soda drinkers!!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Personally--for the most part our family no longer drinks SODA. We believe that the Diet Soda my baby sister drank for years (15+ years)--was the cause of her brain tumor. Fortunately it was benign--and after a rough recovery--had to learn to walk again.

But think again--what these drinks do to our car batteries--we pour it on them to clean off the terminals. I no longer touch the stuff.

We actually don't know if it was the artificial sweetner or the other ingredients. Either way--i try to go organic on those items--no aspartame in my house.

did you know the acid in your stomach will eat away carpet!!!! have you ever used lemon juice for cleaning I have OMG someone needs to take a stand against those dang lemons
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    An accidental overdose of soda interacted with my unique body chemistry, and now, when I grow angry or outraged, a startling metamorphosis occurs.

Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

But I like it when you are all green and bulky,totally smoking hot

HULK SMASH PUNY VIXEN!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    True, but I must admit that I was a little concerned when I found that caramel coloring was the 2nd (yes is said 2nd) ingredient on a can of diet coke. There is more caramel coloring in there than flavoring.

Yikes!
    Why is that concerning?
  • mommaof3angels00
    mommaof3angels00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I believe if we end up with cancer, that is god's trial for us and that because he only gives me what I can handle then so be it.. We received some rain coats and it states on there that may cause cancer if worn. Really if it does then why are they being sold.. Just my thoughts. I will live each day like it is my last because we never know when our mission here on earth is complete.
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    ABC News reported on this last night. They said Coke is going to be changing their recipe for the "caramel color" and removing the carcinogen. They also reported that the pink filler that is featured in Food, Inc. for McD's meat... is also in most grocery store meat. And, unless the meat is stamped USDA Organic, it probably has the filler (which is basically the leftovers melted down into a pink slime and used to be used for dog food)... so it's still animal... just not the quality expected for human consumption. MORE PANIC! ACKKKK!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/03/is-pink-slime-in-the-beef-at-your-grocery-store/

Well....I agree that the actual risk of pink slime is much lower than the panic people are fussing about, but it's more than scraps. It's treated with ammonia, that's why it's so pink, and that's why they are up in arms. I'll continue eating it, as I haven't seen convincing evidence that it's not safe, but this is why it's important to know the real science and not just read news reports.

Oh, and Coke doesn't make it's caramel color, they buy it. It is manufactured near Clinton, IA.

I was just sharing information, and yes, it is treated with ammonia. Include that in MY reasons that pink slime bothers me. I'll likely be switching to organic meat within the next hour. Icky.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Personally--for the most part our family no longer drinks SODA. We believe that the Diet Soda my baby sister drank for years (15+ years)--was the cause of her brain tumor. Fortunately it was benign--and after a rough recovery--had to learn to walk again.

But think again--what these drinks do to our car batteries--we pour it on them to clean off the terminals. I no longer touch the stuff.

Do you have evidence that the "diet soda" caused the brain tumor? Not proof, just some credible study showing a link to that particular kind of tumor, even? And do you know that a benign tumor, while a very bad thing in the brain, is not cancer, so this report has nothing to do with it?

I point this out, because, while it's a good thing to give up soda, unless there is some evidence of it's connection to the tumor, you do yourself no favors by blaming it. You could be ignoring the real cause, and placing her and all of you at risk. Imagine I don't know the suspected causes of skin cancer. I like to look good, so I go to a tanning salon each night after work. At some point, I get skin cancer. It's removed, and I figure that since I drink tons of diet soda, and I read all the reports like this one, and my sister doesn't drink any at all and she doesn't get cancer, so I "believe" the soda caused it. I quit drinking diet soda (which is good) but I keep on tanning, not so good. Now, in this case, my doctor would tell me to quit tanning, because there is a strong correlation with skin cancer. If your sister's doctor didn't tell you there was a strong correlation between her particular kind of tumor and diet soda, and did not tell her she should not drink diet soda, then you need to focus on the things known to be associated with her type of tumor.

