Anybody not hate stevia?

Options

Replies

• yasmine36
    yasmine36 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love it and have sence I first started using it. Tastes good on everything to me. I guess I'm lucky :)
  • karisma81
    karisma81 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of stevia in my coffee but ok with it in yogurt. Maybe the difference is the temperature.

You can try gradually reducing the amount of real sugar you put in your coffee until you acquire a taste for coffee with little to no sugar. I'm down to 1 teaspoon of brown sugar or 0.5 tbsp creamer which is only about 15 calories.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    The cheaper varieties/ brands have an aftertaste. The costlier brands don't. Only a very small percentage of the plant has no aftertaste. The more expensive brands only use the part of the plant that doesn't have an aftertaste. Not sure what the brand name is though. I bought it at Safeway, and the package explains the reason for the aftertaste.

It tasted GOOD, not funky like the other stuff. I believe that it was packaged in smaller packets like sugar packets. I don't use it anymore. I just use honey or pure maple syrup.

Stevia is a natural plant that grows in the wild, it's not a Frankin Food dreamed up in a lab. If I still had a craving for sugar I would still be using it.:smile:
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    I like it. I just use it in small doses only. :) Truvia is pretty good. But a lot of people say it tastes soapy to them. I don't taste it. Apparently my palate isn't great? haha
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I use it and like it. One thing is to use less of it than you think you need. Too much is definitely bitter. I've slowly reduced my sweet tooth by cutting back on added sugar/stevia in my coffee, etc.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options
    I like it and liked it the first time I tried it. I used the liquid type at first. The next batch I got I didn't like, but then after doing some research I discovered there are different types of stevia with varying levels of after taste. Most today are the type with little after taste, at least it seems that way to me as I doesn't seem to matter any more which brand I get.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    I like it. I confess to only using it in coffee. But I think it is the safest of the artificial sweeteners.

It's not artificial.

And it is safe.

Table sugar is the evaporated solids of the sugar cane stalk.

Stevia is the evaporated solids of the stevia leaf.

:)

Not fake.
  • rlprlp7
    rlprlp7 Posts: 3
    Options
    Not really it may be the kind you are using
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love stevia with my Greek yogurt and a few other items. I can tolerate it in my coffee although I still prefer the taste of Splenda in my coffee instead. I love the fact that it is a natural sweetener though and generally use it before anything else at home especially since I was recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes and I have to watch my carbs.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    The cheaper varieties/ brands have an aftertaste. The costlier brands don't. Only a very small percentage of the plant has no aftertaste. The more expensive brands only use the part of the plant that doesn't have an aftertaste. Not sure what the brand name is though. I bought it at Safeway, and the package explains the reason for the aftertaste. It tasted GOOD, not funky like the other stuff. I believe that it was packaged in smaller packets like sugar packets. I don't use it anymore. I just use honey or pure maple syrup.

Maybe Stevia in the Raw?
  • DollHouseKiera
    Options
    Stevia is a member of the ragweed family causing approximately 5% of people to have an allergic reaction to it. Me, I stop breathing... I have a severe allergy to Stevia in any form.

I like breathing. Breathing tastes better than pretty much anything =)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think it's horrible.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I like it. I just use it in small doses only. :) Truvia is pretty good. But a lot of people say it tastes soapy to them. I don't taste it. Apparently my palate isn't great? haha

That's funny. I don't get that from stevia- I'm a fan. I get it from cilantro. Bleh. They are unrelated plants, but it's interesting that people get similar flavors from them.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I grow Stevia in my herb garden. I enjoy it, pick a leaf and munch it while gardening.
    Truvia / Purvia and any other "stevia" product that can be swapped "measure for measure" with sugar has all kinds of fillers in them to bulk them up, which i prefer to avoid. If I have to buy Stevia I get the leaf extract itself not one of the filled up ones.
  • junglejd13
    junglejd13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I only use it in my coffee, it was a bit strong at first, but it only took me about a week to adjust, as I drink it in my coffee every morning. I like the brand NuNaturals, and I think the powder form is less bitter than liquid, although I saw someone mention liquid vanilla stevia, that sounds good, as I love vanilla, so I think I'll check that out. I also like Agave, but I've never put that in coffee, only in tea.
  • deblc6836
    deblc6836 Posts: 59
    Options
    I dont know anyone who likes it in coffee (though apparently some responders here do)...I use it in kefir smoothies, and love it in there.
  • LyttlePyxie
    Options
    I use it in my coffee. The only difference I taste is that my coffee isn't as sweet as it used to be. I did get used to it, though.
  • sdag
    sdag Posts: 29
    Options
    I don't know if "Truvia (never tried it)" or "Stevia in the Raw" are the exact same thing, but I very much like Stevia in the Raw. It tastes really sweet and I LOVE that. It's so sweet that I often don't need to use the entire packet.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I use it and enjoy it! I like the liquid form best. I most recently went to using truvia.. I like it in my coffee. I don't sweeten much else. = )
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    It took me a few times to get used to tasting something different. I prefer it to other sweeteners and use it in my coffee daily.