2 weeks notice?

Options
jacquelyn_erika
jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
A good friend of mine got me a job working in the same office as her back in November. There's 5 of us, we work for the property manager/broker. I would be turning my notice into her. When I took the job, I told her I would be in it for the long haul. Unforeseen circumstances have changed that. My boyfriend got laid off last week and we've been talking about Florida A LOT lately (all of my family is there). My landlord is willing to let us out of our lease because she has someone who wants to move in. Just got that news today and basically that's all we were waiting on...our decision was dependant upon that. Long story short, I'm scared to put my 2 weeks notice in. Horrible, isn't it? I don't know if I should e-mail it, put it in writing and just lay it on her desk, or flat out tell her?

Doesn't help that it's a great place to work... they just constructed an office for me (involved tearing down a wall - wasn't my idea though...), I've received a $2.50 raise since I started 4 months ago (with a sh*tload of more responsibilities), but working with 5 girls in a close proximity isn't my cup of tea. Also, the work itself SUCKS and I have to babysit and get screamed at all day.

So, WWYD? I tend to make a mountain out of a molehill if you can't tell...

Replies

• LoveAngie23
    Options
    Definitely give notice. I would put it in writing and then talk about it after. Just explain your situation.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    If she's a good friend, shouldn't she know about what yall are thinking about doing? I would just tell her.
  • JenSmith1104
    Options
    Seems as if you've already made up your mind to move, so just suck it up and put it in writing (it should always be in writing) and give it to her, either on her desk or face to face. You'll probably have a sucky last two weeks, but just think of getting out of there and going to be with your family.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Put it in writing and hand it to her when you tell her. You should always be professional and don't burn your bridges.
    Time to do big girl (or boy) things.
  • sabrina32576
    sabrina32576 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I think I would put it in writing but tell her when you hand her the letter. Good luck to you!
  • elly68
    elly68 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    tell her its been great but oh has been offered a job in florida and youre going to move back to help look after your sick granny and enjoy some sun and offer free accomadation when she visits that way you will get a good reference lol
  • deejaycee114
    deejaycee114 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i think telling her in person would be the best idea. if she's still a good friend, i'm sure she will understand. :)
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If it is a good friend, I would do it in person, you owe your friend that. I was in a situation like yours when I took a job my friend offered to me. I worked there a year and got a better job somewhere else. This friend was also my sister's boyfriend, so it made it tough. But I did it in person and he respected that. If I would have not gone straight to him, I know he would have been upset.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    It's your life. That's really the only person you should worry about. I'd put it in writing, then tell her as well as you give it to her.
  • jiggs31
    jiggs31 Posts: 117
    Options
    Take her to one side and explain that due to changes in your life you have to leave. Put your notice in writing ready to hand to her so she has the official paperwork too and will know she can't talk you out of it.

Thank her for the opportunity and wish her the best.

If you do it right she can't be unreasonable and get mad at you. If she is a friend she'll be fine x
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I would just go in an say hey this is what has went down. I really appreciate the job and have enjoyed everything but due to circumstances beyond my control I need to let you know now. Really the worse thing she can do is fire you and well you are turning in your notice so biggie. Life changes and we don't know in advance what is going to happen tomorrow. Chin up, smile and brave the task.
  • Niccan81
    Niccan81 Posts: 10
    Options
    I had to give my notice at a job where I really enjoyed the work and the people, just a better opportunity came along and I had to look at what was best for me. I wrote out my two weeks, and kept the letter very professional. But I handed the letter to my boss and sat down to talk to her on a more personal level. She was so supportive. It wasn't that I was trying to leave them high and dry, I just needed to do what was good for me. Oh and don't focus on the bad stuff in the office, you will be leaving that behind, so just let it be.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You should turn in a written letter of resignation regardless. It's the professional thing to do. When you write it don't put in any of the bad things about the office but simply explain that you'll be moving and that you appreciated the opportunity to work there, etc.

Given that she's a friend, I'd tell her first and then hand her the letter after you're finished explaining the situation. Moving away is not a bad reason to quit a job. While she'll probably be disappointed to lose you as a local friend and a co-worker, she'd have to understand, especially given the circumstances. I wouldn't feel guilty, either. They'll probably hire someone to replace you and that person will use the new office.
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Definitely put it in writing, but I would also just go in and talk to her. If she's a friend she'll understand and deserves that much at least. Plus she'll end up calling you in there to talk anyway, might as well be honest upfront. The written part is for your record.

Hope the best for you and good luck with your move. :)
  • Skinnyredhead
    Options
    I would definatly tell her in person, and be as kind as possible. Dont tell her the parts you hate about the job, but tell her you are moving etc. Appollogize that you cant stay for the long haul, and then leave with confidence after the two weeks. You may have burned a bridge and perhaps lost a friendship but at least your conscience will be clear.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    tell her its been great but oh has been offered a job in florida and youre going to move back to help look after your sick granny and enjoy some sun and offer free accomadation when she visits that way you will get a good reference lol

DON'T LIE!

DO be a big girl and do it in person as you give her the letter.
  • Partyofpugs
    Partyofpugs Posts: 105
    Options
    As an employee and employer, I know no one lasts forever. Life forces changes and I just accept that. I always appreciate 2 weeks notice. I want a written notice (some people try to scam for unemployment otherwise), but I also admire the people who tell me in person. Keep your explanation focused on your life change. Let her know how much you appreciated her belief in you and that you have definitely enjoyed working there. Ask if there are any loose ends she'd like you to finish up. Work your last 2 weeks with a smile on your face and ask for a reference letter. I tell people to never burn their bridges. It will come back to haunt you someday. Best of luck to you.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    As a manager - tell her, as you hand her the written notice. I personally have never been upset to find out this way, whereas someone just leaving their note for me to find does upset me.
  • Skinnyredhead
    Options
    I like what they said above me, so talk to her, then hand her your written resignation, and have a copy of it for you!
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would just give the notice (in writing, either e-mail or make a copy of your written notice) not saying that they are untrustworthy or anything just better to have for your records. It really helps when you use that a reference that they can say that you gave you notice (you'd be amazed at how important it is!)

As for saying you would be in it for the long haul, at the time that was obviously your plan, but no one knows the future and I am sure that they would understand!