1,200 calorie

Options

Replies

• Kiki91395
    Kiki91395 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have been on a 1,200 calorie limit for over a month and I feel WONDERFUL! The main things are making sure you are getting PLENTY of complex carbs like brown rice and whole wheat bread and especially my favorite steel cut oats in the morning all of these will not only provide you with bunches of energy but also keep you full so you won't be so hungry! Hope this helps add me and let me know how it goes

I've also been using 1200 as my calorie limit...i try to eat a big/filling(low cal)breakfast, and just fill up the rest with whatever....i have throughout the day,.i've been under the limit this whole week, and having headaches...I think its because i don't feel full enough, but anyway...do you have any suggestions for some filling low cal snacks/meals? Thanks :)
  • itsneverbeenbetter
    itsneverbeenbetter Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1,200. This is my second week and I feel great so far. Good luck!
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think it is a personal decision whether to stay at 1200 calories or not. For me, I was eating 1200 calories for about a month, and saw steady weight loss for the most part. I decided to up my calories when I started to feel tired. I changed my weight loss goals from 2 lbs per week to .5 lbs per week. After a week of eating more and doing light strength training, I actually lost 3 lbs.

I believe (my opinion) that I might have to change up my diet and exercise routine every few weeks in order to keep getting results.
  • Cheryl943
    Cheryl943 Posts: 83
    Options
    I saw the nutritionist with my diabetes program yesterday and she told me to reduce my calories to 1300 and not eat back my exercise calories. I have been doing 1500 and eating back most. I have lost 10 lbs in a month which I felt was good., Now I'm confused again. Am seeing my GP on Tues. and will see what she says. Good luck.
  • Cheryl943
    Cheryl943 Posts: 83
    Options
    I saw the nutritionist with my diabetes program yesterday and she told me to reduce my calories to 1300 and not eat back my exercise calories. I have been doing 1500 and eating back most. I have lost 10 lbs in a month which I felt was good., Now I'm confused again. Am seeing my GP on Tues. and will see what she says. Good luck.

5'7 225lbs
  • jmka145
    jmka145 Posts: 5
    Options
    Please remember (and I hope everyone else does too) that weight isn't everything! People do things they know they shouldn't, that they've been told not to do, and why, and explained ad nauseum, but still do it anyway because "i'd never lose weight if i ate that much...or ate that, or blah blah whatever..." You're trying to transform the energy substrates your body uses, your BODY, not just your muscles(which account for maybe 30% of your energy expenditure) Your poor heart and lungs, and there's this huge organ called the skin, ligaments, brain, oh kidneys...etc, all burn calories that you eat and use the nutrition that you bring in! How much nutrition can you get at 1200 calories a day? Never mind that, "how much weight can i lose at such and such calories so my MFP weight loss tracker will move.....???? Don't do that! That's what everyone else does, and it will lead to unsustainable habits, and a slow metabolism and weak body at best. Don't be afraid of food and eating, especially if you are working out.

I was very happy to read your comment on this topic! I totally agree with your point of view. I find it kinda scary from reading forums on here that a lot of people are too obsessive with keeping 1200 calorie a day diet because that's why they read in books or was told to do ?!? I say, everyone's different, find out what works for your body type & stick with that. Be your own advocate for your health.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

Ask them if you would benefit from Intermittent Fasting.
    Since IF will create an insulin sensitivity maybe it will help.
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    Two very important things:

First is make sure all of those 1200 calories are not empty calories. As long as they are made up of fruits, veggies, and whole grains, it will probably be sufficient.

Second is listen to your body. If your stomach is growling, drink some water. If 10-15 minutes later it is still growling, it is hungry! Do not starve yourself.

I have been doing around 1200 too for 3 weeks, and I have felt great! God bless! :)
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I just started on here and have been trying to eat less than 1200 calories because it seems like it is going to take forever to lose the weight if I eat that much.

You may lose for a while going under 1200 but you may gain weight too. Eating under 1200 is not healthy, everybody needs at least 1200. I know it may seem like it's going to take forever but if you eat less than what's healthy, you're not losing it healthily and it could be harder to keep off after that because when you bump it up to whatever your "normal" is going to be after you loose weight, it may come back.

It seems like it'll take a while but trust me, it'll be worth it to go slowly and lose it in a way that's best for your body as well as safe for you
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200/day but recently upped it to 1400. This is because I do an hour of hard core cardio per day and burn anywhere between 850-1000 calories per session. Your body needs food for energy. Although I was eating from the required food groups, my body wasn't being properly filed. Now that I've upped my caloric intake to try to be in line with my cardio burns (basically eating back some of burned calories) I was able to lose 4lbs this week. This may not be consistent, but It seems to be working for now. When it doesn't work any longer I'll try something else.

What I have found in my research is that the more you work out the more you will need to eat. After I'm done working out my body is screaming for food! If not your body will go into starvation mode and you will retain what is put into your body instead of releasing it through energy. I was scared to go past 1200 but again, it’s working! Check out my log if you want. Hope my response sheds some light on things :)

**EDIT: Prior to working out as much as I am not, I didn't feel hungry on a 1200/day diet. It was actually hard for me to even eat that much. However, this should be the minimum to eat for a more sedintary lifestyle. The more you more the more you should be eating!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If you are consistently eating about 1200 calories and you are feeling weak and cranky, your body is thinkin' "hmm.. maybe I'm never going to get a good meal again". So, then it's thinkin' "guess I'd better slow down the old metabolism, that way I won't burn up all my fuel and be left STARVING". Hence, you won't lose any weight. End of story.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've only been consistently logging in and eating 1,200 for a week. Tonight however I went over. I'm going to start again tomorrow. I was good until the 7th day and then I became very hungry, exhausted, and cranky. I'm wondering what other peoples thoughts/experiences are... thanks

That's your's body response to not getting enough food for basic functions of your body living.

don't worry, you can slow your metabolism down, and the hunger will go away, as so many comment on.

