Got Kicked Out Of the Gym Today & Im Pissed Off!

Options

Replies

• silveryflutterby
    Options
    Isn't 24 hour fitness the gym previously used by Biggest Loser? And if I'm not mistaken, there have been episodes where the trainers visit contestants at home and go to their hometown gym and train them!!! So Bob can train someone there, but someone who isn't even a certified trainer can't help a friend...wtf?? Maybe that's why the show now has a new gym they support....I would definitely find a new gym...they don't deserve your money.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Wow...that's sad....I mean I get my husband to help me cause I do squats and he doesn't want me to hurt myself..so he always comments on my form.....
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    MANAGER TIME!!!! (I would blow up if they told me that! :explode:)

(Motto doesn't seem appropriate here :ohwell: ),
    Anna
  • jabba11
    jabba11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    FYI DO NOT say you will get a lawyer. Any company that is smart will immediately stop talking to you then unless you intend to get a lawyer. I know I have managed retail you say the word lawyer to me we are done talking. Speak to the manager, if he doesnt repsond properly ask for the corporate complaint number if he wont give it find it and tell them he wouldnt and then send something in writing.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The policy of not allowing outside trainers to work in a gym is a standard one just about everywhere. The reasons should be obvious, but if anyone wonders why, I'll be happy to explain.

In a situation where you are doing "buddy workouts" it becomes more of a gray area and subject to interpretation. If two people are working out together, doing the same exercises, or it is obvious they are doing their own routines, then it usually is OK. Or a parent working with a kid or a spouse working with a partner. In those cases, it is usually obvious that the "helper" is not a professional.

However, if it is obvious that there is instruction taking place, that one person is leading or directing the workout, or that one person is correcting the form or guiding the exercise for another, then that is usually seen as training by an outside trainer, whether there is money changing hands or not.

Obviously, not every situation is cut and dried, and not every club is going to treat each situation the same. In our facility, if it appears like it is a "friend is my trainer" situation, we will talk with them and inform them of the policy, but allow them to continue working out -- as long as the "training" stops. On a couple of occasions, if the trainer was local, the manager spoke to them and, if they had a decent background--invited them to apply for a job at our facility.

But, if they persist in engaging in "training", then the trainer will be asked to leave immediately and the member will be informed that another incident will result in immediate termination of their membership. For financial and liability reasons, you just can't have that going on in your facility, and most places I know are pretty aggressive about enforcing their policies.

Custom doesn't govern here the contract does. The contract stipulates the determining factor is compensation. What other gyms do isn't relevant here.

Sorry. I didn't realize you had a copy of the contract. I'd be curious to read all the relevant provisions, if you could post them.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The policy of not allowing outside trainers to work in a gym is a standard one just about everywhere. The reasons should be obvious, but if anyone wonders why, I'll be happy to explain.

In a situation where you are doing "buddy workouts" it becomes more of a gray area and subject to interpretation. If two people are working out together, doing the same exercises, or it is obvious they are doing their own routines, then it usually is OK. Or a parent working with a kid or a spouse working with a partner. In those cases, it is usually obvious that the "helper" is not a professional.

However, if it is obvious that there is instruction taking place, that one person is leading or directing the workout, or that one person is correcting the form or guiding the exercise for another, then that is usually seen as training by an outside trainer, whether there is money changing hands or not.

Obviously, not every situation is cut and dried, and not every club is going to treat each situation the same. In our facility, if it appears like it is a "friend is my trainer" situation, we will talk with them and inform them of the policy, but allow them to continue working out -- as long as the "training" stops. On a couple of occasions, if the trainer was local, the manager spoke to them and, if they had a decent background--invited them to apply for a job at our facility.

But, if they persist in engaging in "training", then the trainer will be asked to leave immediately and the member will be informed that another incident will result in immediate termination of their membership. For financial and liability reasons, you just can't have that going on in your facility, and most places I know are pretty aggressive about enforcing their policies.
    While all this may be correct and true, none of this was in the contract i signed. They should have made it more clearer about thier policy. I also remember signing a waiver that they are not responsible or any injuries etc..... i cant remember the exact wording. That should relieve them of any responsibility.
  • MariaChele85
    Options
    FYI DO NOT say you will get a lawyer. Any company that is smart will immediately stop talking to you then unless you intend to get a lawyer. I know I have managed retail you say the word lawyer to me we are done talking. Speak to the manager, if he doesnt repsond properly ask for the corporate complaint number if he wont give it find it and tell them he wouldnt and then send something in writing.
    Yea Im not going to let it get that far, I mean, there is a Just Fitness gym down the street that I could just move over to. Its mostly about what is in my contract.
  • MariaChele85
    Options
    They told her that she is not allowed to work with an outside trainer.

