The Biggest Loser is a sham

Options
Just read a bunch of reports how The Biggest Loser is all setup. They actually do not weigh in weekly, and it goes on for 9 months, not 3. I was a huge fan of the show until I read up on it.

No wonder people are obsessed with losing 20 pounds a week instead of the recommended 2.

Replies

• carlie_carl
    carlie_carl Posts: 285
    Options
    I had an inclin that it was longer than suggested, I also read that every contestant was given an option of a gastric band after the final show pre-reunion, still....Im a big fan of Sarah so 3 months or 9 im chuffed for her lol
  • strandedj
    strandedj Posts: 128
    Options
    I don't watch the show much, but they were recently recruiting in our town and said something about having a personal trainer live with you or work with you for a year.
  • PunkRockDad
    Options
    I love the show, but I am not sure why they have to fake things. The more and more I read about the scripted scenes, the more it pisses me off. I think it still has a good meesage to get healthy, but I think they may be twisting people's perspective on what getting healthy is all about. Losing 10 pounds a week is not healthy for your body. Even though in real life they are not losing 10 pounds a week, people like myself (before I educated myself) thought that if you bust your *kitten* and starve yourself, 10 pounds should be the norm for a week of dieting.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    where did you read this? im not a fan of the show but i have a hard time believing this. they put out 2 shows a year and if it took 9 months they would overlap. i dont think they could pull that off.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I don't watch the show but I'm glad it's not a 3 month deal... that is so unhealthy and so unrealistic and makes "regular" folks think they can't do it unless they're on this "fat farm show".

I think it inspires some people but mostly, the couple of times I saw it (before I started my journey), I was just a couch potato watching the weigh-ins to see exactly how much these folks lost. I never moved off the couch. Not very inspiring when you see someone drop 11 pounds in 1 week and you know you can't do that.
  • carlie_carl
    carlie_carl Posts: 285
    Options
    I love the show, but I am not sure why they have to fake things. The more and more I read about the scripted scenes, the more it pisses me off. I think it still has a good meesage to get healthy, but I think they may be twisting people's perspective on what getting healthy is all about. Losing 10 pounds a week is not healthy for your body.

totally agree with you pal, it gives some people who perhaps are a little new to it all falce hope and leaves them discouraged
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Well I know it was longer than the months they show, it's pretty obvious isn't it, they tape a bunch of shows early, and then they leave the ranch and do it on their own for 3 or 4 months and then next week is season finale. Where did those months go. I however didn't realize it was 9 months I thought 6 to 8 months.
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    I actually know of someone that tried out for the show - they told him he was not fat enough to gain weight - he gained it got on the show and actually was a recent winner. Agree - a sham
  • ravoc
    ravoc Posts: 1
    Options
    I love The Biggest Loser because you get to know and care about the contestants, but I wish they did not lose so much wieght so quickly. Not only is that unrealistic, but it is also pretty risky. I don't think our bodies are meant to gain or lose weight that quickly. I remember my ob/gyn telling me it took nine months to gain the weight when I was pregnant, so I should expect nine months to take off the weight. It was great advice and very true. I am not a medical professional, but I have heard that rapid weight gain or loss is hard on our hearts.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    What's involved in those 9 months? 2-3 months recruiting & filming. 3 months of actual show, then 2-3 months of editing and preparing for television while the contestants go it alone? Just think of the time it takes to edit all that footage into what people would like to watch. They're filmed just about 24 hours a day. I'd like to see source article of the complaint.

The confessionals tell of their training regimen, 4 hours in the gym every single day. The rest of the time is spent with classes learning about food & whatnot, meeting with dietitians, learning how to cook, etc... If you spent 24-28 hours per week in the gym working out (usually with a trainer making sure your heart rate was up), monitoring your calorie intake like a hawk, you'd probably drop like they do.

What's unrealistic is to expect an average person with a job, family, etc.. to maintain that lifestyle for 12 weeks. If you're pulling a 40 hour work week, then hit the gym right after for 4 hours, imagine how long you could continue at that pace. You'd probably burn out after the first week.

The show, however is not reality. Bob & Jillian, or whomever the new trainer is, are not coming to take you away to the ranch, but the gym is there, constantly. There are incredible free resources for how to prepare food & track your calories. There is a great community here to encourage you and tell you when you're off track. Take the show for what it is, a television show. If you're inspired to get off the couch & move, then do it!
  • KJVBear33
    KJVBear33 Posts: 628
    Options
    That sucks daphne.......I am not so sure on the whole thing myself.......I feel like it could go one way or the other at the slightest bit of news or opinion really. Up to now, I feel as though they had no business telling someone to get fatter for the show. I think that shows the wrong message........honestly, if I were him/her, I would have taken it to the news right then and there. Tell them that The Biggest Loser actually ASKED him to gain so he could lose it all. That just totally defeats the whole purpose.

I think anybody who does a weight loss challenge show ought to do a disclaimer really that says "these people have not lost x amount of weight in x amount of time.......we say that they do because of _____" (you fill in the blank). That way, people know its not good to lose that amount of weight in such a short time.

