Stop lying about nutritional info or supporting the lie

Options

Replies

• PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I think the issue isn't really how many calories is in a cup of pasta as much as how much is a cup of pasta. Let's face it, even if you are eating the most decadent pasta dish, but you stick to 1 cup, you are not taking in an ergregious amount of calories. The problem is - no one sticks to one cup. They eat 3 or 4 and log 1 cup.

I don't even know if people realize they are doing this. i think they really believe that a bowl is a cup.

I try very hard to measure everything. And I use both a scale and measuring cups.

But sometimes it is really difficult, esp when you are eating things like nuts and fruit - where it isn't premeasured and there is a lot of space/variability in size.
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Oh that drives me batty too. A lot of the time it turns out it was the same product in another country. If I make and entry for Canada I label it as Canada. One thing I have noticed when I go to "fix" items that have "errors" is MFP rounds up or down. So when I find an item saying 2g Total Fat and go to fix it suddenly it says 1.7g Total Fat on the fixing screen. So a lot of times it is the site, not the people.

Another would be more detail in entries. Fettucini noodles doesn't help me unless it has the brand. And really if it's a recipe you use and don't want to detail don't choose to share it with the community.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ...don't concern myself with other people's logs unless they are my friends and ask for help/suggestions. btw, i think there are (or at least claim to be) some fast food bfast sandwiches that are around 200 cals.
  • tinaruby
    tinaruby Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you see something where the nutritional info is not right, fix it. Otherwise aren't you kind of "supporting the lie" too?

How do you fix it? I would love to, but I have only been able to create yet another entry.

I hate pulling up the info only to find that it was entered incorrectly, makes me paranoid specially when I can't find something in writing, like at a restaurant. :-) Sometimes I go back to the basics and add in individual ingredients then add it as my own meal just to avoid inaccuracies. Sad, I know, but I want it to be right... lol
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I think the issue isn't really how many calories is in a cup of pasta as much as how much is a cup of pasta. Let's face it, even if you are eating the most decadent pasta dish, but you stick to 1 cup, you are not taking in an ergregious amount of calories. The problem is - no one sticks to one cup. They eat 3 or 4 and log 1 cup.

I don't even know if people realize they are doing this. i think they really believe that a bowl is a cup.

I try very hard to measure everything. And I use both a scale and measuring cups.

But sometimes it is really difficult, esp when you are eating things like nuts and fruit - where it isn't premeasured and there is a lot of space/variability in size.

I wish I understood all this better and that portion sizes match up with real life. A cup of pasta? Really? What does that even look like? I just guess most of the time.

About a year ago, I decided to portion out a few thing I eat often to see if I was guessing right. To my surprise, I was overestimating by a lot. So, I was counting rice, for example, as a cup, when it was closer to 1/2 cup...things like that. I was pretty far off, but in the other direction.

I think I'm pretty good at estimating now. Once you see how a cup of rice looks on you plate, it's easy recognize how much it is. I use my hands too. Like an amount about the size of my fist is about a cup. A serving of protein is generally the size and thickness of your palm, minus the fingers. Etc.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If you see something where the nutritional info is not right, fix it. Otherwise aren't you kind of "supporting the lie" too?

True ^-^

I'm constantly correcting nutrition information if it is not correct...Yup, there is a LOT of incorrect information out there...
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I generally check my packages and post according to the calories on my package which might mean adjusting the serving. I'm newer here and didn't even realize you could correct that information. I certainly will do better, I bet my one slice of papa murphy's chicago stuffed pizza was wrong last night... geesh... now I'll have to check.
  • tinaruby
    Options
    love themobile app to enter right from the bar code on the package. I too keep the packing until I can scan it with my phone. My hubby no longer rolls his eyes over this behavior, it's that normal now. BTW, Just when I thought DH wasn't supportive of my workouts, he just bought me an insulated water bottle "for the trail"! Awwww....sweet!

