What do you think about fruit?

Options
I find that certain fruits have higher calorie content than I would expect and also lots of sugars (though natural). I know other weight loss programs don't even count fruit/veggies (weight watchers - for example). So, what do you think about fruits? Are they worth the sugar, not so good for you? Definitely would love to hear your thoughts!

Replies

• Lissa_1234
    Options
    Yes, they are totally worth the sugar, which as you pointed out is natural sugar. They're naturally sweet, so you don't even have to add sugar when you use them in things.

I kind of have this rule of thumb where I eat fruit in the morning and veggies at night. I just have this idea that is the way it's suppose to be.

Also, not only does eating a variety of fruits and veggie help you with weight loss, but it makes your skin and hair fantastic!!!
  • hollywoodjunkie
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing too, I've been buying lots of fruit snack packs from Morrisons and for example a small snack pack of approx about 10-15 pieces of pineapple contains about 17g of sugar and my daily allowance is 37g. So today eating a small pot of yoghurt and a pineapple snack pack has made me nearly go over my daily sugar allowance. I'm confused.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I love Berries, Grapes, Clementines, Plums, Peaches, Watermellon and Cantalope. I limit Apples, Pears and never eat bananas (too carb heavy). I like to eat the most food for the least amount of calories and carbs.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love fruit but I think it's important to count it. I saw an article the other day that said Weight Watchers is now telling members to start counting fruit if they aren't losing weight. Oops!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I think they're positively delicious and should be consumed in copious amounts.

I don't worry about ingesting natural sugars and I don't monitor my carb intake. They're a better alternative than other manufactured sweets.

To me they are utterly healthy, so there's no question in my mind that they have a place in MY diet.
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    I always wonder about fruit and sugars. I try to keep my sugar count on par, but as soon as I eat a fruit or veggie it bumps way past my goal for the day...but natural sugars are ok?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing too, I've been buying lots of fruit snack packs from Morrisons and for example a small snack pack of approx about 10-15 pieces of pineapple contains about 17g of sugar and my daily allowance is 37g. So today eating a small pot of yoghurt and a pineapple snack pack has made me nearly go over my daily sugar allowance. I'm confused.

Not familiar with that particular brand but I'd suggest fresh fruits. Many of the packaged convenience portions have added sugar.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Yes they are worth the sugar. But I wouldn't overdo it. Never drink fruit juice though, always eat whole fruits.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I think they're positively delicious and should be consumed in copious amounts.

I don't worry about ingesting natural sugars and I don't monitor my carb intake. They're a better alternative than other manufactured sweets.

To me they are utterly healthy, so there's no question in my mind that they have a place in MY diet.

^This! People - fruit is natural, healthy, contains all sorts of stuff your body needs. Yes, there is fructose in fruit. But I don't think anyone ever became a diabetic or gained weight from having a few servings of fruit every day. I know that's not how I got fat......I got fat eating processed food, junk, and too many carbs without enough balance in my diet.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Humans have survived off of eating fruits and vegetables for thousands of years. Why should we stop eating them now? They are perfectly healthy, including bananas dangit! (I eat one almost every day)
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Love fruit, eat fruit and I think about fruit all the time. :smooched:

I guess I would watch the sugar content if my doctor told me to, but until then, I don't worry about it too much.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think fruit is delicious and nutritious.
  • Clarimusic00
    Clarimusic00 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I allow myself more than the daily allowance of sugar if its from a natural source (fruit) rather than candy and sweets.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I used to just eat a lot of fruit, whatever one and whenever I wanted... but I'm on the 17 day diet, so for now I'm only eating the lower sugar fruits: red grapes, apples, pears, grapefruit, oranges, berries, plums, prickly pear cactus and prunes (not all, but those are the approved ones). 2 servings a day is my limit on the diet, and I have to eat them before 2 PM. I miss my pineapple! I am looking forward to adding that in. :)

anyway-I was giving you the list of the "lower sugar" fruits in case you wanted it from a doctor's view (the 17 day diet was written by a general practitioner, family doctor).

Eat the fruit. It's entirely different than dumping sugar on cheerios. ;)
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have found when I eat fruit, my weight loss is slowed down. When I restrict my fruit intake, and focus on lean protein, veggies, and legumes, weight loss is faster.

Fruit is AMAZING for you, don't let anyone tell you different. I just stick to lemons and limes only, to flavor up my salads, fish, or poultry.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I don't really worry much about macros, so I don't care that fruit is usually high carb. I do care about my micros, and fruit is low sodium. That's a good combination for me, so I eat a good bit.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Fruit! I eat quite a bit of it every day!

Give me a banana, or an orange and I'd choose that over a piece of cake anyday.
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster that said something along the lines of unless a doctor tells you to keep your sugar down, there isn't any reason to worry about natural sugars. I always factor the fruit into my calorie count, but I never even look at my carbs. I lost 50 pounds, and I would not have been able to do it in a healthy way without tons of fruits and vegetables.
  • IZZG
    IZZG Posts: 2
    Options
    It really is just everything in moderation. With veggies you can never go wrong especially raw. I would just use moderation and focus on the fruits that are lower in sugar.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Sugar is sugar as far as your body is concerned. With fruit, you also get vitamins and minerals. With refined sugar, you get empty calories. Too much fruit, or fruit juice, will sabotage your diet. Weight Watchers suggests 2 small fruit servings per day (at least they did when I was a member.. long ago and far away). I think a fruit serving was 40-60 calories (or close) of whatever fruit you prefer.

Some people talk about refined sugar like it's poison. It's really not. It just has empty sugar calories with no nutrients. It ain't gonna kill ya!