People who go to gym 2-3 days and wonder why they don't see

Options
d2footballJRC
d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
This rant is for people who starting going to the gym for 2-3 days and wonder why they don't see a change after 2-3 days of going to the gym.

Really... I see a post like that almost on a daily basis. Each time I cringe a bit. You went to the gym for a couple days for the first time and stepped on the scale and haven't seen a huge different in weight loss. Are you kidding me? Really, you are really going to ask that question outloud? 2 - 3 days total isn't enough time to see a difference. If you do those 2-3 days consistently for a bit you will a difference.

If you work out you will see a change, it's not something that happens over night, it hakes many hours of sweat and determination to get what you want from the gym. It's well worth it, if you are questioning that after 2 days you better check your motivation as it sounds like it's got some holes in it.

There is no stupid questions, but there are questions that aren't thought out very well.

/rant off.

Replies

• sherrisloan
    sherrisloan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    So true!!!!! Couldn't of said it better myself. We don't get fat over night, and we can't get skinny or gain muscle that quick either!!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • cathie2903
    cathie2903 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    But wouldn't it be good if it did work like that :laugh:
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    maybe i am just extra grumpy, but your rant seemed to make me feel grumpier. exercise is wonderful - excellent in fact. if someone can only make it to the gym *gasp* 2-3 days a week...that is awesome! this does not mean they are not possibly, working out at home, walking, jogging, etc...

there are so many different scenarios and situations out there.

...and when it comes down to it, one's food choices/diet has a ton to do with whether or not one loses scale weight.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Or the ones who do 5 minutes of working out, 10 minutes of walking from one machine to another, another 5 minutes of talking, get a drink of water, do another 5 minutes of working out and then claim they were at the gym for 30 minutes. Drives me nuts, just stay the hell home.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I see what you are trying to imply but your diet is going to be a bigger factor in weight loss than your exercise schedule. although exercise is an important part of gaining muscle and general health.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    /rant off.

if only.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    People who can't think of anything to add to the Forums, so they add yet another Rant thread. Awesome. \m/
  • ricksnaustin
    ricksnaustin Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I go 6 days a week. But if you ONLY have 3 days you can fit in, there are ways to work out where you will see good results. It's all in how you do it. Also, you can't forget nutrition.
  • watts7787
    watts7787 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym about 3 or 4 days depending on my mood. I have seen a difference from that though. I have lost 20 lbs that way. I think then the next question they should ask themselves is how is their eating. If they don't change their eating then they won't see anything as quickly as they want. I know lots of people that haven't done any extra exercise than their normal daily activities and only changed the way they ate and lost lots of weight. So I guess the people need to do what works for them and if 2 or 3 days isn't fast enough for them, then they need to go more often.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Please stop with the absolutes.

I went to the gym 3x per week when I was losing weight last year. To blow your mind further, I didn't do any cardio.

I'll post pics of my crappy results, if you like.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    maybe i am just extra grumpy, but your rant seemed to make me feel grumpier. exercise is wonderful - excellent in fact. if someone can only make it to the gym *gasp* 2-3 days a week...that is awesome! this does not mean they are not possibly, working out at home, walking, jogging, etc...

there are so many different scenarios and situations out there.

...and when it comes down to it, one's food choices/diet has a ton to do with whether or not one loses scale weight.

No I'm talking about people who started going to the gym for 2-3 days total and wonder why they haven't seen anything change yet.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    ah. my mistake
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    People are miss reading the post.. See the part about not seeing results and getting discouraged AFTER 2 days at the gym. Not going for 2-3 days a week steadily.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Darn, I was just about to post a "I've gone to the Gym 3 times and haven't seen any results. Help!" page...

No, I think it really is tough to accept the long journey. But you need to get over it and go.

(Also, I was on the edge about wether I was going to the Gym after work today, thanks for reminding me why I'm on this site :) )
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    SOme people don't have the education in fitness to realize this. Why don't we try to support them instead of making them feel stupid for not knowing something. A lot of us have been around this block a long time. Lets give them a hug and tell them good job, keep up the hard work.. even if it is 5 min on a machine and 5 min walking around... They are there, they arn't sitting on their couch eating bowls of peanut butter ice cream while watching Biggest Loser. Sheesh give people a break.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Loved this... I think I know which recent one may have fired you up! Seriously! It's pathetic! Are some people that dumb, irrational and illogical!?
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    SOme people don't have the education in fitness to realize this. Why don't we try to support them instead of making them feel stupid for not knowing something. A lot of us have been around this block a long time. Lets give them a hug and tell them good job, keep up the hard work.. even if it is 5 min on a machine and 5 min walking around... They are there, they arn't sitting on their couch eating bowls of peanut butter ice cream while watching Biggest Loser. Sheesh give people a break.

People don't need to always be coddled, that's what has gotten some of us in the boat to start with. Sometimes the things you don't want to hear are what you need to hear. You can't expect results after 2 days.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

I'm with you on this one. A lot of people are starting this journey totally blind and are looking for help and support from this site, not to be shot down for asking questions or posting threads. There's way too much of that going on here lately. If they're wrong, tell them so and explain why. Don't go off and call them like a school kid
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options

People don't need to always be coddled, that's what has gotten some of us in the boat to start with. Sometimes the things you don't want to hear are what you need to hear. You can't expect results after 2 days.

Its not about coddling, its about getting help and feeling supported from an online support community and not made to feel stupid. I didn't say don't say it, just say it in a way that doesn't make it seem like you are above that person.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Please stop with the absolutes.

I went to the gym 3x per week when I was losing weight last year. To blow your mind further, I didn't do any cardio.

I'll post pics of my crappy results, if you like.
    Same here lol. Only difference is I ran once or twice a week because I like it. Right now i've consistantly been losing and I work out no more than 3 days a week.