In the end, they probably figured that most of us out there are smart enough to realize this, but honestly, there are some very impressionable people out there.......mainly teens and young adults who want to lose the easy and fast way. There is no such thing and that line of thinking is dangerous for teens and young adults looking for a quick fix. Its the main reasons why we have eating disorders to be certain--media of all kinds and not just with biggest loser either.
  • PunkRockDad
    Options

In the end, they probably figured that most of us out there are smart enough to realize this

:noway:

:huh:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I don't watch the show but I'm glad it's not a 3 month deal... that is so unhealthy and so unrealistic and makes "regular" folks think they can't do it unless they're on this "fat farm show".

I think it inspires some people but mostly, the couple of times I saw it (before I started my journey), I was just a couch potato watching the weigh-ins to see exactly how much these folks lost. I never moved off the couch. Not very inspiring when you see someone drop 11 pounds in 1 week and you know you can't do that.
    Me too! But I was a couch potato who ate potato chips or caramel corn while watching the show. lol
  • KJVBear33
    Options
    What's involved in those 9 months? 2-3 months recruiting & filming. 3 months of actual show, then 2-3 months of editing and preparing for television while the contestants go it alone? Just think of the time it takes to edit all that footage into what people would like to watch. They're filmed just about 24 hours a day. I'd like to see source article of the complaint.

The confessionals tell of their training regimen, 4 hours in the gym every single day. The rest of the time is spent with classes learning about food & whatnot, meeting with dietitians, learning how to cook, etc... If you spent 24-28 hours per week in the gym working out (usually with a trainer making sure your heart rate was up), monitoring your calorie intake like a hawk, you'd probably drop like they do.

What's unrealistic is to expect an average person with a job, family, etc.. to maintain that lifestyle for 12 weeks. If you're pulling a 40 hour work week, then hit the gym right after for 4 hours, imagine how long you could continue at that pace. You'd probably burn out after the first week.

The show, however is not reality. Bob & Jillian, or whomever the new trainer is, are not coming to take you away to the ranch, but the gym is there, constantly. There are incredible free resources for how to prepare food & track your calories. There is a great community here to encourage you and tell you when you're off track. Take the show for what it is, a television show. If you're inspired to get off the couch & move, then do it!

See......exactly my point........this is also another side fully emerged out of the darkness. There are many different levels of The Biggest Loser. The point is, that if there are people out there that take it at face value and try to lose x amount of weight in x amount of time, that they ought to let people know that it really isn't like that at all. Only because of the impressionable young minds that don't really think things all the way through before actually trying to do it themselves.

But this person brings a whole new element to it (as someone else, I think, did at one point or another)......inspiration. If you are inspired by the show, more power to you. What is so awe-inspiring is the courage it took to take on such a feat as losing weight. Not only that, but to do it in front of a camera too. For me, I really wouldn't like a camera in my face every time I went to work out. I am not ashamed at what my body has become, but I am more or less doing it for me and me alone and my health. But that show gets me thinking........well, if they can do it, so can I! Lets push on through to the end.......
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't watch it either but I never thought that losing as much as they claimed in as little of time that was told was safe!! They need to be up front to people about this so that false hope isn't given to those that think that this is possible!! Regardless though it's nice to see that there is a show trying to motivate people!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I never saw any reports like that ... was somewhat addicted to watching the show but was becoming irritated at the degrading manner that some of the contestants were treated. I totally dislike how they "vote people off". It stinks! The one positive thing, though , I learned a lot and it helped me stay motivated during the times I was struggling to get rid of the fat. Thank you very much for this post. You GUYS are tops. One of you lost 190 pounds ~~~ that took a lot of courage and determination. I SALUTE you :)
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    You ROCK :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    There is this new show on in Australia atm called Excess Baggage. I LOVE it compared to TBL!
    There are all sort of celebs on there, singers, ex footy players etc... they have challenges etc but it is more of a lifestyle change.
    They only lose up to 2 or 3 pounds a week, they were told in the first week that if they starve themselves they will be kicked out!
    They can choose what days they want to workout and not. The money they win from the challenges goes to a charity of their choice and in the end the person who "wins" is the person with the best lifestyle change. They also talk about moderation, being allowed a glass of wine or a slice of cake but to really take it in and enjoy it rather than wolfing it down.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    oooh I do love a scandal when it comes to "reality" tv shows.

I've only started watching it this year and in no way does it give me motivation. I didn't really have an idea of the length of time I presumed it would be around 6 months though. I always thought they would purposely pick people who had a problem with just basic overeating and under exercising so that they could easily get big results rather than pick someone that had put on weight overeating by just the smallest amount, or even those who have had real problems with their weight for years and have real issues with food going between to small and too big.

I have always laughed when "celebrities" have moaned about how it's their job to stay looking good and they have to spend hours working out in the gym everyday, as I would love that, it's the same with this show, if half of your day in which you would usually be doing a 8-5 office job you spend exercising of course you will lose weight, yes it's exhausting but it's all for your own good.

I find these type of shows more interesting when someone just goes in, helps them out, gives them a plan and someone to work-out with then leaves them to it, come back over a period time and see how they're doing for no monetary reward.
  • KJVBear33
    Options

In the end, they probably figured that most of us out there are smart enough to realize this

:noway:

:huh:

Missed my point......why not try reading the WHOLE thing.......I said that they probably figured that most of us out there are smart enough to realize this...........BUT (and pay attention now cause this is what you missed) there are some impressionable young minds out there that don't know any better (okay, not word for word what I said before). Which means that not everyone IS smart enough to realize it.