Losing weight with PCOS

Options
I'm looking for some advice from anyone out there who has lost weight with PCOS. I've lost 16lbs since using MFP but I've started stalling now and I think my PCOS is one reason for this. I know a low GI diet is recommended but I don't really know where to start. Any help or advice appreciated.

Replies

• drop30lbs
    drop30lbs Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What is PCOS?
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I keep carbs under 50 a day, from nuts or veggies(or try to). I'm also on 1500 mg ER Metformin, and the low carb/met combo is working for me. I'm on track to lose 10 pounds a month for the past three months (have to drop 1 more pound by March 15 to make it) with the meds and the lower carb diet.
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    I've written about this a fair bit, since joining MFP. A couple of things have worked for me.

The biggest one? Cinnamon. Cinnamon is an accepted treatment for PCOS-related insulin resistance. It helps maintain better fasting glucose levels. I only gained weight with diet and exercise until I tried 3g/day of cinnamon supplements (but you can just add cinnamon to food and drinks). Literally from the day I started taking cinnmon, the weight started to fall off, at the rate one woukd expect of someone eating my diet and exercising as much as I do. But, as I said, I only gained weight until I learned about cinnamon and decided to give it a try. (...So glad I did!!!)

Since insulin is spiked most by carbohydrates and protein, eating a low GI diet is best. (I have gone over on fat many days, and still lost weight. Fat doesn't spike insulin production much.) Although I've been eating lw GI for years, I still keep a list of low GI foids, and their rank, on my fridge, just to remind me.

In addition, keeping simple carbs to a minimum is beneficial, for weight loss purposes. Simple carbs spike insulin most.

Good luck!
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What is PCOS?

polycystic ovarian syndrome
  • privatetime
    Options
    What is PCOS?

PCOS. Refers to polycystic ovarian syndrome. The main symptom is infrequent periods, along with cystic ovaries, or a thickened ovarian wall. (This can cause fertility problems in some.)

While there are an array of possible secondary symptoms linked to PCOS (incl. an adrogenizing effect, excess body hair growth, loss of head hair, large pores, oily skin, acne, and more), insulin resistance is also an unfortunate by-product. Insulin resistance means that when I eat food, my body produces more insulin than a normal person, becuse I am not as sensitive to it. I keep producing more and more insulin.

And what effect does insulin have? It triggers the body to store calories as fat. That's why insulin resistant people gain weight on even a modest diet, and why it is virtually impossibe for insulin resistant people to lose weight through diet and exercise alone. An insulin resistant person (who eats food) is pretty much always storing fat.
  • lucy2808
    lucy2808 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon???? I've never heard about this but it sounds interesting.

In relation to carbs I've been doing some research. Is it carbs I need to reduce or net carbs after fibre content is subtracted as there seems to be people in both camps on this?
  • privatetime
    Options
    Cinnamon???? I've never heard about this but it sounds interesting.

I had to do about a month of research to find this all out, and confirm sources, etc. Rather than posting all sorts of studies, here's a synopsis from the Livestrong web site:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/546844-cinnamon-for-pcos-weight-loss/
  • roadworthy
    roadworthy Posts: 130
    Options
    Wow, thanks for sharing. I will give cinnamon a try. I was diagnosed a few years ago and choose not to take medication unless I really have to. My blood sugar tests are always normal, that I am thankful for. I had a small NSV this week though. I have to attribute it to all of the exercise I have been getting as I can not think of anything else.

Usually my periods are a long ways apart, more than 30 days surely. I get such sore bloated breasts its insane. My moods are horrible and the cramping is insane. Two days ago I thought "oh no, here comes the PMS" My breats were a little bit tender. The next day I got my period??? I was feeling a tiny bit down but nothing like usual. I had not gained the usual 6-8 lbs in water. I have had no cramps this time around.
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question and thanks for all of the responses. I have PCOS as well, and have stalled for a few weeks now. I am going to try adding the cinnamon. I have been working my butt off and not losing anything is discouraging. I do feel much better with all the exercise, but still a girl would like keep losing. I keep reading calories in minus calories burned blah blah blah it is simple math blah blah blah and frankly I was starting to get frustrated at not losing for a few weeks. Here's to cinnamon! :drinker: I pray that it works for me and all of you :happy:
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I've just started a new way to try to treat my PCOS, I was taking birth control up until a week ago, but it was starting to make me feel miserable and my husband is getting a vasectomy later in the month, so I decided now was time to see if I could go without it.

