On my way to being a trophy wife (pics)

Options
I woke up in May of 2011 and never looked back. I'm not really sure what woke me up, maybe the huffing and puffing when I tried to hike with my family, or sounding breathless from running to catch the phone, or maybe the fact that my clothes were getting tighter and tighter, but really I think it was how miserable I felt in my own skin.

I started like most on here, plugged in my numbers, wanted the weight gone asap, ate less, drank water, and walked as fast and as much as I could, weight fell off at a nice clip. I did eat my exercise calories, but looking back I should have upped my calories by a few hundred because imo MFP sets you a little low. I was netting around 1400 a day. I am 5' 9" and was hungry all the time (duh). After 25 pounds fell off (August 2011) I decided to learn how to run and began the C25K program. The first time out I thought my heart would explode. It wasn't pretty and I wasn't fast but I kept pushing myself. Inches were now flying off. I lost another 10 pounds and finished the program in October 2011, in time for my 42nd birthday I weighed 169 and was on top of the world. I kept reading and seeing other post about calories and how much to eat and realized my body needed more so I started eating around 1600-1800 net. 10 more pounds came off by Christmas, but I wasn't totally thrilled with some of the changes, sure I could run and found enjoyment in that, I looked pretty good in clothes, people were noticing, but I knew I could do better. I got hooked with strength training and l found my way in the free weights aka man cave section of the gym. I got the book New Rules of Lifting for Women for Christmas and haven't looked back. I have only lost another 5 pounds since lifting heavy but I can wear a size 6 jeans and my body is looking better and better. I have had 5 children and can't believe how things have lifted and how much better I look since lifting heavy. Not to mention how empowering it is to know I can squat 145 pounds, dead lift 100 and bench press 85. I still run 4-5 miles about 2 days a week, I lift heavy 3 days a week and I am now eating 1700-2300 a day depending on what I do that day.

I'm not at goal yet but I am so close. My goals now are more fitness related. I want to get to a 20% BF and I am at 24% now. I really want to be able to do a pull up and of course be a smoking trophy wife for the love of my life. I keep on keeping on and I know I will keep improving.

Stay the course, I believe every single person can have success if they stick with it. Sorry this was long winded and I hope others can get some encouragement from it. If I have learned anything along this path it has been to be patient, do some research and take care of yourself.

Enjoy the journey.

IMG_0599-1.jpg

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Look at you go! Congratulations on all your hard work paying off!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    You look amazing.
    You are amazing.
    :heart:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    amazing. Proud of being your friend and have a steamy girlcrush on you (don´t tell your husband)
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    You have done a spectacular job Laurie! You inspire me every day! Oh, and damn you look hot!
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    You're looking fantastic!

Inspiring story and great commitment. Well done.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    *sniff, sniff* - you're awesome, Laurie!!

A great role model. A true fun spirit on mfp. A real story of *why* heavy-lifting matters!

Good for you....and I know you are just getting started!!
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Awesome... I don know if it is about women or its d same wid men but u want to look good not just for yourself but also for the special one eho never complains about you being fat... Want to be a trophy wife myself want all our friends (male) to be jealous of himand females ofmeit might not show me in a gud light but... I gyess after five years ofbeing fat... I can want this
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look phenomenal. As a fellow lifter and NROLFW user, I am so excited that others will hear your story and start to pick up the weights too. I'm also 5'9 and I was netting around 1400 but I was tired all of the time. I'm now up by 200-300 pounds and the weight has started to come off again.

Again, congratulations. You really are an inspiration to others!
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Wow - what in inspiration! Someone here a couple of days ago was telling me I should stop worrying about those last 5 pounds and start lifting heavy if I want a bikini body for July - looking at your pics has just convinced me. Bookstore on Monday for the New Rules and craigslist for cheap weights are now top of my 'to do' list.

May I add you as a friend here?
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You are a true inspiration for all of us. Keep doing great job!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!! Good for you!
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Fabulous job!
    You look wonderful!:flowerforyou:
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    You are so darned cute, Laurie! You've done great. Be proud :)
  • LWolford84
    LWolford84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great job
  • veromancha
    veromancha Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! You look amazing!!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Ahhh my favorite role model <3 Fantastic results! Hard work pays!
  • SydneyTash
    SydneyTash Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Laurie, you are an inspiration. I have just been reading NROLFW! Must get onto it!!
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic and I am sure your husband is proud of you. Great commitment and excellant motivating story. Way to go!!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!
  • AFabulous50
    AFabulous50 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!! You look fabuous!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!