What kind of sauce do you like for Stir Fry

Options
jessical30
jessical30 Posts: 49 Member
I wanted to get some idea's on what kind of sauce's do you like in your stir fry? Also do you get the frozen veggies or do you add fresh? I need some ideas for this weekend =)

Replies

• dwtouch4
    dwtouch4 Posts: 98
    Options
    Oyster sauce
    Hoisin Sauce
    Plum Sauce
    to name a few

I like to use fresh but frozen in convenient. Just be careful though. Never throw anything frozen into hot oil.
  • Hanablu2
    Hanablu2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Oyster sauce
    Hoisin Sauce
    Plum Sauce
    to name a few

I like to use fresh but frozen in convenient. Just be careful though. Never throw anything frozen into hot oil.

I throw frozen stuff into my stir fry all the time. I just threw frozen peas and frozen chicken into hot olive oil. I know not good oddly I thought most folks did that and just had a lid to cover quickly. Learn everyday, thanks for the tip.
  • TonyL68
    TonyL68 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I make my own, and its not very "saucy" but usually its:

A little sesame or peanut oil, for flavor (2 Tbsp)
    Light/Low Sodium soy sauce
    garlic powder
    ginger powder

If I want more liquid I add a packet of low fat, low sodium chicken broth to 1/4-1/2 cup of water and add that.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I use oyster sauce, fresh grated ginger and low sodium soy sauce.

I always use fresh vegetables, I don't buy frozen.

Karen
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I make my own sauce with
    2T Soy Sauce (Kikkoman Naturally Brewed)
    2T Rice Vinegar (Kikkoman UNSEASONED)
    1 packet Stevia in the raw.
    Chopped Scallions or Onion Powder
    Crushed Garlic or Garlic powder.

This way I control how many sugars are in it.
  • yogi_meg
    yogi_meg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump- thanks for the ideas
  • jessical30
    jessical30 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I make my own sauce with
    2T Soy Sauce (Kikkoman Naturally Brewed)
    2T Rice Vinegar (Kikkoman UNSEASONED)
    1 packet Stevia in the raw.
    Chopped Scallions or Onion Powder
    Crushed Garlic or Garlic powder.

This way I control how many sugars are in it.

This sounds great!! Thanks!!!
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I use Kikkomon " stir fry seasoning mix. It has the best flavor of anything I have tried and it is super easy! It taste great with frozen veggies or fresh. I add whatever vegetables I have on hand and don't really pay attention to the recipe on the package. I think it only calls for chicken, carrots, celery, onion,bell pepper and mushroom? Here is a link so you can see the package. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PDJHH4/ref=asc_df_B000PDJHH41926209?smid=A2XHOWDS6RAZ6X&tag=pgmp-641-97-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395109&creativeASIN=B000PDJHH4
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Try this, it is amazing
    Pepper Steak (Stir Fry)
    Calories: 235.3 • Fat: 8.9 g • Protein: 35.4 g • Carb: 11.8 g • Fiber: 1.2 g

Ingredients:

12 oz top round beef, trimmed to 1/8" fat, prime grade
    4 tsp plus 3 tbsp soy sauce
    1 tbsp rice wine
    3 tsp cornstarch
    5 tsp vegetable oil
    1 large onion, sliced into thin strips
    1 bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

Directions:

Slice meat into thin slices with the grain. Cut each strip across the grain about 1" long so you have small thin slices. Place in a bowl and add 4 tsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp of rice wine, 1 tsp cornstarch and black pepper.

In a small bowl, mix 3 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp water and 2 tsp cornstarch. Set aside.

Heat the wok on high heat. Swirl in 1 tbsp oil and add the beef spreading evenly in the wok. Cook undisturbed for 20 seconds letting the beef brown. Using a spatula, stir meat, cooking another 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Add remaining 2 tsp of oil to wok, add peppers and onions and cook about 2 minutes. Return beef to the wok, add the sauce and red pepper flakes and stir fry about 30 seconds until slightly thickened.
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    Put ya some water in that wok, throw the bamboo steamer on top...put some veggies on one rack and meat on the other ..put the lid on and steam it all at once..

Put your sauce(s) in a tiny bowl next to your plate and dip each bite :)

Don't forget to use the chop sticks.
  • Chicc
    Chicc Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Start with a tbps EVOO, saute an sliced onion, fresh garlic, add in chicken/beef if you want, then lots of cauliflour, broccoli, boc choy and top it off with peppers (I use bell and jalapeno. Then I add 1 cup water and 1 C low sodium chicken broth, basil, chilli pepper flakes and let it simmer away. So yummy and low sodium and low cal :)
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    Black Bean sauce is especially great with vegetables. Ground Bean sauce (a different thing) gives a gravy-like taste. I almost always use some sort of hot chilli sauce. Don't ignore Thai curries and fish sauce.
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    where can I buy fish sauce?
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    I use fresh and frozen, whatever's handy. Always try to keep some frozen stir fry blends on hand.

I don't buy premade sauces per se, but will use various powdered curries, curry paste, ginger, garlic (fresh or powdered), hot soy, black bean soy, chili paste, fish sauce, peanut flour... it's kinda the kitchen sink version of stir fry.

My current favorite is a yellow curry paste (can't remember the brand, but made in oregon and purchased at whole foods), a bit of hot soy, peanut flour, and sprinkled on top with simply asia sweet ginger garlic seasoning (found that at costco.)
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    re: fish sauce

any store with a good sized 'asian' section will have some version of it, otherwise an asian market.
  • LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't even use a sauce :)

We've used Szechuan Spicy Tomato (or something) in the little pouch by Blue Dragon - that's pretty good but I generally tend to do just egg noodles, a whole bag of fresh stir fry vegetables (pre prepared) and maybe a little chicken or pork
  • marygettingfit
    marygettingfit Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I make my own sauce which consists of honey, tamari, lemon juice, garlic, jalapeno, and fresh ground ginger. Really good! It's a bit spicy, a bit sweet, and a bit soy-saucy. Just right =)

Definitely always use fresh vegetables: carrots, broccoli, sugar snap peas, onions, etc. I pile the veggies on.

Serve over brown basmati rice. Then I top the whole thing with 1 oz of peanuts and some sesame seeds.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    House of Tsang Korean Teriyaki Stir-Fry Sauce (I usually add a little extra sesame oil)
    Plum Sauce
    If you don't use sesame oil, you HAVE TO GET SOME!!
  • heylatimer
    heylatimer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, soy sauce and chilli sauce.