I've started taking Nature's Bounty - Cinnamon Plus Chromium 1200mg, 2 supplements each morning along with my multivitamin, B Complex, and fish oil supplements. I also take a digestive supplement, Digest Gold, and that seems to be helping, too. Yesterday I added in Vitex which I heard is good for women with PCOS.

I've also ordered these two products which were recommended to me:

http://healthyimmunity.com/products/Estrosmart.asp

http://healthyimmunity.com/products/Glucosmart-for-Diabetic-Support.asp

I will not be taking the Estrosmart and the Vitex at the same time. Considering I'm not getting them for another month though I've decided to take Vitex until I can start.
  • privatetime
    Options
    Wow, thanks for sharing. I will give cinnamon a try. I was diagnosed a few years ago and choose not to take medication unless I really have to. My blood sugar tests are always normal, that I am thankful for. I had a small NSV this week though. I have to attribute it to all of the exercise I have been getting as I can not think of anything else.

Usually my periods are a long ways apart, more than 30 days surely. I get such sore bloated breasts its insane. My moods are horrible and the cramping is insane. Two days ago I thought "oh no, here comes the PMS" My breats were a little bit tender. The next day I got my period??? I was feeling a tiny bit down but nothing like usual. I had not gained the usual 6-8 lbs in water. I have had no cramps this time around.

I have never sought any kind of treatment for my PCOS, specifically. I have always had PCOS (i.e. got my first period then didn't have another one for a year), but wasn't officially dagnosed 'til about 20 years ago, or so. My doctor didn't suggest a treatment, or mention any problems other than potential fertility issues. My only PCOS symptom was inovulatory dysfunction.

I was super-thin nearly all my adult life, so I presumably wasn't insulin resistant, all those years. Then, suddenly, a few years ago, I began gaining weight for no reason. (At the same time, my periods became regular. Go figure.) Long story short, I learned about PCOS-related insulin resistance, and the likely link between both my weight gain and my inability to lose weight despite caloric deficit. I learned about various treatments, and opted for cinnamon. Since that worked like a charm for me, I haven't tried anything else. I'll soon be back to my pre-IR weight, and then have to decide if I'll lower or eliminate my cinnamon dosage, once I see how maintenance is working for me.

Exercise is believed to beneficial for PCOS-related insulin resistance, as well. But, I only gained weight with diet and exercise. It wasn't until I added a cinnamon supplement that I was finally able to lose weight through diet and exercise.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I haven't tried anything special in terms of dieting. I've heard about the cinnamon thing and I've taken cinnamon capsules in the past, but I never noticed a difference. However, I still try to season things with True Cinnamon (supposed to be higher in whatever it is that we want from the cinnamon) when I can.

I have no idea if this is specific to PCOS issues or not, but I have had some good success with focusing on keeping my fiber up. My endocrinologist recommended fiber supplements as a way to help with blood sugar and insulin levels. Typically I eat a decent amount of fiber anyway, but I tried adding Benefiber or Konsyl to my diet. I noticed a real difference in how I felt with the Benefiber. I noticed slightly less difference with the Konsyl, although that is actually the one my doctor first suggested. Also, it is a tiny bit... how would you describe it... um... NASTY. But I can choke it down anyway.

My fiber numbers were getting up close to 50g a day and I read that this was enough fiber to inhibit calcium absorption, so I cut back on the supplements, thinking that maybe with that much fiber I didn't need the supplements.

But you know what? I felt better when I was getting in the neighborhood of 50 g a day. I think it evened out my insulin levels. My metformin felt more effective... I don't know if you know what I mean by that or not... my body has gotten someone desensitized to the metformin by taking it so long. But when I was eating a very high fiber diet, I could feel it working... less thirsty, less needing to pee, more energy, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, the yucky GI side effects were greatly lessened.

I have no information to back up that this would be helpful to anyone else, but it is one of the few things I've done where I could actually feel a difference, so I wanted to mention it.

I don't know if I'm doing a low GI diet or not, but I think maybe the complex carbs I've been eating would count toward that, and I absolutely feel better with those than with simple carbs.

Maybe I should try the cinnamon capsules again.

Thanks for posting this question!!

