When should I start lifting weights?

Options
**I posted this under a different subject but only got one response, decided to try again**

I have 110lbs to lose. Should I start lifting now or wait until I'm 30lbs to UGW. If I should start now is circuit machine weights enough, or should I start a program of free weights.

Currently I walk 3.26 to 7 miles a day. Just started C25k. Sundays I walk 5k on treadmill, 60min boot camp, 35min elliptical interval session, 30min swimming laps. Can I continue my routine once I start weights or do I need a rest day? I'm working toward 5k in May and I really don't want to give up any training days.

5'6
SW 280 01/03/12
CW 260
GW 180 Jan 2013

UGW 150 Tone, tight, and Sexy by 10/1/2013 for my wedding in HAWAII. (UGW weight is subjective as it could be more or less depending on how smoking hot I can get) :wink:

Replies

• mrstword
    mrstword Posts: 20
    Options
    BUMP
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Id say whenever you want! I have 70 to lose and sm starting an at home regimen today
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    IMHO the basic answer to the question "when should I start lifting weights" is yesterday.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    IMHO the basic answer to the question "when should I start lifting weights" is yesterday.

^^THIS. Your body will thank you for it... in inches, on the scale, and in your overall health. Start now! :)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    When should you start?

Yesterday.
  • heidithebee
    Options
    As soon as possible.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Start lifting weights now! While cardio is great for burning calories, doing TOO MUCH cardio will also burn your muscle! Start building the lean, sexy muscle now so it will already be there to show off as the fat melts away from your body. I learned this the hard way with focusing too much on half marathons and not enough on strength training! I have actually seen much better results from balancing out cardio and strength training than I ever did from only doing cardio. I highly recommend the book New Rules of Lifting for Women to get you going!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    When should you start lifting weights? TODAY!

And Yes, you should always have a rest day.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yup, no reason to wait. It's fun. It burns calories. It helps preserve muscles. It's empowering....
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I would guess you start now...weights are important to maintaining muscle while you are losing (so the pounds going down on the scale are fat disappearing, not the muscle underneath).

Obviously, your routine should be appropriate for your current fitness but I would suggest not using "machine" but instead free weights, or even just body weight exercise as they can be a great way to build strength. Machines are honestly just not that useful for the average exerciser. They isolate and work specific muscles...instead of working more than that one muscle. Unless you are bodybuilder that free weights are more likely the most beneficial choice.
  • smitt_3000
    Options
    why not start with light weights, so Monday chest, Tuesday shoulders, Wednesday back, Thursday arms (bis and tri's), Friday legs Saturday and Sunday off.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I would add weights to your treadmill/elliptical days...
    and I would do the weights before your cardio...
    that way you will be more likely to have better form and won't be tired from the cardio...
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I am no expert at all but from being on here & reading hundreds of books (UGH!!) I have learned that it is good to start weights at anytime in your weightloss b/c for every muscle you gain you lose more fat...I still have 30lbs to lose but I have really been into lifting weights b/c I get an intense workout with it & can still breathe unlike when I do cardio...lol...I have the hardest time keeping up & figure once I have more lean muscle mass I will definately be able to do more cardio to burn more fat...That is the way I see it but like I said I am no expert....Hope this helps somewhat!! Good luck! :)

Also, do strength training every other day with cardio on the other days & of course a rest day or two is very beneficial....
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    NOW!! I love lifting, and I still have 50+ to lose.
  • wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 178
    Options
    I'm just currently working out my arms because they're my problem area. I want them to look good in my bridesmaid dress come June. Other than that, I'm strictly sticking with cardio until I get down to a weight I feel is right for me to start lifting weights and doing strength training.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Today!
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Nothing at all wrong with starting circuit training to get toned, then moving to free weights later. At least that is what my trainer has me doing.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    NOW!!!! And I love it.....Good luck to you!!
  • osc79
    osc79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    lifting weights will allow you to get fit and tone. Also it will help strengthen you bones. Incorporate weight lifting with your current regimen.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    start now, start with compound lifts. When new to lifting it is better to stick with the basics and it's less overwhelming.

http://startingstrength.com/
    http://stronglifts.com/