How to flavor some steamed veggies

Options

Replies

• carebears1973
    carebears1973 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Soya sauce is great, I use it to 'fry' mushrooms too. Put a little water in the base of a frying pan and sprinkle soya sauce on the mushrooms. They taste like they've been fried!

Put a Vegetable stock cube in the water if you are boiling the veg and it gives flavour to the veg, or after cooking put some fresh coriander or parsley/basil on the veg.
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I use butter buds or Molly McButter.
  • carebears1973
    carebears1973 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Once you get used to eating veg without sauces and butter, they are quite tasty. I eat jacket potatoes on their own now wihout butter, salt or anything on them and they taste really nice. This time a few months ago, I would have thought the idea was gross! x
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    There's a seasoning called Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt that makes EVERYTHING taste awesome! I also love Onion Mrs. Dash. Either of these with a little of the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray are really good.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    HIGHLY RECOMEND
    Gia Russo balsamic glaze.
    30 calories / TBS
    hard to find
    Taste great on salad, veggies, meat everything.
    Sweet, sticky, nutty.

Make your own by slowly reducing balsamic vinegar to about 1/3 original volume.

OR

Lemon Juice

ALSO

Roasting for 10 minutes at 400 degrees is another alternative to steaming.
    Do it on aluminum foili and there is nothing to clean.
    Splurge and rub some Olive Oil on the veggies before roasting
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    I've been adding sea salt and pepper to my broccoli, and find I don't need the butter. If keeping within my fat goals wasn't an issue, I would use real butter, but I seem to be going over my fat goal provided by mfp.
  • LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    MRS> DASH! I LOVE IT!
    Carribean Citrus
    Chili lime
    lemon pepper
    italian medley

^^^^^ these are my favorites!
  • shydal
    shydal Posts: 16
    Options
    Keep it simple: fresh lemon juice makes all steamed veg sparkle and burst with deliciousness! Perhaps serve with a little feta cheese :)
  • Dammitviv
    Dammitviv Posts: 117
    Options
    I like to use Tone's Garlic and Herb seasoning. I got it in a giant container at Costco, add it to all kinds of foods. It doesn't have any salt, so you may want to add a bit if you like salt.
  • pinkpostittwirling
    Options
    Planning on having some steamed veg with dinner tonight (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower), but don't know what to put on them for a little flavor.

Please don't tell me to eat them plain, that just isn't going to fly in my family. We're taking babysteps.

I would usually have put butter and salt :(

Any yummy, non-fatty suggestions? :)

Tablespoon of Smart Balance LIGHT butter w/ sea salt and/or Newman's Own Light Sesame Ginger Viniagrette are my favs. :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with butter, salt, and pepper? It doesn't take much butter to make your veggies taste better, and fat isn't bad for you. As long as it fits into your calorie budget, and it's real food, eat what you want.

This is very true! But nutritional yeast is also yummy. Sounds weird, but I like it! :bigsmile:
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Planning on having some steamed veg with dinner tonight (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower), but don't know what to put on them for a little flavor.

Please don't tell me to eat them plain, that just isn't going to fly in my family. We're taking babysteps.

I would usually have put butter and salt :(

Any yummy, non-fatty suggestions? :)

Well, a bit of low fat hummous is GORGEOUS with broccoli. a heaped teaspoon of low fat hummous not too high in cals and it goes a long way on a few broccoli florets.
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with butter, salt, and pepper? It doesn't take much butter to make your veggies taste better, and fat isn't bad for you. As long as it fits into your calorie budget, and it's real food, eat what you want.

I can agree with this. But if you're wanting to avoid them, buy Mrs. Dash Lemon pepper. I find it interesting that people say soy sauce & parm cheese - but both are totally loaded with sodium.
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice is good but for a change of pace also try lime juice or orange juice. You can punch it up more by grating some of the zest of the fruit on as well. Finish it up with salt and pepper or Mrs Dash and you are good to go.

Another great one -- GARLIC!

Flavored vinegars are also great. I have a very light taragon flavored vinegar that I use all the time on veggies. For an asian flare try some sesame oil. It has a ton of flavor so you only need a few drops.

And don't forget that a teaspoon of olive oil or butter only has 40 calories so if is a meal for four and you can stick to that portion it is just 10 calories per person.
  • CBranson0503
    Options
    tiny bit of olive oil with some garlic poweder
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Mashed Potatoes!!! as in mixed completely into the taters hahaha that's actually how I used to eat them when I was not caring about health and smothered them so I couldnt taste or see them haha I had to say that when I saw the post title. There are some low fat/calorie cheese (cheddar or mozzarella) you can melt on it or of course the plain old olive oil or butter. There's some creamy sauces too like maybe a low calorie creamy italian dressing or non creamy italian dressing for like 25 calories if you go that way. A creamy low calorie parmesion dressing might be tasty too.
  • ac0rn
    ac0rn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just steamed a basket of tilapia and veggies last night. I sprinkled a bunch of Creole Seasoning over all of it. YUM!
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I like Molly McButter.
  • gapm
    gapm Posts: 48
    Options
    I found that increasing my fat in-take a little drastically reduced my craving for junky snacks.
  • lleabrooks
    lleabrooks Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! I've been trying to find a way to make veggies more enticing. I wonder what Applebees and Olive Garden do to their veggies that makes them so yummy. Anyone know?