That's pretty standard for any gym, actually. I'm sorry it bothered you so much.

But he's NOT a trainer, there or at another gym, he's a friend who just happens to know what he's doing. That's ridiculous you got kicked out if their policy specifically says "for compensation," then you did nothing wrong. Definitely a chat with the manager or $$ back for sure. The gym should maybe think about hiring the friend and helping to get him certified to be a trainer since other members are interested in him if they were thinking smart business!!

This is exactly, what I would have thought. Would be very good business..

14171021.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    agree^ I've asked my friend has he considered being a certified trainer as a profession and he said no, for two main reasons. One he really does like helping people out and showing them proper form etc... thats how he learned by someone else teaching him. So now he wants to share what he knows...... Two because gyms want to pay you too little and they are sales goal driven, he hates sales. That's why he's a computer tech.

This is going to sound mean, but that's precisely why most clubs cannot allow "buddy trainers" in their facility. Your friend has no formal training, no certification, no liability insurance, zippo--except what he "learned" from someone else. Now it may very well be that he knows his stuff--but who knows? Believe me, clubs have lost lawsuits over a lot less.
    Yes , but that is my decision if i want to workout with a non certified friend. I do remember signing a waiver that 24hr is not responsible for any injuries or even death while working out in thier facility. It's totally up to me. If i break my leg or bust my *kitten*, then all i can do i cry about it and go home limping. Im just going based on the contract that i signed.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options

Custom doesn't govern here the contract does. The contract stipulates the determining factor is compensation. What other gyms do isn't relevant here.

Sorry. I didn't realize you had a copy of the contract. I'd be curious to read all the relevant provisions, if you could post them.

If you read earlier OP posts you'll see there is a provision prohibiiting outside trainers receiving compensation. That makes uncompensated trainers fully legal under the terms.

Even if the contract were to be silent, without a blanket provision prohibiting training she's in the clear legally as such activity is foreseeable. If you guys and others are prohibiting it you need to be explicit in the contract or you're vulnerable.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Happens all the time. The gym is taking a precaution to not only protect themselves financially but also in terms of liability. An unqualified person training/helping people in the gym that results in injuries could cause problems for them.

My brother was in the same situation, except that he was the "trainer". He had 3 or 4 friends doing cross fit style routines. I can see the gym's point of view on this, regardless of whether there is compensation or not.

I'm not advocating that it's right. They should have just explained the situation and asked for it to stop.

Just ask for your contract to be cancelled and get your money back.
  • MariaChele85
    Options
    Happens all the time. The gym is taking a precaution to not only protect themselves financially but also in terms of liability. An unqualified person training/helping people in the gym that results in injuries could cause problems for them.

Isnt this why I signed a waiver. To relieve them of any responsibilities?
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Bottom line OP and friend were plateauing so they started doing the same training as another friend. They started losing weight. Other members seemed interested in the routine. Personal Trainers in the gym look bad.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options

much easier to kick you out than deal with problems.
    plus the financial aspect. They would obviously rather you pay for their own trainers.

again, I'm not saying what they did was right.
  • MariaChele85
    Options

ok guys after going through 6 pages of my contract, this is what i found: Personal Training: No member may train another member for compensation. If 24 Hour
    determines that such training occurs at a 24 Hour facility, the trainer and/or trainee
    may lose their membership.

Using the 24 Hour Fitness USA, Inc. (24 Hour) facilities involves the risk of injury to you or your guest, whether you or someone else causes it. Specific
    risks vary from one activity to another and the risks range from minor injuries to major injuries, such as catastrophic injuries including death. In consideration
    of your participation in the activities offered by 24 Hour, you understand and voluntarily accept this risk and agree that 24 Hour, its officers, directors,
    employees, volunteers, agents and independent contractors will not be liable for any injury, including, without limitation, personal, bodily, or mental injury,
    economic loss or any damage to you, your spouse, guests, unborn child, or relatives resulting from any negligence of 24 Hour or anyone on 24 Hour's
    behalf or anyone using the facilities whether related to exercise or not. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold 24 Hour harmless against any liability,
    damages, defense costs, including attorneys fees, or from any other costs incurred in connection with claims for bodily injury, wrongful death or property
    damage caused by your negligence or other wrongful acts or omissions. You further agree to hold harmless, defend and indemnify 24 Hour from all
    liability, damages, defense costs, including attorneys fees, or from any other costs incurred in connection with claims for bodily injury, wrongful death or
    property damage brought by you, your guests, or minors, even if 24 Hour Fitness was negligent. Further, you understand and acknowledge that 24 Hour
    does not manufacture fitness or other equipment at its facilities, but purchases and/or leases equipment. You understand and acknowledge that 24 Hour is
    providing recreational services and may not be held liable for defective products. By signing below, you acknowledge and agree that you have read the
    foregoing and know of the nature of the activities at 24 Hour
  • MariaChele85
    Options

much easier to kick you out than deal with problems.
    plus the financial aspect. They would obviously rather you pay for their own trainers.

again, I'm not saying what they did was right.
    I know thats all they want, for me to pay their trainers:grumble:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

For your personal exercise. It doesn't give an individual a license to do whatever they want.

