with him. The thing is, I WANT to be good at this 10 pound jump rope thing, but I know I won't ever get there unless I keep pushing. I still hate it though. :)

I totally agree - my trainer knows when I hate something and of course makes me do it all the time. And I have gotten better!! My list includes:
    jump pullups (the bar is toooo high for me - why can't I just stand on something to get the bar?)
    mountain climbers
    lunges with your back leg up on a bench
    the rope is a total killer, after about 5 seconds I'm shot
  • wimbels
    Options
    I have never had to do jump pull-ups yet. These sound absolutely TERRIFYING. I hope my trainer doesn't read these forums because if he heard me say I was scared of it, he'd likely have me do it in the next session hahaha
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I absolutely HATE push-ups and burpees. They're simple, and not all that difficult.. so I don't really understand where my hatred comes from.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    He has me doing something where I hold two giant ropes in my hands and make waves in the ropes. I hate it. He tells me to walk forward and backward, side to side while doing it, just to keep my mind off the fact that my arms are killing me, lol :)
  • mom2scc
    mom2scc Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    pull ups and mountain climers
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    What's a burpee? Never heard of it.
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    Burpees. I hate them. I do them, but I hate them.

BURPEES ARE PURE EVIL!!!!!
  • wimbels
    Options

This is a burpee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Dq_NCzj8M
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i hated everything my trainers made me do.... for 6 months i had two trainers, 4 days a week. talk about an a** kicking. But now I have grown to love everything, in fact, I like to push myself and see how much I can do on my own -- all those exercises and things I used to hate are now my good friends!
    I still have a trainer, but I'm down to 2 days a month!

sw 303.4 (1/1/11)
    cw 198.4 (down 105lbs)
    gw 160
    29 y/o 5'6''
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options

http://workout-of-the-day.com/how-to-do-proper-burpees/