peanut butter - what kind is best?

Options

Replies

• FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Just a personal thing...I've never met a peanut butter that I didn't like! As long as it was super chunky!!
  • Justice96
    Justice96 Posts: 29
    Options
    You have good advice up there ^ but you should know that its better to buy natural PBs than reduced fat kinds because the reduced fat replaces the fat with bad for your wasteline sugars.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter does have saturated fat but it's also got a lot of really good fats (mono and poly). You do have to limit how much you eat for the fact that it does have a lot of fat (good or bad, fat is fat), but it's still a great snack regardless - better to have something with a lot of good fats and a little bit of bad fats, than something that just has a lot of bad fats (like cakes and candy bars).

Personally, I like Smart Balance Peanut Butter. I basically love anything that's made by Smart Balance (buttery spreads, popcorn, etc.). They make healthier options that taste good.
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I looked at the PB2 website . Its powered? How do you use it?
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Read the ingredients. If it has anything other than "peanuts" and "salt" (and maaaaybe peanut oil) don't get it. Trader Joe's is great, as well as Laura Snieders and Smuckers all natural. It is high in fat, but it's healthy fat.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm using Smart Balance and I like it...
  • Nalgh94
    Nalgh94 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    In Canada, I buy mine from the Bulk Barn they have the "Natural Peanut Butter" in both smooth and crunchy options. It is basically just ground up Peanut Butter and you can definitely taste the difference between that and the sugary jar PB
  • xXKatrinaXx
    xXKatrinaXx Posts: 234
    Options
    I like the chocolate peanut butter that Justin's makes. sooo good!
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I looked at the PB2 website . Its powered? How do you use it?

Yup, it's just peanuts, sugar & salt in powder form. I am ADDICTED to it. I use a measuring spoon and measure out however much I want (normally 4tbsp), put it in a small prep bowl and add water (not too much, just a little at a time until you get it to the consistency you want it). I think they *say* 1tbsp water. I spread it on celery, apples, eat it plain, or a little trick I learned when I started the South Beach diet, I stir it into some fat free ricotta cheese and make a delicious, high protein, low carb dessert!!!! I highly recommend it and think it tastes great!

It will probably appeal to someone going from natural PB to PB2 a bit quicker than someone who is used to Jif, Skippy, etc. I think it's one of the best things I've discovered in a long time!!! :smile:
  • allycat54
    allycat54 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    P2 is great. You mix it with water and use it just like regular peanut butter. I dip apples into it, have it every day for a snak, 45 calories. You can also add it to shakes. Another favorite way that I use it is to mix the chocolate PB2 into vanilla ice cream and it tastes like a Reeses peanut butter cup. Adds some protein.
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    peanut butter is only bad for you if you have trouble digesting legumes. Saturated fat is good for you.
    That said, I adore Peanut Butter & Co's stuff.
    www.ilovepeanutbutter.com

Me too!! My favorite is their Cinnamon Raisin!! :-) But i can be pricy, so for $$ reasons, I choose peter pan whipped when I have to!
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I mix chocolate PB2 with Almond breeze, a banana, a scoop of protein powder and ice and blend it. A great shake.

I also mix it with plain chobani yogurt and a packet of sweetner.

I have not tried it on bread.
  • EnjoyTheSpin
    Options
    MAKE THIS!!

3/4 C almond butter +
    3/4 C almond milk +
    additions (cinnamon, sea salt, agave, a medjool date)

Very yummy and creamy and HALF the cals as regular almond butter!!!!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    My favorite is Skippy creamy roasted honey nut.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Love the natural stuff alone but for a good sandwich or cooking I import my Kraft from Canada. Not sure why it is so different, but it is sooo good. Wish they had it here in the states.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    peanut butter is only bad for you if you have trouble digesting legumes. Saturated fat is good for you.
    That said, I adore Peanut Butter & Co's stuff.
    www.ilovepeanutbutter.com

Me too!! My favorite is their Cinnamon Raisin!! :-) But i can be pricy, so for $$ reasons, I choose peter pan whipped when I have to!

there's a reason for the $. It's effecting all peanut butters, b/c the pb crops in south america failed last year, so prices are going to go up because of that. Sad :(
    I love the White Chocolate Wonderful. SO GOOD!
    Also, Barney Butter makes a wicked almond butter (very pb consistency), and I really like Justin's brand too.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ WHOLE FOODS HONEY ROASTED PEANUT BUTTER ~

* All Natural and you grind it yourself !!! Absolfrickinlutely AMAZING !!!!!

Ok ok ... Carry on .. :tongue:
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    JIF Extra Crunchy!!!!
  • wendiford
    Options
    PB2 is powdered. You mix it with 1T of water to make the paste. It doesn't taste *exactly* like peanut butter but it is pretty darn close. I love having pb and jelly on a piece of Ezekiel bread as a snack but was frustrated by the calories. I would only put on 1 T of the regular peanut butter. With the PB2, 2T of the powder (45 cals) mixed with 1T of water makes more than a Tablespoon so I get more than the 1T of regular. I love it and will keep eating it. Now I'm looking for a delicious low cal version of my favorite Bonne Maman Blueberry Preserves! ;)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I love Skippy Natural Peanut Butter. My husband eats the super crunchy and I eat the smooth. I don't buy it because of the word natural, it just tastes really good.