And what makes the soda (and any soda will work) remove the corrosion from batteries is the phosphoric acid from carbonation and is unrelated caramel color. As Randall Munroe says, "Science, it WORKS, bit(#es!"
  • FitLink
    Options
    I believe if we end up with cancer, that is god's trial for us and that because he only gives me what I can handle then so be it.. We received some rain coats and it states on there that may cause cancer if worn. Really if it does then why are they being sold.. Just my thoughts. I will live each day like it is my last because we never know when our mission here on earth is complete.

Its' because California requires that label on some plastics that have trace amounts of lead. It's easier to put the label on all of them rather than make some raincoats just for California... Like the christmas tree lights...

And I couldn't believe in a god who allegedly loved me but gave me cancer, or even ALLOWED cancer. Or any of the other 1,000,000,000 tragedies in the world. I quote Epicurus:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
    Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing?
    Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing?
    Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God?”
  • everyoung
    everyoung Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Nothing is safe to eat or drink anymore, just like no where is violent free anymore. I'm not going to worry about it because I want to enjoy life instead of worry about death every minute.
  • FitLink
    Options
    In all seriousness, living on this planet as it is, can we really escape the threat of cancer? I'm pretty sure that caramel coloring in soda is low on the list of potential threats. There are potentially-cancer-causing chemicals in and on just about everything we eat, drink, breathe and touch. We spray chemicals in the air to make the house smell better, we clean with chemicals, we wash our clothes in chemicals, we eat food sprayed with chemicals. Either find a nice little unspoiled patch of land somewhere, grow your own food, and hope for the best, or accept the inevitable and enjoy a soda. :)

Not even "as it is." We will ALL get cancer if we live long enough, no matter how healthy. The only variable is how soon. Cancer is an consequence of living, like death.
  • FitLink
    Options
    What about club soda? Isn't that just fizzy water?
    The chemical we are panicking over today is only found in sodas with caramel color, so club soda is OK.

But OTHER people are panicing about phosphoric acid, which club soda DOES have. The key here is "panicking over TODAY" [emphasis mine] The risk here is imaginary. In some non-zero quantity, EVERYTHING causes cancer. Look at the actual risk. You take a bigger risk leaving your house.

What if I leave my house with a soda in my hand? What then?? (Seriously, try looking at my other posts in this thread.)

I looked at all your posts. Why does that make my post wrong? And if you leave the house with a soda in your hand you will undoubtedly die.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm screwed then. I drank about 12 diet cokes a day for about 4 years. I probably already have cancer from it. On a side note, I gave it up completely about 3 months ago and have never felt better. Much more energy and no headaches anymore. I thought I'd never be able to give it up but it was actually no problem as long as you drink a ton of water in its place.

This! This is the point. Bottom line is we all know that water is the best thing for us. Nothing good is in pop. It's better to give it up no matter what! You don't need a warning to know pop isn't good for you. Quit drinking it for one day. If you're the type of person that drinks it everyday, I guarantee you will go through headaches, fatigue, cravings, etc. That should be a sign. Personally, I was a Mt. Dew junkie. I still have one now and again but I broke the actual addiction and eventually I will swear it off FOREVER!
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    I looked at all your posts. Why does that make my post wrong?
    Because you're lecturing me about looking at the actual risk. You aren't wrong, you're just directing your energies in the wrong place.
    And if you leave the house with a soda in your hand you will undoubtedly die.
    This is true. I tried it and I am dead.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    If you're the type of person that drinks it everyday, I guarantee you will go through headaches, fatigue, cravings, etc. That should be a sign.
    Yes, it's a sign that it contains caffeine.
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda for Lent. Maybe I'll just give it up altogether!
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    In virtually any place in which a bunch of people are gathered who are interested in, and care about, health and fitness, this debate always comes up: Is diet soda bad for you or not?

The answer is, "who the hell knows." I do know this: there is no evidence that the coloring in it causes cancer in humans. In rats, perhaps. And by "rats," I mean laboratory rats who are fed enormous dosages (more than any human could possibly consume) day after day until they die. But there isn't a single shred of evidence to support the notion that an ordinary human being, drinking reasonable quantities of the stuff, will contract cancer.

Could we all do just fine without it? Sure, of course. Do some people enjoy it? Yep, and I'm one of them.

My body, my choice, right? If you choose not to drink it...well, good for you.