THE TAPE MEASURE

Options
How many of you are actually using the tape measure and how often do you do it?

I get the feeling that a lot of you aren't using it and I think that is a HUGE mistake. The scale can be your worst enemy at times on this journey. Everyone complains that they haven't lost any weight and they get so discouraged.

So....grab a tape and get to it!! :drinker:

Replies

• lettuceb
    lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I use it about every 1-2 weeks and it is encouraging! People don't realize how fast your body can change.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I need to get one for actually measuring PEOPLE. :laugh: :bigsmile: :laugh: For some reason, I can't find any of my sewing/seamstress tape measures.... I've been using a construction/building tape measure and just don't feel like it's accurate.... metal just doesn't conform to curves like a soft measure does.... :grumble: When it turnes into a square when I'm measuring my waist, there's just SOMETHING wrong with that. :tongue: :laugh:
  • KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    I agree! After seeing the scale go up 3 pounds I decided to get the tape measure out and discovered I lost a total of 11 inches!!! We get so hard on our selves about not seeing the scale go down and forget that losing inches is great too! Also remember to pay attention to your clothes too. I tried a pair of pants on I hadn't worn because they were getting tight I put them on today and they were lose even my co-workers asked if I was losing weight since my pants were baggy! It would be great if they had a ticker for inches lost. Have a great day everyone!!
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I've lost 28lbs but when I measure the only place I've lost inches is my neck!!
    Everything else is the same. What's up with that?
  • nightmistresskittie
    Options
    I only use the measure since I dont have a scale. Also trying to get into the military and if you are over weight requirement they use tape :)
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday but only use the measuring tape once a month. I feel I will get a better number if I do it that way. So far it has worked.
  • 21alpine
    21alpine Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi Everyone !

I find that even though all I have is a regular carpenters tape measure, if you take something flexible, like a piece of string, a rope or something similar, it works just as well. Just measure the length after you mark it with your finger with the regular tape measure, and voila!
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    When it turnes into a square when I'm measuring my waist, there's just SOMETHING wrong with that. :tongue: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    I agree! The tape measure, along with how your clothes are fitting (or bagging off of you) tells a better story than the scale!! :wink:
  • Chasabeth
    Chasabeth Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm one of those people who goes on about how I dont loose weight, but I have noticed my clothes are getting baggy, so I went out and got a tape measure today to do that instead - Fingers crossed!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I check my measurements every morning. lol
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    I measure every month now. It is a must!!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I haven't measured yet. I do have some measurements from a while back :tongue:

I'm using my belt as a measure. I had to add an extra hole, which I started using the last 2 weeks, and by next 2 weeks I might have to add another hole
  • betheranne
    betheranne Posts: 44
    Options
    I took my measurements for the first time last week Monday.

I'm planning to take them again this Monday.

I have not entered them here, but I should.
  • GrnEyz80
    GrnEyz80 Posts: 121
    Options
    I need to get one for actually measuring PEOPLE. :laugh: :bigsmile: :laugh: For some reason, I can't find any of my sewing/seamstress tape measures.... I've been using a construction/building tape measure and just don't feel like it's accurate.... metal just doesn't conform to curves like a soft measure does.... :grumble: When it turnes into a square when I'm measuring my waist, there's just SOMETHING wrong with that. :tongue: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Too funny!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I measure myself every two weeks. I was doing once a week, but results are so small in that amount of time and I suck at reading anything less than 1/4" increments :laugh: :laugh: Every two weeks seems much better for me.
    I do weigh myself a lot though... I have fun with it though, like how much weight I lose when I use the restroom.... weighing my cats, my bf, family, etc. rofl I'm a dork.
  • baughana
    baughana Posts: 10
    Options
    Great idea! I need get my measurements taken. Does anyone watch the show called Bulging Brides? They calculate weight loss and measurements and these brides have to lose inches to fit into their wedding dress in time for the big day. Of course on the show they always fit into their dress and lose what they need within 6 weeks. But I find the show encouraging.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Welp, I gots meself a people-measuring-tape-measure. (see above) :drinker: My building/construction one has been relegated to the toolbox cuz it's too "hip to be square" :grumble:

I measured this morning, only I don't know if I've REALLY lost what my new one says I've lost.... because of the problems of the old one. :tongue:

I think I will measure every week. I know THIS week is accurate!

When people say they've lost X inches, what are they calculating? The sum lost of all parts measured, or their waist/certain other places?

Where do most people measure?
  • pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    I :heart: myotape. I measure once/week.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but I measure my bust, waist, hips, and thighs. (just started recently because I couldn't find my tape measure)