What are your favorite Low-Carb Meal Ideas/ Recipes?

Options
Hey anyone have some of their favorite low carb meal ideas and/ or recipes they would like to share? Thanks in advance!

PS... for anyone who might try to lecture about low carb and fad diets... I am not on any fad diets, I am on a reduced carb plan as per my doctors orders... so please only post if you have positive thoughts thanks :)

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I love using my Titan peeler to make 'noodles' from zucchini and summer squash. I will do a nice fajita style chicken with sauteed colorful pepper strips, onions, served on top of the 'noodles' that were sauteed in garlic, green onion, a little melted butter, finely diced serrano chili, shredded cheese on top of that, and then put the chicken/vegetables on top of the cheese to get it to melt.

Its ooey-gooey good and VERY healthy!

You can exchange and use jumbo shrimp, chicken, pork, even SCALLOPS... yeah..... good stuff!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    There is a low carb group you may like to join!
  • mmarlow61
    mmarlow61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have found the more simple I keep my meals, the more successful I am. But I do make a squash casserole sometimes as a treat that is awesome. Sautee some yellow squash with an onion in some olive oil and a tad of butter. Mix with an 8 oz sour cream and some grated cheese and a little garlic, salt and pepper. Put into a baking dish. Bake about 30 min at 350 then top with cheese and crunch about 6 ritz crackers over the top to give it a little extra texture. MMMMMMMMM good
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I love chili style meals so replace the mince with Quorn mince which is much lower fat and lower calorie and use cauliflower whizzed up in processor and steamed in place of rice.

My healthy version of fish and chips is a small sweet potato cut into chips and baked in oven with a fish cooked in foil and herbs (not batter/breadcrumbs) and green beans instead of mushy peas... It took me a while to get used to it but recently I had proper fish and chips from chippy (in laws brought them for lunch!) and all I could taste was the fat and think how many calories were in it, I was straight on the exercise pedals for an hour as soon as they left!
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love using my Titan peeler to make 'noodles' from zucchini and summer squash. I will do a nice fajita style chicken with sauteed colorful pepper strips, onions, served on top of the 'noodles' that were sauteed in garlic, green onion, a little melted butter, finely diced serrano chili, shredded cheese on top of that, and then put the chicken/vegetables on top of the cheese to get it to melt.

Its ooey-gooey good and VERY healthy!

You can exchange and use jumbo shrimp, chicken, pork, even SCALLOPS... yeah..... good stuff!

OMG that sounds delicious! Thanks so much for sharing... I never would have thought of something like that, but I have to try it now!
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    Options
    I have found the more simple I keep my meals, the more successful I am. But I do make a squash casserole sometimes as a treat that is awesome. Sautee some yellow squash with an onion in some olive oil and a tad of butter. Mix with an 8 oz sour cream and some grated cheese and a little garlic, salt and pepper. Put into a baking dish. Bake about 30 min at 350 then top with cheese and crunch about 6 ritz crackers over the top to give it a little extra texture. MMMMMMMMM good

Yum that sounds delicious thank you! :)
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    Options
    That's a great idea... I love cauliflower rice I have recently been making that a lot. And I know what you mean about tasting the fatty foods once you haven't eaten them for a while. I had some today and felt so sick after eating it. Straight back on my healthy eating tomorrow!
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have several that I keep on a blog outside of MFP. You're welcome to take a look, it's at http://blog.pittsburgh-diet-guru.com :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    google 'shiritake' or 'konjac' noodles. they're about 6cals per 100g and made from yams.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    if you google paleo or primal recipes you will come up with a ton of low carb recipes - here are some of my favorites

Good Paleo Websites for food

http://everydaypaleo.com/
    http://www.health-bent.com/
    http://nomnompaleo.com/
    http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/

My absoulte favorite dish to have along side meals (or as a meal to itself)

Faux Tabuoli

Whole head Cauliflower riced
    1 cucumber - chopped into cubes
    1-2 tomatos - chopped into cubes
    1 bunch of green onions - chopped
    kalamata olives - I tend to throw a lot in cause I like them a lot - I usually cut them in half
    1/2 bunch of parsley - chopped

mix all together then add

Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice and Olive Oil in a 1:1 ratio - I usually squeeze a lemon into a measuring cup and then add the same amount of olive oil

Mix everything together - add a dash or two fo salt to taste...it is better if you let it sit in the fridge for a few hours to let the flavors meld...

so good...
  • JennyBoomBooms
    JennyBoomBooms Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I recently became a huge fan of spaghetti squash. It's a great alternative to pasta, very filling, and satisfying if made with a little creativity :)
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Marked for future posting. I have a ton of stuff lying around from when I did keto
  • nannylil
    nannylil Posts: 4
    Options
    sounds wonderful! I think I must try it.
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have several. I use quite a bit of tuna. I love fish. I can message the recipes to you, if you like. add me as a friend and I can message them to you when I get home from work.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    Options
    I have several that I keep on a blog outside of MFP. You're welcome to take a look, it's at http://blog.pittsburgh-diet-guru.com :)

Thanks for the blog... I can't wait to try your almond chocolate butter and hummus recipes.. sounds delicious!
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I do alot of omelets :P
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far... great ideas :)
  • penroseg
    penroseg Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love to cook, but don't have much time. This website helped me make some really delicious low carb meals http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/lowcarb-recipes.html

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I recently became a huge fan of spaghetti squash. It's a great alternative to pasta, very filling, and satisfying if made with a little creativity :)

I adore Spagetti Squash - I tell anyone who is trying it for the first time to try it at least 2-3 times - I know we have gotten some nice sweet ones and other ones that were sort of bland in taste - I try and go for the smaller ones - so far they seem to be the sweeter ones...

I make a rockin sauce for my squash

take assorted veggies - i use fresh minced garlic, green and yellow zuchini, mushrooms, onions, green and red bell pepper and chop them chunky style...saute them in a little coconut or olive oil in a medium sized pot...

Then I take a can of Trader Joe plum tomatoes with basil - dump in a bowl and use my immersion blender to blend it up - add in a bit of salt and italian seasonings and then dump into the pot with the veggies....let simmer and warm through for about 15 minutes - best sauce ever...

Last time we added some of my husbands homemade polish sausage (cut it into chunks and sauteed it so it was cooked through before adding to the sauce...it was delicious...

The above makes enough for about 6 GENEROUS servings...