Anyone feel free to add me as a friend. :)

Shannon
  • purplegoboom
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot to mention, I follow a gluten free diet. I am gluten intolerant, but when I started I found it seemed to help my PCOS symptoms as well. I'm also starting to cut dairy from my diet because I've noticed problems with that. This lowers the amount of carbs consumed, so that is probably why it's good for my PCOS.
  • privatetime
    Options
    I've started taking Nature's Bounty - Cinnamon Plus Chromium...

Yes! I would like to try that one, but haven't yet made the move to order it online, since I can't find it at retail, locally. I've read anecdotal accounts that the combination of cinnamon plus chromium is even more effective at improving fasting glucose levels. Doctors sometimes prescribe a chromium supplement for this issue. Once I get close to the end of my current cinnamon supply, I may try that one, just to see if it works even better than cinnamon alone.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    purplegoboom, I have had great results with Vitex!! I don't take it all the time, though. When my periods are wonky and I get breakthrough bleeding with bad PMS symptoms, but my actual period won't start... you may know what I mean... it just seems like it drags on and on, Vitex was a huge help with that.

When I was breastfeeding my kids I found that it didn't take much to disrupt my milk supply (most likely due to PCOS) but when I was having discharge for weeks on end, buy my period just wouldn't come, my doctor wanted to start me on birth control pills. I was confident that taking the pill would end my milk supply. So his midwife suggested Vitex. I don't think I've ever gotten better results from a pharmacological medicine, and certainly not an herbal one. It was instant. My period started in less than 36 hours, lasted 4 days, ended completely, and came back in 28 days as if I was normal or something. Amazing!!

Since then I take it when I feel I need it. I think it is a great alternative to birth control pills for women who are taking it to help with PMS symptoms and weird hormonal things.

Shannon
  • purplegoboom
    Options

Yes! I would like to try that one, but haven't yet made the move to order it online, since I can't find it at retail, locally. I've read anecdotal accounts that the combination of cinnamon plus chromium is even more effective at improving fasting glucose levels. Doctors sometimes prescribe a chromium supplement for this issue. Once I get close to the end of my current cinnamon supply, I may try that one, just to see if it works even better than cinnamon alone.

I found mine at GNC.
  • privatetime
    Options
    I have PCOS and I haven't tried anything special in terms of dieting. I've heard about the cinnamon thing and I've taken cinnamon capsules in the past, but I never noticed a difference.

Just FYI, I learned that the research dosages were 1-6g/day, but that many women found success at 3g. So that's what I tried first. Funny enough, my weight loss halted when I tried going down to 2g/day for a few days. I did that twice, and both times my normally predictable loss stalled. Once back at 3g, the weight loss picked right back up at the former rate.

Also FYI, most supplements are the cinnamomum cassia variety (Chinese cinnamon, I believe). True cinnamon is the cinnamomum verum variety (from Sri Lanka), and can be found in a few supplements, but is usually more expensive. Some cinnamon supplements contain varieties with no eugenol. However, I haven't read anything scientific that confirms eugenol plays a part in cinnamon's beneficial effects for PCOS-related insulin resistance. (I take the cassia variety, since that is the only kind available to me, locally, and it is working great.)
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and I've lost 54 pounds in the last 6-7 months basically just exercising 5-6 times a week and eating low GI. It's been absolutely key to me to cut out fast carbs from my diet. There are good and not so good choices to be made even when it comes to something as "healthy" as fruit when you have PCOS so it certainly complicates things but once you get into it it's okay. I am not currently on any medication for my PCOS, just trying out letting my body work its new healthy weight at the moment to see where that gets me.
  • privatetime
    Options
    I guess that was a point I was making earlier. PCOS does not automatically equal insulin resistance.

Myself, I had PCOS for decades without being insulin resistant. It just kicked-in a few years ago, evidenced by sudden weight gain and an inability to lose weight through diet and exercise. That was the tip-off I'd become insulin resistant.
  • privatetime
    Options

I found mine at GNC.

That's right! I did find a version at GNC. But, where I live, they only carry this weird kind that has just 150mg of cinnamon per capsule, with a recommended dose of two per day. That would only give me 300mg/day, and even 2,000mg/day doesn't help me with weight loss...only possibly maintenance. I need 3g/day to keep losing.

Funny enough, just yesterday I walked by an independent health food store and went in just to see if they had a decent cinn./chr. supplement. ...Nothing. Only cinnamon.