LOL, same here!!
  • terra32903
    terra32903 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I was just lookin at "homemade" tuna salad. It had no recipe nor ingredients listed and yet 90 people confirmed the accuracy of it?1? Are members of MFP psychic? Cause if so I want some help with lottery numbers :-)
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options

Soo true. Cereal was a biggie for me, measuring my cereal was a HUGE eye-opener in serving sizes for me. I learned that my "bowl" was definitely NOT one serving, more like 4! People that don't weigh and meshed their food in the beginning are definitely doing a huge disservice to themselves IMO. Coffee creamer was another big one for me. Even to this day I never "eyeball" my creamer. I have my handy tablespoon ready right next to the coffee maker. I think before I measured/weighed my food, I wondered why I had such a hard time losing weight. Now that I have the hang of it, I can fairy accurately estimate a lot of things... But every newbie should invest in a food scale IMO.
  • tinaruby
    Options
    Can you only correct it on the computer? I generally only use the mobile app. and have never seen that option.
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    What's even worse is when you enter a specific food correctly, and it is edited to an incorrect calorie amount.
  • MEWC
    MEWC Posts: 2
    Options
    Well if you have a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich at home, you can make a reduced calorie version. I make a homemade Egg Mc Muffin with a poached egg and 100 calorie English muffin. That's under 200 calories. Occasionally I add 1/2 slice of cheese, so it's a little more. If I added a 1/2 piece of bacon, it wouldn't get too crazy calorie-wise either.

I make smoothies that are very low calorie, but again I make them at home, and am not buying them in a smoothie place where I don't control the ingredients.

Yep, I make a bacon egg & cheese sandwich at home several times a week for 220 cals, a small deli sandwich for lunch for 170 cals, etc. All about adjusting the ingredients...making things myself end up being cheaper and healthier :smile:
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options

^-^ You can't say "no one" unless you including yourself....Some of us out there are honest with our diaries...Just sayin'...
  • confuzzledwife
    Options
    ah.. I noticed the calories were off on something I was going to add into my food diary last night! I always check the calories before I eat something, so even if I do have take out I will look at the restaurants take out nutrition info first. Some people may just not know and assume what's put in here is easier or correct than getting the info themselves.. hopefully they will look now!
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    Options

I wish I understood all this better and that portion sizes match up with real life. A cup of pasta? Really? What does that even look like? I just guess most of the time.

About a year ago, I decided to portion out a few thing I eat often to see if I was guessing right. To my surprise, I was overestimating by a lot. So, I was counting rice, for example, as a cup, when it was closer to 1/2 cup...things like that. I was pretty far off, but in the other direction.

I think I'm pretty good at estimating now. Once you see how a cup of rice looks on you plate, it's easy recognize how much it is. I use my hands too. Like an amount about the size of my fist is about a cup. A serving of protein is generally the size and thickness of your palm, minus the fingers. Etc.

My point exactly.

I bought lots of little glass containers, like tupperware, that are in standard sizes - 1 cup - 2, etc. So I know when I measure 1/2 cup of greek yogurt that i will fill half of the container. This has really been helping.

I am better able to visualize how much I am eating, but I still feel better measuring most stuff I eat.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Meshed=measure. Stupid phone, wouldn't let me edit for some reason.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

How do you fix it? I would love to, but I have only been able to create yet another entry.

I hate pulling up the info only to find that it was entered incorrectly, makes me paranoid specially when I can't find something in writing, like at a restaurant. :-) Sometimes I go back to the basics and add in individual ingredients then add it as my own meal just to avoid inaccuracies. Sad, I know, but I want it to be right... lol
    Click on any food you just searched for. There's a blue box on the right where you enter the quantity to add to your diary. Under the title of the item, there's a link that says "nutritional info". Click on it, it will bring up a new box with all the nutritional information. In that box it says "Is this data accurate?" and there are two big buttons that say Yes and No. If you click yes, you will increase the "confirmed by x members" count. If you click no, it will change to say "To correct the information for this food, click here:" and there is a big edit button. Click the edit button, and you can correct the nutritional information.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    Options

^-^ You can't say "no one" unless you including yourself....Some of us out there are honest with our diaries...Just sayin'...

Oh sweetie I am certainly including myself. I try extremely hard to log things correctly, but I am honest, it is really easy to underestimate the amount that I eat. I find it extremely difficult in resturants and places where I am removed from my trusty scale and measuring cups.

And obviously, I speak in generalizations. Of course there are some people who log perfectly.

Don't take such combative defence to that generalization. I am sorry you were offended.

Congratulations on doing so well.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I "generally" take the info on MFP at face value, a few cals here or there are not going to change things too much in the grand scheme of things, but if it sounds WAY to good to be true.....I check. Although I am doing my best to stay under, it is not a life or death equation. There are days when I have a large margin of error and some where I push the envelope to the limit. Take the info with a grain of salt (pun intended) correct it if you can. I beleive they have posts in the technical section (I think) about how to correct itens.