And since your metabolism slows, you burn less calories at everything. Rest, daily, exercise.

Weight loss slows down, and will eventually stall after your body reaches equilibrium.

Or, always net at/above your BMR, basic calories if you were in coma all day.
    MFP - Tools - BMR calc.

Is your BMR above 1200?
    If you suppress it to 1200 by underfeeting, how many free calories burned each day will you be missing out on?
    Say, 300? Feel like missing out on 2/3 lb weight loss per week eventually?

Based on this comment (and a few others!) I must either be a freak of nature or dead...

I stick to 1200-1250 a day, and don't eat my exercise calories back. I run 10kms and lift weights, and have got quite a good muscle build up (I have abs, great and very obvious definition in my arms, shoulders, back, legs and chest) so certainly haven't been eating my lean muscle away. I'm not starving, I eat nutritious food first and foremost - and I still manage an occasional treat. I've lost 62lbs in 10months, and during this time I've done on 5 international or interstate holidays (I'll admit I don't log during this time). Oh yeah and I've just had my thyroid (and a million other tests done) and I'm all clear. Perfectly fit and healthy were the doctors words (I only went for testing because I'm about to start work in a hospital and Australian rules dictate testing prior to working in a health care environment, I wasn't sick or anything). Oh and I'm halfway through training for a half marathon - guess I'm just getting better?!

So am I a freak, or dead? You decided.

I'm not saying what I do will work for you, but I think you should know there are other options here, rather than what the 1200 calorie haters will tell you.

Good luck with your journey. Find what works for you, then make that work well.
    Brooke

With all due respect, more anecdotals to confuse the ignorant. If you're training for a marathon on 1200 calories...well...that's your choice. I would call it a slow metabolism at best, if not metabolic damage. I would also call it ignorance. If you weight more than 90 lbs, and you're training, and eating 1200 calories a day, I'm a "1200 calorie hater" all day long. It's odd that a majority of professionals would also probably be 1200 calorie haters. Just simply people being so afraid of weight gain they are at an extreme. Common cycle. Some people run hcg at 500 calories a day and love the weight loss...again...anecdotals that "work", at the expense of what's healthy. Just remember your achillies also burns calories/needs nutrition.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have been on a 1,200 calorie limit for over a month and I feel WONDERFUL! The main things are making sure you are getting PLENTY of complex carbs like brown rice and whole wheat bread and especially my favorite steel cut oats in the morning all of these will not only provide you with bunches of energy but also keep you full so you won't be so hungry! Hope this helps add me and let me know how it goes

Good God...
  • Jcqdnld
    Jcqdnld Posts: 4
    Options
    I eat 1500 calories a day give or take 100 calories, if your exercising you really need the extra calories so that you don't get light headed, just up your exercising so that you can eat more.
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Long term it possibly could be harmful as gaining adequate nutrition is difficult.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    And what if you are hitting all macros at 1200?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    And what if you are hitting all macros at 1200?

It depends on what you mean, as if you are just aiming at the percentages, 30% of not a lot is still not a lot.

I'd be suprised if you are still hitting the recommended amounts per lb of protein, carbs and fat on a 1200 restriction.
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've only been consistently logging in and eating 1,200 for a week. Tonight however I went over. I'm going to start again tomorrow. I was good until the 7th day and then I became very hungry, exhausted, and cranky. I'm wondering what other peoples thoughts/experiences are... thanks

That's your's body response to not getting enough food for basic functions of your body living.

don't worry, you can slow your metabolism down, and the hunger will go away, as so many comment on.

And since your metabolism slows, you burn less calories at everything. Rest, daily, exercise.

Weight loss slows down, and will eventually stall after your body reaches equilibrium.

Or, always net at/above your BMR, basic calories if you were in coma all day.
    MFP - Tools - BMR calc.

Is your BMR above 1200?
    If you suppress it to 1200 by underfeeting, how many free calories burned each day will you be missing out on?
    Say, 300? Feel like missing out on 2/3 lb weight loss per week eventually?

FINALLY someone explains this in a way I can get my head around! Many thanks.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Mfp set me 1200 for my size and lifestyle. I'm on maintenance.

Today:
    Cals 1203,
    Carbs 27,
    fat 64,
    Protein 148,
    sugars 12,
    potassium 2220
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Mfp set me 1200 for my size and lifestyle. I'm on maintenance.

Today:
    Cals 1203,
    Carbs 27,
    fat 64,
    Protein 148,
    sugars 12,
    potassium 2220

I was going to say that your Carbs are much lower than the daily amount recomended by most nutritionists, but can see you are following Paleo. But I understood even for Paleo that around 100g was recommended at maintenance level.

I'm impressed with your protein levels - I'm on 1750 calories daily and I struggle to get as much protein in as you.