lets ban light house cleaning from mfp

Options

Replies

• tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Wow, I bet it's fun to be YOUR friend. WTF do you care what someone else considers exercise? Frankly I NEVER clean my own house, I pay someone to do it. So those rare times when I do a deep clean I have worn my HRM and I do break a sweat. Of course I'm a fat@ss so what's strenuous and burns calories for me probably wouldn't do a thing for someone as fit and awesome as yourself.

Oh, Susie-Q. I love you. :heart: :heart:
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I've even seen "taking a shower" as calories burned! Really?

maybe they don't shower daily.....

lmao....
  • alharbour
    alharbour Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I log housecleaning and I am most certainly NOT lazy!! By the time I mop several hundred square feet of tile, shampoo 3 flights of stairs plus carpet in my 4 level home, I am sweating and burning calories. Plus the laundry is on the lowest level of my house, so I am taking my so-called lazy self up and down the stairs several times a day, every day, while lugging a large laundry basket, and sometimes lugging my 3 year old child. Do the workouts you want to do, and leave everyone else alone.
  • futurerunner
    futurerunner Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried to climb the steps of a lighthouse? Not even thinking about mopping each step as you go and scrubbing the walls! Anyone who has committed to lighthouse cleaning has undertaken a serious task and you should be ashamed for making...er...light of their work!

HAHA!! Love it!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I second that- I really do - I understand the concept that any movement helps, but my question is - was the house always a mess before the journey of weight loss started - how about the cooking and preparation of meals, really?

Any movement does help but the every day chores are every day chores.

I am going to the dark side for being judgmental... *sigh*
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    expected topic on lighthouses, was dissapointed.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If I am cleaning and working up a sweat, then I consider it exercise, especially vacuuming. I vacuum more so that I am working up a sweat...And sometimes I put on some workout music so that I can "exercise: while dusting, etc-- jogging in place,dancing around--you get the idea........... But I find that cooking is not an exercise. Sweating in the kitchen means that the kitchen is hot........
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think I am just going to ban cleaning and hire a housekeeper! Seriously though, everyone is different. For some vacuuming (did I even spell that correctly???) is an intense workout, others not so much. People need not be so judgemental of others and mind their own business.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You know, it makes more sense to MY judgmental side to actually work toward a productive goal such as getting your house clean or your clothes washed than to exercise with a DVD in front of your TV... just sayin'.

Super Like. Tho I do both exercise vids and housework.
    I saw a post like this before get deleted because some people commented and started to get really mean, calling stay at home moms lazy. Saying how logging breast feeding is stupid and counter productive, etc.

I wish people would lay off the housework log. If someone wants to log calories burned whether burned or not, it all comes down to their success. I see people lie about their food intake often. People exaggerate or diminish the calories they eat, never mind the calories burned during exercise. But hey, if they stay fat and I lose weight and I'm logging cleaning...

14839892.png
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Burning calories is burning calories. For some, it's very helpful and motivational to be able to see that even everyday activities like light housecleaning are still better than sitting around doing nothing. Knowledge is power.

It's not just "helpful." The attached link is to one of the studies proving that NEAT, or Non_Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, the calories burned while you are not doing formal exercise are MORE IMPORTANT to weight loss and improving overall fitness level than formal, planned exercise. But by all means, let's ban people who are focused on the RIGHT thing. That's helpful.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16439708

Reported in:
    Levine, J.A., Eberhardt, N.L., and Jensen, M.D., Role of Nonexercise Activity Thermogenesis in Resistance to Fat Gain in Humans. Science, 8 January 1999, pp. 212-214.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    How many calories can I burn for being judgmental?

You win a shiny new interwebz for that :flowerforyou:

Have you discussed this new interwebz with Al Gore first?
  • mrsred79
    mrsred79 Posts: 79
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks. Everyone's fitness level is different. If they want to log light house cleaning as exercise, it's a free country and I've got no problem with it.
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If I am cleaning and working up a sweat, then I consider it exercise, especially vacuuming. I vacuum more so that I am working up a sweat...And sometimes I put on some workout music so that I can "exercise: while dusting, etc-- jogging in place,dancing around--you get the idea........... But I find that cooking is not an exercise. Sweating in the kitchen means that the kitchen is hot........

big YES to this!!! ^^^^
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    But if we're gonna go ahead & start banning stuff, I would like to ban Miley Cyrus. Just you know, because I want to. :devil:
  • leogirl724
    Options
    How many calories can I burn for being judgmental?
    ~Like~

I work out 5-6 days a week on my ski machine, zumba, yoga. whatever...but
    on the days when my husband is off work...it hurts his feelings to see me working out...
    so I consider my laundry, sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, and cooking to be a bit of a burn....

I am far from lazy
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I think that if you've got the time and stamina to clean a lighthouse you deserve the calories.

Lots of Love
    Aperture_Science
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried to climb the steps of a lighthouse? Not even thinking about mopping each step as you go and scrubbing the walls! Anyone who has committed to lighthouse cleaning has undertaken a serious task and you should be ashamed for making...er...light of their work!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with you! I'm 67 years old and I belong to the gym also. I'm not lazy ay all! I work hard in my big home and do garden and yard work. I don't understand why it concerns you what I'm doing!

Nina
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I've even seen "taking a shower" as calories burned! Really?

maybe they don't shower daily.....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    ...and here's how you can claim it.

She puts in a french maid outfit and high heels.
    Grabs the vacuum
    Starts to vacuum "vigorously".
    :cue brown chicken brown cow: music

Have you been talking to my hubby?
    I just copied what I saw on youtube. By the way? You are a terrible at vacuuming.
This discussion has been closed.