How to flavor some steamed veggies

Options
mmstgr
mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
Planning on having some steamed veg with dinner tonight (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower), but don't know what to put on them for a little flavor.

Please don't tell me to eat them plain, that just isn't going to fly in my family. We're taking babysteps.

I would usually have put butter and salt :(

Any yummy, non-fatty suggestions? :)

Replies

• Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Parmasan cheese?
  • oharabears
    Options
    Lemon pepper, lemon juice, seasoned salt, Italian seasoning, light Italian salad dressing (really good on steamed green beans!), balsamic vinegar, a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil...
  • moguline
    moguline Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Soy sauce! :)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Some salsa is a great addition to veggies, especially if you can find an all natural one. Cheese, low-fat of course. Herbs. Lemon juice.
  • LauRoxx
    LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly!
  • oharabears
    Options
    Yes! I knew there was something obvious I was forgetting! ; )
  • sweetiepaia
    sweetiepaia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love herbamare....yes its salt...but a tiny bit goes a long way

or any herb is awesome
  • neesey918
    neesey918 Posts: 11
    Options
    Lemon Pepper and Soy Sauce have sodium in them ...if you are trying to avoid that. Parmesan cheese is good
  • MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    sirachi!
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash and lemon pepper are tasty.
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    I used to avoid butter or margerine until my doctor and my dietician informed me that your body needs a certain amount of fat intake. Believe it or not they suggested unsalted butter for flavor. The margerines and soft spread "butters" are higher in fat than plain ole butter. I would use unsalted butter with Mrs Dash and or lemon pepper..
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese wedges. I had some light creamy swiss on my broccoli last night. Yum!
  • katemiddletonisawesome
    Options
    Get a spice blend - but watch your sodium intake. I like a Cajun spice blend or one of those Mrs Dash blends.

Soy sauce and parmesan cheese are the other two good options others have posted here.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with butter, salt, and pepper? It doesn't take much butter to make your veggies taste better, and fat isn't bad for you. As long as it fits into your calorie budget, and it's real food, eat what you want.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    McCormick Perfect Pinch Mediterranean Herb. Has a little sea salt. 65mg of sodium for 1/4 tsp. Or, if you like something stronger like Parmesan or Romano cheese, try the Salad Supreme. I LOVE it on meat.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Mrs.Dash table blend - it's salt free :-)
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I used to put garlic salt on everything so now I use garlic powder to flavor all my veggies and I like the taste better. I still use Land O Lakes Light Canola Butter for some veggies (it's 50 cal for a whole tablespoon and taste just like real butter). I also like lemon pepper on veggies.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    be sure to get a low salt one - soy sauce is my fav, but is mega high in salt
  • hippychickuk
    hippychickuk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with butter, salt, and pepper? It doesn't take much butter to make your veggies taste better, and fat isn't bad for you. As long as it fits into your calorie budget, and it's real food, eat what you want.

this
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I usually cook them with a tad of olive oil, garlic powder, a splash of lemon juice and fresh cracked pepper.