no one's noticed!

Options
I just wanted to share something weird. So I have lost almost 20lbs, and other than one coworker (and obviously my husband), no one has noticed! Lol! I think it probably has to do with how I carry my weight, it's mostly in the stomach area which was never very visible with the baggy clothes I felt I had to wear. So I guess no one was really able to see my body shape very well before.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them. I feel like a totally different person on the inside, and bottom line is I'm not doing this for anyone but myself, but I would have thought at this point that SOMEONE would have said something :) Thank goodness for all my great mfp friends who make me feel awesome pretty much every day!

Replies

• ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    People who see you every day won't notice because it's a gradual thing.
  • jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 192
    Options
    No one noticed my first 40.....but my last 20 was noticed by everyone
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Mine wasn't noticeable until around 30 pounds because I tend to lose equally all over.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Some people are just oblivious and won't notice.
    Others notice but are afraid to say anything (the old 'oh so I looked horrible before?' mind games)
    And of course if you mention it 'casually' you're fishing for compliments.

Go to a thrift store or hunt bargain racks and get some clothes that fit but don't cost too much-you'll be shrinking out of them.
    You have a few people-if you need to find a few more and confide in them. Tell them you'd love a little external affirmation that you are on the right track and want them to help you stay on it-good and bad comments allowed.

I know people says 'do it for yourself' and 'it only matters how you feel' but I think that having people notice is really helpful.

For my part, I have a co-worker, a close friend and my sister who I've enlisted to help. My co-worker is younger, thinner and more stylish than I, so her comments on what looks good/bad/iffy help me phase old, too-big clothing out of my wardrobe.
  • kellyrorie
    kellyrorie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My friend had this motivational poster as a profile pic for a while that said:

It takes 4 weeks for you to see your body changing,
    it takes 8 weeks for your friends and family to notice,
    and it takes 12 weeks for the rest of the world...
    Keep going

Also, maybe co workers are noticing, but dont know how to bring it up?
    20 lbs is a HUGE accomplishment, be proud and keep going...people will notice, I promise!
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    You could always announce it to EVERYONE before they have a chance to notice or NOT notice...

"Wow girl I haven't seen you in forever, whatever you're doing is making you look great..!"
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I've lost 13lbs and no one has mentioned anything except my mom. Not even my husband. I've been working at this for 9 weeks now.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds before anyone at work asked if I was losing. Of course, I was still wearing baggy pants and shirts. When I started buying smaller and better fitting clothes, then the compliments started rolling in.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Aye it happens, same with me, only my wife really can see the 30 since jan1.
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    No one ever has noticed my loss until about 20lb. Don't worry, it will happen. Also, once I started to do abs every day, the comments started coming.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I have been having the same thing i was so excited to go to Zumba the other night after a couple of weeks of not being able to go and no one noticed any difference. all of my weight is in my stomach and i try to keep it sucked in and wear flattering clothes. so i feel ya :wink:
  • elliek968
    elliek968 Posts: 10
    Options
    My sister who is also on MFP had the same problem. One day at the grocery store, her fav cashier noticed her weight loss. Not too many have noticed mine. Maybe they will after my 20 pound mark. Either way, great job to all.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Dont be disheartened I bet you feel loads better for the weight you have dropped. My work mates noticed after about 25 lbs and some havent commented at all even though I have lost 53 lbs. I am happy with the work I have done and feel great. You should too xxx
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Same here. I've lost 16 and there's a huge difference in my body but I always wear loose clothes.

I still weary baggy clothes to the gym. I told my husband I'm going to continue doing that until I reach my goal weight. Then, one day, I'm going to walk into the gym in a skin tight yoga outfit and just blow everyone's mind. Hahaha. :)

They'll be like.... Whatttt?????
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    There are couple of things....point 1-yes, people who see you on a daily basis may not notice as the change is gradual, I am my own worst critic, and I don't see the changes in my body, but my bf tells me all the time my face is thinner, my butt is smaller, etc.... and 2-sometimes people don't say anything as they are not sure how to approach it. Weight is a touchy subject, you know. If you know that you are kicking butt and your husband is supportive, then what else do you need!! :)
  • byronguy74
    Options
    I had about the same thing. There were a couple of people that knew what I was doing and would say things along the way but for the most part I was at about 30 pounds before people starting to say anything. When I was at about 35 pounds or so it seemed like everyone noticed all at once. As others have said, you are doing this for you not for them!
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hello, I had lost about 50lbs before anyone other then my husband really noticed or before they started saying that I looked good or that I had lost weight..everyone holds their weight differently.Recently my husbands friend told me he noticed I lost a ton of weight the last time he saw me but he said he didnt want to say anything because he didnt want to offend me..why in the hell would it offend me lol!! You really have to go off of how YOU are feeling..some people honestly wont say anything even if they notice a huge change in you.
  • mattadams80
    mattadams80 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A bunch of my co-workers are doing a biggest loser competition, and some of us only come in to the office every few weeks... and whenever anyone sees us, even though our weight loss isn't super dramatic, everyone always comments on it though they don't notice it so much in each other, just because they see each other all the time...
  • pinkhu13
    pinkhu13 Posts: 133
    Options
    One thing to remmeber is that just because they don't say anything doesn't mean they don't notice. I know it sounds kinda stupid but sometimes people just may not comment on it.
  • stufie
    stufie Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My friend had this motivational poster as a profile pic for a while that said:

It takes 4 weeks for you to see your body changing,
    it takes 8 weeks for your friends and family to notice,
    and it takes 12 weeks for the rest of the world...
    Keep going

Also, maybe co workers are noticing, but dont know how to bring it up?
    20 lbs is a HUGE accomplishment, be proud and keep going...people will notice, I promise!

Love the quote. And I agree - maybe they just don't know how to bring it up. I know the only people at my work who comment on my weight loss are those who know how hard and how actively I'm trying. The others don't say a word about it.