Has anyone cured their acid reflux?

Options
124»

Replies

• gillybumbler
    Options
    My grandson had very bad acid reflux. He started taking 2 tsp of Bragg's vinegar (health food store or some markets) He puts one tsp in a large glass of water and drinks it twice a day. His reflux is gone. I have also read comments on my fitness pal that people are also taking Bragg's before meals to loose weight. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Hope this helps

YES! It really works! It was the only thing that would stop the horrible heartburn I had when pregnant. I drank it every night. You can also add baking soda to it to make it taste way better. Google Apple cider vinegar and baking soda and the recipe will show up on the earth clinic website. Hope it helps you!!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    If you put baking soda in it, you are neutralizing the acid. The point of taking apple cider vinegar is to keep the stomach acidic, not alkaline.
    YES! It really works! It was the only thing that would stop the horrible heartburn I had when pregnant. I drank it every night. You can also add baking soda to it to make it taste way better. Google Apple cider vinegar and baking soda and the recipe will show up on the earth clinic website. Hope it helps you!!
  • Lipodestroyer
    Options
    I used to take Nexium for mine but once I cut out soda, tomatoes, citrus, fried food, and red meat I don't need the Nexium any more.
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    Mine stopped after I stopped drinking diet coke and lost some weight.
  • pearceda
    pearceda Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used to take two Zantec (150mg) a day. One in the morning and one at night. I have lost roughly 40 pounds (from 238 to 199) in just over a year and have cut out a lot of pop that I used to drink. Along with the better eating and elimination of pop, I have not taken a pill in almost two months. Even spicier foods don't seem to bother me as much now. Hope it works out for you as well!
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I was having acid reflex attacks everyday and having to take Rantidine daily for this. Now I only have to deal with this once a week at most and have PRN medications. Great minds think alike--I was wondering if anyone else had had this experience.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Since I quit drinking, smoking, and following the SAD diet, I no longer have acid reflex. Eating healthy and exercising has done the trick.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I have! I used to take prescription acid reflux medication daily. I have been off of it since losing weight. Now I only get an occasional flair up-mostly from overeating or eating spicy or salty foods.

Yep me too ^ :smile:
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who's reflux has diminished since losing weight. I wont say I'm 'cured' though, excess fat and certain spices can get niggly.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Mine is not cured, but the Nexium does a pretty good job of keeping it controlled.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Mine is not cured, but a lot better. I have the HH, so a lifetime of a proton-pump inhibitor is likely. However, I suffer a lot less than before, and feel fantastic.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Sounds crazy, but within 1 week of reducing my calories and drinking more water my night-time acid reflux was completely gone. I'm positive now that my acid reflux issues were completely dietary.

I can even eat spicy foods now and not get acid reflux at night. It's been amazing! I don't have to take acid reducers anymore.

I had acid reflux for years. I am so glad it's all gone.
  • jesseylou22
    Options
    I had it really bad for years. I even ended up in the emergency room because it was causing me so much pain. Ended up they diagnosed me with GERD and said the acid had eroded part of the flapper thing in my esophogus that goes to the stomach. That was the pain. I was on prilosec and tums and everything else in between for years, the pills made me feel awful and I still had problems. My dad introduced me to Papaya enzymes. I started out taking about 6-8 at a time every time I felt heartburn, they are chewables.. then I would take a few in between if I felt it coming back I know I took them at least 3-5 times a day like that for a while, then the heartburn became less and less frequent, so I took less and less... I took what I needed to get by. Now, I only take them once every blue moon! No heartburn, no pain, and no pills! I swear by it! It helps build digestive enzymes, and is just plain good and healing for the digestive system. You can get them at walmart or walgreen for sure. They are in a green bottle with a yellow label in the Vitamin section. Good luck! And you definitely have to take them in high doses in the beginning to see a difference and for them to build up in your system!
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Try this for a day and see if it helps. No carbonated liquids. do not drink out of a straw, no hard candy, no gum.
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Bump (i think this is a interesting topic)
  • ladyplaz
    ladyplaz Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I know that having a hiatal hernia is scary. But, I can tell everyone, I had to have the surgery to fix it. Precancerous cells and severe pain made my mind up for me. Now, no more pain. No more acid reflux. Since my surgery this past November, I have lost 37 lbs. I am watching what I eat and how much I eat. I refuse to go quietly into that good night. So, fitness, here I come.
  • Rohibelieve
    Rohibelieve Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey brandalee ......i had severe acid reflux too. And I took meds. Meds might make u dependent or make the condition worse. It's good for short term. And the best cure is red apple . Take two red apple a day and u will definitely see results within weeks. As Apple is alkali and it neutralises the acid in the stomach. Also add a little weight loss with it for a permanent cure
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% cured and completely off medication for acid reflux. I was cured BEFORE I even lost any weight. I stopped eating wheat and overall greatly reduced the cereal grains in my diet. It's AWESOME to be able to sleep in a horizontal position and not be woken up with a nose full of stomach acid in the middle of the night! Avoiding wheat is HARD and it's not going to cure everyone but it was the key for me.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread!

Losing weight and changing my eating habits definitely got rid of the acid reflux. Missjulesdid's post actually made me think that part of this may have had to do with my dairy intolerance since I was drinking coffee brandy with milk on almost nightly basis. But my food choices and amount of food had a lot to do with it as well. I still get it once in a great while but usually after having something spicy and/or greasy like pizza with meat toppings (pepperoni, sausage)
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I have severe reflux that burns my throat and affects my breathing. Has anyone with similar symptoms managed to cure (or greatly reduce) their reflux and get off of the meds after losing weight?
    I also had server acid reflex, spitting up foam, throat burns... use to throw up stomach acid ... super gross... all gone about 3 weeks after cutting out gluten.