Benefits of lifting low weight / high reps

Options
My goal is to lift heavy.
As much as I can manage for 8-10 reps.

I keep getting recommendations from people (like my chiropractor) to lift less weight, and do higher reps.

what would be the benefit of light weights/more reps as opposed to lifting heavy?

Replies

• tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, low weights with high reps increases muscle endurance, but does not increase muscle. I'm no expert though and could be wrong :)

Edited for spelling :)
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, low weights with high reps increases muscle enurance, but does not increase muscle. I'm no expert though and could be wrong :)

^^ this is my impression too.
  • slporter3
    slporter3 Posts: 20
    Options
    Bump....would like to know as well.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lift heavy.
    As much as I can manage for 8-10 reps.

I keep getting recommendations from people (like my chiropractor) to lift less weight, and do higher reps.

what would be the benefit of light weights/more reps as opposed to lifting heavy?

Do you know why your chiropractor is telling you to lift lighter? If you lift heavy, your muscles will get strong, which means less knee and back pain, which means fewer trips to him.
  • Journeyingascrystal
    Options
    well Lizzy Pooh.. as you know I am in training for Figure Competition.. thats EXACTLY what they have me doing.. and I mean HIGH reps.. like 30 -50 depending on the exercise.. It is SUPPOSED to tone/lean.. allow for LONG beautiful muscles. All i know is.. I AM IN PAIN.. I never knew light weights could do this. I would say give it a try.. because I didnt feel this much action when i was lifting heavier... I'm new to it.. so i will update by month's end with before and progress pic..
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    well Lizzy Pooh.. as you know I am in training for Figure Competition.. thats EXACTLY what they have me doing.. and I mean HIGH reps.. like 30 -50 depending on the exercise.. It is SUPPOSED to tone/lean.. allow for LONG beautiful muscles. All i know is.. I AM IN PAIN.. I never knew light weights could do this. I would say give it a try.. because I didnt feel this much action when i was lifting heavier... I'm new to it.. so i will update by month's end with before and progress pic..

You can't lengthen muscles. Their size is predetermined by genetics.
  • Journeyingascrystal
    Options

i know you cant lengthen.. LMAO.. i mean they will look lean instead of bulky...
  • SandyChampWins
    SandyChampWins Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Less chance of injury!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

my opinion? if you have never lifted before and are just starting out and learning it's ideal to avoid injury.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Less chance of injury!

^ as a chiropractor, he is probably recommending lower so that you do not strain your back...

that being said, if you can handle higher weights, it will strengthen your muscles (duh) and therefore put less strain on your back on a daily basis.

edit to fix my horrendous spelling :D
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Less chance of injury!

Or you could lift with proper form and have zero chance whether lifting heavy or light
  • jcmk87
    jcmk87 Posts: 57
    Options
    Heavy weights on a low rep range = Strength
    Lighter weights on a higher rep range = Hypertrophy (Getting bigger)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    low weight high reps for lean tone muscles
    heavy weight low reps for more bulk

just depends what you are looking for.
  • Journeyingascrystal
    Options
    this is a good thread.. i think its fair to say I love low weights high reps.. and its new to my world... I definitely feel more like I hold form while lifting.. so I think you Guyses are dead on about less chance of injury.. never thought of that!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

Toning and leaning out comes from diet and cardio. Women will not get bulky from lifting heavy
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Bullpoopie.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/i-don-t-want-to-be-bulky-221294
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

i know you cant lengthen.. LMAO.. i mean they will look lean instead of bulky...

The reason alot of women give up on strength training, or never start is because they fear the "bulk" From what I've learned women CANNOT get bulky with out the help of hormone/steroid supplements. Also, women who do try lifting and see "bulky" type results need to understand that when you first start training a muscle, it retains WATER to help rebuild the "damage" you've done to it. So for the first month maybe more, your muscles may look "bulky" to you, but after some time they will stop retaining that much water, and will "lean" out.

Just wanted to put that on the thread so other women reading this topic don't get put off by the word "bulk". Bulk will not happen for you unless you're a serious bodybuilder taking something to help you out :)
  • boxingday2010
    Options

Yup I agree.
    But don't worry you will still get stronger with low weight-high rep because as you continue with let's say 10 lbs for 20 reps, that'll begin to get easier the more you lift and you'll probably want to go up in weight as it gets easier so you don't plateau.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Muscle Endurance.

Also lifting heavy doesn't create bulk in women esp in a deficit and EVEN at a surplus, ask my girl Rae. She gained 11 lbs and look tighter and leaner than she did before she start bulking.

I also never heard of figure competitors lifting low weights at high reps. They train heavy and hard to get that body.

Benefits of lifting heavy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518789-the-difference-weight-lifting-makes
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I just wish the bulking myth would just go away...urgh

Also:

Lengthening muscles and "toning"" muscles...shudders