Recovering after a binge weekend?

Options
I have been doing well for over a month now, down a little over 10 pounds and staying around 1200 calories a day. The past 2 nights I have managed to complete my day at almost double the amount of calories that I am suppose to have per day. Now I feel like crap and obviously guilty and depressed about these binges-I don't even want to look at my scale. Is there any way to get over this so I don't continue on this slippery slope?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Everyone has bad times. I've been having bad days recently. I'm blaming it on the full moon. Don't beat yourself up. Hope you enjoyed yourself. :drinker:
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Do not weigh yourself for the next few days. Just eat normally, exercise, and try to have a positive mindset. Today is a new day and another chance to do well.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    You've done a great job losing the weight you have. A few missteps aren't going to throw off your entire progress. When I have an off day I pump up the exercise and eat extra clean the next day or two. You'll feel better and you'll know you can have a bit of fun every once in a while but be able to get right back on it. Keep up the good work!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Do not weigh yourself for the next few days. Just eat normally, exercise, and try to have a positive mindset. Today is a new day and another chance to do well.

^This! :)
  • Jessie3120
    Options
    For me personally at least one time a week i allow my self one splurge item , so i dont feel the need to binge....I have battled with my weight for years but found by doing that it makes it just a little bit easier, i hope that helps....and good luck on weight loss goal :)
  • KansasRain
    Options
    i did this for about 2 weeks due to TOTM but now its all over with and yesterday i did a good job and today i was down a pound. I think maybe you should try eating a few more cals a day so that your body doesn't crave so much. I started off trying to stick to 1200 before i joined mfp and didn't do me any good once i joined this site and got 1580 as my limit i did SO much better. it might seem like eating more would be a bad thing but sometimes your body just NEEDS a lil more to get by on specially when your use to eating a ton more and you suddenly cut out to many cals its starvation mode.
  • Chinook71
    Chinook71 Posts: 19
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up....it happens. Drink LOTS of water and get back on track. As someone else mentioned, don't weigh yourself for a few days. You're doing great, don't let this one weekend derail you!
  • daringgreatly21
    Options
    Weekends are always the hardest, but you get an endless amount of restarts if you allow yourself them! So just have a really good week and see if you can make it through a weekend normally. Once this happens, the rest is history!!
  • Mazzyx
    Mazzyx Posts: 131
    Options
    Start afresh today. Note down why you think you binged...particular stressed? feeling down? Then hopefully next time when you feel like a binge you can recognise how you actually feel and then do something different like a hot bath, a good book or seeing friends.
    But now just go back to eating healthy and possibly exercise just the tiny bit more for the next few days and youll get back on track. But a couple of days of binging wont do you any harm. Just try and minimise them! But we all need a day where we eat what we want!!
    xxx
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I am literally in the same boat as you, had a horrible weekend. Weighed myself and somehow am up 2 pounds. I'm going to do what the PP said and just not weigh myself for a few days and eat well and try to not get depressed about it. Hang in there!
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yep...wait a few days to weigh. I always weight on Fridays. Therefore Friday is my "spike" day. I had an off week 2 weeks ago and gained. I knew I had gained before I got on the scale...My mind starting to revert back to my hopeless days...I just had to quickly say..okay it's a new week. The next Friday I lost the 2 lbs. I had gained the prev. week plus 1 more. So glad I didn't throw in the towel. But I feel ya. It happens to us all just don't lose sight of the goal you are trying to reach :)
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've been there and have found that fast on = fast off. Just stay away from the scales, wear clothes that you feel good in, and hop back on plan. Remember, this is just a minor glitch. You've been doing SO great! Don't be too hard on yourself, girl!
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Get back on the horse. Add some friends, you can surely add me if you'd like! What has been the most beneficial for me is opening up my food diary. It was freeing. It kind of keeps me accountable. I really want to lose this extra weight and building a strong support network and being 100% honest with myself has been so very rewarding. This is just my experience and my suggestion, which you did ask for :flowerforyou:
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Have a great day, get some exercise, take an extra walk or bike ride, and drink plenty of water to help flush out toxins from your system. Keep a positive attitude.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am in the camp that believes you SHOULD weigh yourself the morning after a binge. To add consequences to the behaviour to make it less likely to reoccur. Denial has not helped most of us so far, has it?
  • joyce1129
    joyce1129 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day, yesterday is done, filed, over, forgotten. So, a fresh start. You cannot undo yesterday, but you CAN make today the best you can! Do not get on the scale until Friday at the earliest. You know what to do, and you have done it, so, just keep doing what you know how to do and move on. Every one of us had had the same happen to us, and if anyone who says they haven't , well they most likely aren't being quite truthful.
  • LHSweeney
    LHSweeney Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I always binge 2 to 3 times between PMS week and "the week of total illness" as I call it. Whatever the reason for your binge, its all good .... this is why you strive to eat healthy every day .... so that you don't have to beat yourself up after a bad couple days...... that's the good thing about this, there is no race and no deadline ...... unless you're trying to get into a bikini.... hitch up your spandex and get back in it !!! :flowerforyou: you are not alone
  • Pandalicious
    Options
    Just start eating healthily and exercising again and keep a positive mindset. Make sure to have a cheat meal or day every now and then so you will not feel the need to binge again.
  • AnnaTennent01
    AnnaTennent01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Go on - ease up on yourself, my trainer says that I can have one day off a week if I am in a consistent range of 50-100 calories around my target intake of 1600; so I make sure that I keep it for a splurge at the w/e - that way day 2 I am getting back into it and don't feel guilty and misery eat - you should have seen last Friday but I'm back on track today although yesterday was a bit carb heavy. I'm losing about 1-1.5lb a week, which is what I want, slow but steady and I don't feel hungry as I have a small meal ever 4 hours. Hope this helps you get back on track!
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i had an awesome pig out day yesterday :-) i don't feel guilty about it because it was a choice to eat like that for the day! as long as i acknowledge that it was a choice to eat like that and today my choice is to NOT eat like that, then all is good!!

so, today, back to our regularly scheduled program of logging food and eating as clean as i can!

pig out days are a mental thing. they are a choice and a sign that you want a day to not feel restricted. just don't let them mentally derail you and turn into a WEEK!!!!!

today make the choice to make the RIGHT choices! you got this!!!