No Carbs for a Week

Options

Replies

• TheMiddlePath
    TheMiddlePath Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Each time I have limited or done no carbs, I lose a ton of weight at first. Then after about two weeks, without changing what I eat, it all comes back and then some...

THIS!
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a "carbophobe" myself........
  • runnerwithin
    Options
    you can still function, but your brain takes its energy soley from carbs in the glycogen that is stored in your liver. You body uses carbohydrates as the primary form of energy and stores some as glycogen in your muscles for use during 'fight or flight' or exercise. So by reducing your carbohydrates you are also going to deplete the stores of energy your body uses for exercise. yes you will lose weight, but no carbs is not a sustainable lifestyle change and will most likely result in over eating and weight gain long term.
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Each time I have limited or done no carbs, I lose a ton of weight at first. Then after about two weeks, without changing what I eat, it all comes back and then some...

this - don't do it - lose weight safely and with good eating habits.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a low carb lifestyle for a multitude of reasons. However, I'd never cut out all carbs. If I were you, I'd just lower them. Think of it this way. That weigh in might look fantastic, but the moment you begin eating carbs again, the next weigh in will be horrible. Also keep in mind, if you're all bound up in the BM department, you could hold a few extra pounds and feel very bloated. I don't eat bread or pasta, but I make sure to eat veggies and beans, and they keep you regular. Eat cheese and meat all week and you're going to wish you didn't. I did that once and was in a world of hurt.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I tried it once and my body's response was the same as MissKortney's post.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options

Your brain functions solely on carbs.

OK, while I'm a carb fan, I do know no/low carbers that still have a functioning brain....

LOL. I don't always feel that way. I'm T2 diabetic. For some reason, over the last year my blood sugar readings have gotten worse so I tried to low carb (20 grams a day). Since I'm a full time student that just didn't go over too well, my brain couldn't keep up with homework. Now that I'm on a higher low carb (50-75 grams a day) I find I usually am functioning ok.

In general, I would say a healthy diet would consist of minimal refined carbs but lots of healthy carbs. Healthy carbs come from veggies, fruits, and whole grains. I also think more protein and healthy fats are essential.

To 0 carb you would pretty much have to eat nothing but fat. Eggs and some meats have a very low number of carbs. Even lots of veggies have a carb or 2.

For me to manage 50-75 grams a day I eat 1 piece of whole grain bread, one very small piece of fruit and about 1/4 c of milk per day. The rest of my carbs come from non-starchy veggies, eggs, and about 15 almonds. I honestly don't think this is the most healthy way to eat but due to my T2 I don't get much of a choice. This may be the way I have to eat for the rest of my life even once I lose the weight I want to since my weight has never affected my blood sugar.
  • Tkwild
    Tkwild Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You'll drop water weight, that will come back as soon as you reintroduce carbs
    Exactly...the main thing you're doing is depleting glycogen stores.

Exactly. No need to make yourself suffer through that to see a number on the scale that is NOT fat loss

I'm quite happy with my loss of 33lbs of glycogen stores in the last 4 months, doing low carb ;) That said, the loss in the first 2 weeks is primarily water loss, which would be put back on when you start eating carbs again - you won't lose a lot of fat unless you continue on it for longer than the 2 weeks.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    If I had no carbs I would not be able to go potty literally... Veggies and fruits are good so are whole grains and oats. If I had no carbs you would have better stay away from me because I would be crazy, cranky, insane and very moody!

Your brain needs glucose to survive and if you plan on strength train and actually build muscle carbs are needed unless you want to lift a five pound dumbbell all the time. ;)

All things in moderation. I don't believe in low crabbing long term but a cycle way of eating is a better approach.
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    Ryan Seacrest did no carbs the week of the oscars... do you really want to be like Ryan Seacrest? lol (He ended up with pancake batter//ahem i mean Kim jon ill remains all over him)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    You'll drop water weight, that will come back as soon as you reintroduce carbs
    Exactly...the main thing you're doing is depleting glycogen stores.

Exactly. No need to make yourself suffer through that to see a number on the scale that is NOT fat loss

I'm quite happy with my loss of 33lbs of glycogen stores in the last 4 months, doing low carb ;) That said, the loss in the first 2 weeks is primarily water loss, which would be put back on when you start eating carbs again - you won't lose a lot of fat unless you continue on it for longer than the 2 weeks.

Well she did say she was doing it for a week not 4 months like you :)
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Ok since no one else is going to say it I will.

The statement that your brain relies SOLELY on carbohydrates to function couldn't be further from the truth. The brain does rely on carbohydrates or even better glucose to function but if it is not present then it turns to fat storage and then protein, a primary reason that low carbohydrate lifestyles(they aren't short term diets) do not generally restrict fats or proteins.

There are people out there who can NOT metabolize carbohydrates, I am one of them, that does not mean that my brain can not function. Quite the contrary according to every test I've ever taken and my 4.0 GPA

But unless you have a medical reason to restrict them, living a no or even extremely low carb lifestyle isn't for everyone, it's hard to stick to in the world we live in today. If you really think you have a problem with carbs, do away with the unhealthy ones that offer your body nothing else in the way of nutrition and you will be surprised with how well your body responds.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    For all you folks who say low carb is not a sustainable life change, there are plenty of us who have done exactly that for medical reasons. Of course, maybe my brain just isn't functioning right without carbs. :)
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    you can still function, but your brain takes its energy soley from carbs in the glycogen that is stored in your liver. You body uses carbohydrates as the primary form of energy and stores some as glycogen in your muscles for use during 'fight or flight' or exercise. So by reducing your carbohydrates you are also going to deplete the stores of energy your body uses for exercise. yes you will lose weight, but no carbs is not a sustainable lifestyle change and will most likely result in over eating and weight gain long term.

glycogen would be depleted within 24hrs so the primary energy source for the brain would be from ketones.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I do a lower carb lifestyle.. Not NO CARB. I like it and Im not "backed up". Meats, veggies, under 50 grams of carbs... Whatever works for you I say! No carb for long periods of time is unsustainable. But as a plateu breaker or a jump start to weight loss I see it as helpful....
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    No carbs? Carbs feed the body....you may as well choose...

cbon38l.jpg
  • MamiV5
    MamiV5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am actually doing this for the first time this week simply because I am trying to detox (10 day program) It's HARDDDDD but, since I've started I've only lost 2 lbs so Its a little disappointing... but a loss is a loss and I'll take it! Good Luck and let me know how it goes!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I don't think zero carbs good idea but as long as OP is eating sufficient protein and fat she should survive the week without carbs, relying on ketones for most of her energy.
    But not necessary to zero carb just to see scale go down which may just be water weight. It could be some fat loss but there is a risk you may binge after and negate any fat loss you may have had.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    No carbs completely? that would mean no vegetables or fruits. You would eat nothing but protein for a week? I'm guessing you'd lose weight...but...I can't imagine eating nothing but meat/eggs/protein powder for a week. Just my personal bias...I like my veggies and fruits :)
    I was thinking the same thing only meat and fat b/l/d for 7 days would get pretty old
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    nope, never tried it. don't envision trying it either... i would miss my fruits and veggies.

Same here!