Does anyone do a cheat day?

Options

Replies

• textlikekisses
    Options
    I do a "spike day" where I intentionally go over my calories once a week. I usually will eat one "bad" meal and the rest basically healthy. I only go over my calories a bit though. It seems to help my metabolism stay on it's toes. Its different for different people though.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    About once a week I'll have a cheat MEAL and it will be spent with friends going out for drinks and/or a meal. However I tend to save up exercise cals during the week to cover it and I also try not to go totally mad. I also write everything down to stay accountable and to stop myself from going overboard. Never allow it to make you go over WEEKLY NET cals, but I'd say it's a good thing to do, kept me sane and it hasn't hindered my weight loss or maintenance and plus I don't feel like a social leper when I'm out eating with friends.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I never think of any day as a "cheat" day. If I know I am going to eat more (or less healthy) because of a party or going out with friends to a restaurant, I just make sure that I hit the gym that morning and the morning after as well. I never seem to have any problem burning enough exercise calories to make up for my indulgences. That being said, I always do my best to make the best choices that I can in any given situation so I don't go crazy with carbs, fat, or sodium as a result of what I ate.
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone, but I don't do any cheat days. If I want to go above my allocated calories, I spend some extra time in the gym. If I plan on going out that night, that might mean an hour and a half of cardio.

I find it's also helpful to do this cardio before going out so that I earn it before I use it. It keeps me from saying, "I'll just work it off tomorrow". All it takes is one time of not following through, and I've undone a few days of progress. Not worth it in my opinion.

i have a weekly cheat day.....i alternate sat. or sun....i agree with doing cardio before going out.....that way im not feeling guilty for going out and then the next day is my rest day of no exercise, but i watch what i eat and drink
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    my cheat days are saturdays (yesterday was my second) but i didnt want to over eat or go mad, i think i had 2 rock cakes and pancakes, nutella and ice cream as a treat (didnt log them-they did cause me to go over my calories but oh well!) but i think im gonna give it a miss next week as i dont think i need it, i dont crave anything anymore :)
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Nooooooooo. Part of my problem in the first place was not knowing when to stop. Or not being able to stop myself.
  • adavis59
    adavis59 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a cheat day towards the end of the week. I try not to go hog wild in eating. I just go over by a little in my caloric intake, and still keep in mind that I have to log in what I eat and that my diary is public. That kinda keeps me in check with my cheat day.
  • nyprdiva
    nyprdiva Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This is a great way to look at it and go about it.
    I can't speak for everyone, but I don't do any cheat days. If I want to go above my allocated calories, I spend some extra time in the gym. If I plan on going out that night, that might mean an hour and a half of cardio.

I find it's also helpful to do this cardio before going out so that I earn it before I use it. It keeps me from saying, "I'll just work it off tomorrow". All it takes is one time of not following through, and I've undone a few days of progress. Not worth it in my opinion.
  • ajmu
    ajmu Posts: 1
    Options
    Cheat days are recommended. You just have to be careful with how you cheat. What you have to understand is that even when you diet, your body gets used to it. Essentially your metabolism slows down. Eating cheat meal (once a week or once every 2 weeks) kick-starts that metabolism again. I know for some people its hard to watch their cheat meals but its all mental.

I have a cheat meal. I need them beacuse of the way I diet and because of the way I work out. Some people might not need them depending on their diet and on their workout routines.

If you are just getting into all this dieting and exercising it would be best to give your body 2-3 weeks and "experiment". See what works for you. Everybody is different.
  • FitnessDynasty
    Options
    Sunday is my "cheat" day. And by "cheat" I mean I get to have an extra piece of dessert or something of that nature at Sunday dinner. Do I go double my allotted calories? No, I still track what i eat and try to stay roughly around my allotted calories but on Sunday I'm just a little more liberal with my calorie intake and make sure to work a little extra harder on Monday to kick my butt into gear for the week and start off the week with a really good workout.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I havent risked a cheat day yet. I am afraid I will fall back into old habits. Many people do them and think they are great. Im just scared. :blushing:

^^This^^!!!!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It's a really interesting question, isn't it! What I'm after is a lifestyle change rather than a "diet" I have to follow XX days a week or month. So, in that respect - no, I dont "cheat" because I want to work into my lifestyle enough fun to be sustainable without sacrificing my greater goals. In other words, I don't want to give up what I want MOST just to have something I want NOW.

With that said, I plan on finding that balance of when I can have something that''s a treat and how much I can have while staying within the boundaries I set for myself. I haven't found the perfect balance, but it's a work in progress.

I do understand the psychological value in calling a treat a "cheat" - but in the new mindset I'm adopting, I can't think of it that way, personally. :-D
  • OpheliasPath
    Options
    I honestly think that it is "good for you" to cheat every once in a while.
    Maybe not for your weight loss, but definitely for your mental health!

Not that there is anything wrong with being hardcore and following your plan strictly either, of course. :)
  • mramsdell
    mramsdell Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well, I cant say I actually have "cheat days" but I do eat pretty much what I want sometimes, I just make sure that I dont overdo it and that I count the meal. I also will do some extra cardio if that happens. I love chinese food, and had some the other day. The problem was that I didnt realize how many calories that would be. So I just worked out a little bit longer, and still stayed under my calorie count for the day. The real problem, for me, is that it is salty and I do tend to retain fluids really bad when I use salt. ...and I LOVE salt..I try to do these days after my weekly weigh in (which I actually will start tomorrow since I just joined this site) so that I have the week for the fluid to go away and not get me completely discouraged.
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    Since I have been cheating for the past few years, I wont do one just yet ( I have only been on here or a week), my bday is June 10 I may have a cupcake (I love bday cake, I can eat the whole damn thing). I will see how I feel when I get almost there 3lbs in I am not really thinking about that. I you do slip, just do extra excersices and get back into mode. Good luck.
  • tatya317
    tatya317 Posts: 74
    Options
    No cheat day for me..or it will be a cheat week..LOL.. I'm not very good with cheat days ..
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't consider anything I eat "cheating". I just don't stress if I have a day that's above my calorie goal. I log it and don't let it bother me. In fact, I am secretly proud of it.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    im not ready to cheat yet... my cheat days are "not going to the gym" days... which is usually a friday or a monday. Im to scared to scarf it all down and completely blow it.

i feel the exact same way.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    When I was big I used to have one cheat day a week and it would boost my weight loss. Now that I am 10 lbs from goal I try not to have them because they hinder my loss completely and quite often I gain or stay the same with no benefit. I try to stick now to cheating on special occasions or working out extra hard to earn the calories I want to eat and that is actually working in my favor.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I do seven cheat days