There may be specific issues that pertain to your particular case, so I don't want to comment too specifically on your incident. And it may be that, as was alluded earlier, they have poorly-worded contracts. Again, I can't comment on that.

What I can say is that the practice of overtly bringing in an outside "trainer" or "trainer-like" associate is not going to be allowed in most clubs. If you feel strongly against that, I would imagine you would be given the option to leave the club, regardless of whatever commitment you have (now if they have a poorly-worded contract, and they don't allow you to do it, and they refuse to let you out of the contract--that's a different story altogether).

Again, every club is different, but I don't think places have as much of a problem if it appears that you are just working out together. You can have a routine planned out ahead of time. It's the overt direction, correcting form, etc, by another person is where they are going to have problems. We have several pairs of "buddies" who work out together, and some high-school football players who lift weights together in a group of 4. They come in with their own routines, they spot each other, they sometimes help each other with a new exercise. But it's obvious that they are working as peers and each is contributing to the development and direction of the workout. So, you can figure out a way to "fake" it, and stay within the spirit of the rules.

Again, some private clubs are super aggressive about selling personal training so they might even take offense at that-in which case you would probably have to switch. When you talk to the manager, after you explain your situation, it might help to ask him specifically how he you can get the support of your 'buddies" and still stay within their rules.
  • MariaChele85
    Options
    Bottom line OP and friend were plateauing so they started doing the same training as another friend. They started losing weight. Other members seemed interested in the routine. Personal Trainers in the gym look bad.
    Yup this sums it all up
  • MariaChele85
    Options

For your personal exercise. It doesn't give an individual a license to do whatever they want.

There may be specific issues that pertain to your particular case, so I don't want to comment too specifically on your incident. And it may be that, as was alluded earlier, they have poorly-worded contracts. Again, I can't comment on that.

What I can say is that the practice of overtly bringing in an outside "trainer" or "trainer-like" associate is not going to be allowed in most clubs. If you feel strongly against that, I would imagine you would be given the option to leave the club, regardless of whatever commitment you have (now if they have a poorly-worded contract, and they don't allow you to do it, and they refuse to let you out of the contract--that's a different story altogether).

Again, every club is different, but I don't think places have as much of a problem if it appears that you are just working out together. You can have a routine planned out ahead of time. It's the overt direction, correcting form, etc, by another person is where they are going to have problems. We have several pairs of "buddies" who work out together, and some high-school football players who lift weights together in a group of 4. They come in with their own routines, they spot each other, they sometimes help each other with a new exercise. But it's obvious that they are working as peers and each is contributing to the development and direction of the workout. So, you can figure out a way to "fake" it, and stay within the spirit of the rules.

Again, some private clubs are super aggressive about selling personal training so they might even take offense at that-in which case you would probably have to switch. When you talk to the manager, after you explain your situation, it might help to ask him specifically how he you can get the support of your 'buddies" and still stay within their rules.
    Thanks for the advice, we are going to talk to the manager this weekend and see what happens.
  • stacyll
    stacyll Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    wow, i'm sorry that happened to you. they should have asked you to stop and not kicked you out if there was a question about what was going on. don't give up your gym membership if you feel like it's valuable to you. the gym is a great place and don't let one rotten apple spoil it. hopefully you can come to an amicable solution.

one question, sorry if i missed it, was your friend also doing the exercises too or just telling y'all what to do an observing? the reason i ask is because if he was observing and not doing it's a lot harder to prove you aren't "paying and outside trainer". now if he's doing everything and leading the two of you as well then it's a lot easier to just say three friends working out.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    All the major clubs do this LA, 24, Ballys.... My cousin and I were asked to leave a 24 hour fitness years ago when he was showing me proper lifting techniques. They said he was being to vocal about it and offending the trainers inside.

Hell I thought LA fitness where I go was not into that until the other night.. Not in a boxing class a couple was watching my boxing routine and they came up and asked me a few pointers and an employee heard it. A few minutes later the "manager" comes up and asks me if Im a trainer...

Yes, I am a 250 lb cardio boxing instructor.... Apparently a very unsuccessful one at that. He got the sarcasm and moved on. Though he repeated the rules about not bringing in outside instruction...

Which I thought was hilarious considering they don't even offer any boxing classes there...

I was giving them advice on hand wraps and proper hand to bag connection...