I need 163 grams of protein

Options
2»

Replies

• jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Try a good whey protein powder. Holy cow that is high though. Mine is set at 100grams and I have a hard time hitting that. I am eating 1750 cals per day. I found a good chocolate peanut butter powder with 26 grams per scoop. I cant remember the name but its in my diary if you want to take a look.
  • mluchies
    mluchies Posts: 26
    Options
    Hello! I am consuming mass amounts of protein every day, around your 160. Check out my diary entries. I would suggest that you start and end your days with lean protein (Jillian's protein is healthy and free of a lot of crap that other protein drinks have). I go with Carbmaster yogurts and lean meats. Good luck!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    That's about what my protein goal is for the day. It definitely takes some planning to reach. Your best bet is lean meat protein, especially chicken. I get so tired of eating it, lol.

Lately, I've tried fitting in whey protein where I can. In addition to a daily protein shake, I mix it in with other things. This morning for breakfast I had an Oikos Vanilla Greek Yogurt, with 2 tbsp of peanut butter and a 1/4 scoop of vanilla whey. The whey definitely "beefed" up the protein, but didn't overpower the flavor since it was only a 1/4 scoop.

345 calories with 27 grams of protein and only 30 carbs.
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Where did your trainer get their nutrition training? 163 grams is awfully high (at 4 calories per gram is 652 calories of protein). The amino acids of interest for repairing/building muscle are leucine (particularly this one), isoleucine and valine. Interestingly, soybeans have the highest proportions of leucine, even more than than red meat, poultry and eggs. Maybe snacking on edamame would help you out, if you are interested in sticking to unmanufactured food. Recent research has highlighted that 20 - 25% of daily calories from protein is more than sufficient to retain lean body mass while cutting fat (25% of 2000 calories a day is 500 calories, at 4 calories per gram is 125 grams). Even training hard at an athletic level the protein recs are around1.7 grams per KILO (2.2 lbs) of body weight. So......150 lbs is 68 kg at 1.7 grams per kilo is 117 grams of protein.:smile:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I aim for 30% of my calories to be from protein. For me, that is right around 100g (also works out to be between .8 and 1g per lean bodymass).

Chicken
    Protein bar (think thin is all natural, no sugar)
    Turkey
    Ham
    Shrimp
    Eggs
    Almonds
    Peanut Butter
    Ezekiel Bread
    Greek yogurt
    Edamame nuts
    Feta Cheese
    Fat Free Cheese of all kinds
    Skim Milk

If all else fails and I am still short, I toss a packet of Protein2Go in a bottle of water (50kc, 10g protein).
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Hey guys-

My trainer has set my protein goal to reach 163 grams daily. I need help getting to that. I am working out 5-6 days per week, logging in my foods...Losing weight and inches, but not as quick as I would have hoped. I am open to any suggestions...my diary for food and exercise is open.
    Thanks!

Are you only weight traiing twice a week? It sounds like you're trainer has got you on a cutting diet. I think realistically for weight loss you're protein should be about 30% of your calories not just a number of grams. with a plan for 1400 caloies would be 105g. Too much protein can cause constipation from dehydration.

here's an article you might find interesting:

"medical research shows that consuming too much protein -- more than 30% of your total daily caloric intake -- could actually harm your body, says protein expert Gail Butterfield, PhD, RD, director of Nutrition Studies at the Palo Alto Veterans' Administration Medical Center and nutrition lecturer at Stanford University.

She says that a diet containing excess protein can have the following adverse effects:

Adding more protein but not more calories or exercise to your diet won't help you build more muscle mass, but it may put your other bodily systems under stress.
    Eating more protein and increasing total caloric intake while maintaining the same exercise level will build an equal amount of additional fat and muscle mass, according to a study published in 1992 in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.

So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    Just remember that you body needs water to metabolize protein. If you aren't ingesting enough water, it will dehydrate you to metabolize it. I have not found a good correlation between oz of water per gram of protein so just go by urine color.

P.S. I take about 50 grams of protein per meal for a total of 250 per day. My breakfast is a protein shake. My before and after workout meals are protein supplement meals. The protein in my lunch and dinner are from real food. My diary is open but I will caution that it is very boring. I lift heavy 3 time per week and cardio train for 40 minutes twice a week. I eat 2200 calories each day and have been losing about 2-3 lbs per week.
  • rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of protein -usually at least 130 grams daily. Feel free to check out my diary for ideas.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Where did your trainer get their nutrition training? 163 grams is awfully high (at 4 calories per gram is 652 calories of protein). The amino acids of interest for repairing/building muscle are leucine (particularly this one), isoleucine and valine. Interestingly, soybeans have the highest proportions of leucine, even more than than red meat, poultry and eggs. Maybe snacking on edamame would help you out, if you are interested in sticking to unmanufactured food. Recent research has highlighted that 20 - 25% of daily calories from protein is more than sufficient to retain lean body mass while cutting fat (25% of 2000 calories a day is 500 calories, at 4 calories per gram is 125 grams). Even training hard at an athletic level the protein recs are around1.7 grams per KILO (2.2 lbs) of body weight. So......150 lbs is 68 kg at 1.7 grams per kilo is 117 grams of protein.:smile:

similar studies also show that the same people on a less then 2000 calorie diet, still benefit from that same 500 calories (about 125g) of protein to maintain lean mass while cutting weight.
    basically its the same thing either way... not far off. lol

jbella99:
    High protein intake is not a ketogenic diet... it is only when carbs are reduced to the point that the body needs ketones that you enter ketosis...
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I aim for 30% of my calories to be from protein. For me, that is right around 100g (also works out to be between .8 and 1g per lean bodymass).

Chicken
    Turkey
    Ham
    Shrimp
    Eggs
    Almonds
    Peanut Butter
    Ezekiel Bread
    Greek yogurt
    Edamame nuts
    Feta Cheese
    Skim Milk

If all else fails and I am still short, I toss a packet of Protein2Go in a bottle of water (50kc, 10g protein).

I left Tuna off my list, probably because I can't stand it. But it's very high in protein!
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options

similar studies also show that the same people on a less then 2000 calorie diet, still benefit from that same 500 calories (about 125g) of protein to maintain lean mass while cutting weight.
    basically its the same thing either way... not far off. lol

jbella99:
    High protein intake is not a ketogenic diet... it is only when carbs are reduced to the point that the body needs ketones that you enter ketosis...

It looks like we said the same thing:) I still think that 163g is high and I would say that if it's a hardship for a person who is interested in losing weight, maintaining health and generally enjoying life to get that much protein in their diet, don't bother 100-125grams is plenty. Getting on stage flexing recently defined muscles, with a tan and a skimpy bikini is an entirely different goal lol
  • MrDude_1
    Options

It looks like we said the same thing:) I still think that 163g is high and I would say that if it's a hardship for a person who is interested in losing weight, maintaining health and generally enjoying life to get that much protein in their diet, don't bother 100-125grams is plenty. Getting on stage flexing recently defined muscles, with a tan and a skimpy bikini is an entirely different goal lol

once more what people tend to forget is a diet can be a short term thing and not be bad.
    It takes more work to CHANGE your body then to maintain it in the state it is currently in.
    If someone wants to put excessive work and is willing to endure minor hardships to change faster.. more power to them.
    It doesnt mean that they have to maintain this "hardship" lifestyle indefinitely.

and as for your last sentance... while almost no one here is interested in getting on a stage, id venture to say most women here would love to be toned with a tan and skimpy bikini... lol.
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My goal is 350 g (goal not achievement) Whey Shakes+Tuna+Meat(just about any)+yogurt.

There was some actor on Conan the other night that said he gained 17 lbs of lean muscle mass for a role but blending chicken breasts and drinking them. I have not tried that extreme yet but wonder how it would taste.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    My goal is 350 g (goal not achievement) Whey Shakes+Tuna+Meat(just about any)+yogurt.

There was some actor on Conan the other night that said he gained 17 lbs of lean muscle mass for a role but blending chicken breasts and drinking them. I have not tried that extreme yet but wonder how it would taste.

it probably tastes like chicken.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I appreciate them. My trainer and I work out twice a week, and I run the other days, typically skipping 1 day a week (2 if I am extremely sore). I believe she has me on a 35/45/20 ratio for carbs, protein, and fat. Calories are set at 1450.
  • acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    Options
    I actually like the white tuna. I made chicken salad today and the chicken is just too dry for my taste.
    I am on a high protein low carb, so I just mixed:

Tuna, garlic salt, onion powder, pepper, celery, and kraft mayo (little to no carbs) into a bowl and mix and just eat it next to a salad with no crackers or bread and its good for you.

Chicken
    Turkey
    Ham
    Shrimp
    Eggs
    Almonds
    Peanut Butter
    Ezekiel Bread
    Greek yogurt
    Edamame nuts
    Feta Cheese
    Skim Milk

I left Tuna off my list, probably because I can't stand it. But it's very high in protein!
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    Tuna, garlic salt, onion powder, pepper, celery, and kraft mayo (little to no carbs) into a bowl and mix and just eat it next to a salad with no crackers or bread and its good for you.

sometimes instead of mayo, I use cottage cheese.
    its awesome...