How to tone?

Options

Replies

• Emmea2729
    Emmea2729 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    thank you for this. im the same. i just dont want to have to join a gym - its too expensive as im in uni. how heavvy would people reccomend, and what kind of lifiting? say to "tone" legs and stomach?
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Yup, lift heavy. Honestly, you could go with smaller weights and more reps, but you won't create that "toned" look. It'll benefit you, of course, because those muscles will be worked out, but it won't build the muscle you need to create the look of "toned" muscle. And I guarantee you, unless you have a hormonal issue where you somehow have too much androgen or testosterone floating around, you won't bulk up accidentally, because that takes a whole 'lotta time and effort, and unless you're aiming for it, you won't end up looking like it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    thank you for this. im the same. i just dont want to have to join a gym - its too expensive as im in uni. how heavvy would people reccomend, and what kind of lifiting? say to "tone" legs and stomach?

Does your uni have a gym?
  • Ninikins2
    Ninikins2 Posts: 73
    Options
    How many reps should I do of max weight I can lift? Or should I just do them til I can't anymore?
  • Emmea2729
    Options

Does your uni have a gym?

yes but its a ridiculous price. actually costs more than the one in town
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    How many reps should I do of max weight I can lift? Or should I just do them til I can't anymore?

I like to do three sets of 8.
  • billthekill
    Options
    Need to have pics to get a fair assessment. Do you know what your body fat % is?
    I'm just guessing here but, maybe you need to get even lower in weight.

Lifting is great but, it takes a long time to see the results.

The easiest way to look like you gained 10 lbs of muscle is to lose 10 lbs of fat.
  • Ninikins2
    Options
    I don't know how to post pics? Is there a way to check your body fat without those pinchers? A calculator?
  • Emmea2729
    Options
    skinfold is simple and accurate. probably best to go with them
  • Ninikins2
    Options
    Ok I changed my pic to one a I took a few weeks ago. To be fair I am sucking it in a little. My arms are pretty flabby too.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    I'm struggling to see love handles, pooch or any real problems.

but anyway....a good lifting regime now will definitely give you some definition.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    I'm struggling to see love handles, pooch or any real problems.

but anyway....a good lifting regime now will definitely give you some definition.

This. You look very lean. What you seem to think are love handles, I think are just where your hips begin, since it starts right at your natural waistline.
  • billthekill
    Options

This. You look very lean. What you seem to think are love handles, I think are just where your hips begin, since it starts right at your natural waistline.

+1
    Yes you are pretty lean already.

I think most people including me think you look great already. You could go a little lower but, I wouldn't recommend going too much lower.

I'm gonna guess your body fat at about 18% - 20%. I think you have reach the state where losing a pound of fat will really become noticeable. Whereas before, losing a pound makes you look like a smaller version of yourself, losing a pound now will start to reveal the definition of you muscle.

Here is a link that show what people looks like at a particular body fat %:
    http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

You can decide how low you want to go. Keep in mind though that the women showing at 11% and 15% body fat has a fair amount of muscle so, getting to look like them will require packing on some muscle as well. Also, the author recommend that a women not stay below 15% for a long period of time.
  • billthekill
    Options
    I don't know how to post pics? Is there a way to check your body fat without those pinchers? A calculator?

You can get a rough estimate of your body fat with a measuring tape:
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Is tone a bad word? What would be better, shape up? Slim down? I don't know.

Nah just there are some anal people here that dont like slag terms and they actually take the time to spam other peoples threads to rant about it.. haha

Anyways I cannot see your diary but honestly carbs and fat do not build muscle, protein builds muscle. Maybe you can custom your diary and lower your carbs, fat and up your protein but keeping the same overall cals. and try that for a start. Average natural body builders can get 1/2 lb of lean muscle a week so you can see how long it can take to regrow. But your lifting heavy so this is good. My advice is more protein.

it looks like the muscle is there, you just need to cut the fat to see the definition youre looking for. Protein, fat, carbs, whatever, go for a daily deficit of calories and throw some cardio in along with the lifting youve been doing and focus on cutting body fat and the muscles that are hiding underneath the fat will show themselves
  • Brandongood
    Options
    If you are looking to get muscled up then yes you lift heavy but if you are trying to "tone" then high reps of lighter weights is what is needed. If you want to build strength and gain muscle then the best way to do it is when you do your weightlifting exercises do 80-85% of the heaviest weight you can do one rep of. Build your program on this and do 6-8 reps and 3 sets then gradually build. Yes, protein helps to build lean muscle. Good luck.

This is crap advice. Sorry, but it's completely untrue. Low weights for high reps does nothing. Women who lift are incapable of bulking due to hormones, but it will give you the "toned" look most women are seeking. Those that do look bulky lift 4564828 hours a week at the gym and take "supplements".

The New Rules book discusses this at length.

Im sure New Rules is a great book and all, but to say lighter weights and higher reps does nothing is also untrue. I am doing sets of 24, 20, 16, and 12 with lighter weights while Im cutting and believe me theyre doing something. Im quite sore right now and the definition is starting to show.
  • Brandongood
    Options
    Well I have been in martial arts and weight training for over 30 years and have trained both men and woman but I am sure you have more of a take on this subject than I.

Ahhh that explains it. The advice of low weight high reps is about 30 years old and getting "bulky" is 30 years old. In my profession, keeping current on research is mandatory. It should be for trainers too.

Dont listen to badger. Do what works for YOU.
  • Brandongood
    Options
    Need to have pics to get a fair assessment. Do you know what your body fat % is?
    I'm just guessing here but, maybe you need to get even lower in weight.

Lifting is great but, it takes a long time to see the results.

The easiest way to look like you gained 10 lbs of muscle is to lose 10 lbs of fat.

This.
  • Brandongood
    Options

there is a measuring tape method. The Marine Corps uses it, but it is + or - 4%. Or you can get the skin calipers done if you have a gym.
  • hippychickuk
    hippychickuk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to get muscled up then yes you lift heavy but if you are trying to "tone" then high reps of lighter weights is what is needed. If you want to build strength and gain muscle then the best way to do it is when you do your weightlifting exercises do 80-85% of the heaviest weight you can do one rep of. Build your program on this and do 6-8 reps and 3 sets then gradually build. Yes, protein helps to build lean muscle. Good luck.

this would be the post that gets flamed... welcome to MFP :)

You're like a psychic, aren't you? :wink: